Tongue Twitching

BFS Online Support Group

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Tongue Twitching

Postby bfshopeful on December 6th, 2011, 11:25 pm

that is strange and reassuring at the same time....most people won't relate it to anxiety.
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on December 7th, 2011, 7:41 am

Well, twitching in common is also often caused by stess/anxiety. So there is no reason why a tongue twitch should not be able to be triggered by anxiety. My sister told me she sometimes has tongue twitches too (she does not (yet) have BFS, but is also (like me before BFS)someone who twitches more than average person).
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on December 7th, 2011, 7:48 am

Oh, I hope you could tell from my post that I did not want to offend you, but that I am really *beep* by the way some docs treat this. Instead of informing themselves about how it looks like to have BFS (which would be soooooooooo easy, just one google to about bfs.com), they look into their books and papers that may be covered with dust from the past 20 years and scare people to death.....Not ONE neuro that was not hit by BFS himselves ever came here to learn more about it....I am in contact here with a female doc from germany who has BFS and lots of neuro doc friends and family....noone can tell her what she has , only that is it not ALS or MS, most likely some somatisation stuff...aaaaaaaaaaaaahrg....*beep* me off, why does no neuro want to learn about this????
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on December 7th, 2011, 8:32 am

Hey, you reassured me more than year ago when my tongue twiching had started. You told me your doctor had told you its "rarely benign", which I would interpret that "possible but have not seen it yet/much".
I would believe the ci-author of Al Awaji criteria (replacement of El Escorial), prof.de Carvalho, who observed benign tongue fasciculations just once - but it is enough to say it exist.
Ask your doctor - why he think it does not exist. I am sure he will not know beucase there is no medical explanation.
Mine are less frequent now. Come on, after such a long time, you would see wasting and have speaking difficulties..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby bfshopeful on December 7th, 2011, 11:27 am

I know, it is easy to reassure someone when you are in that sane rational state. When it happens to you it is a different story I guess. My doctor did say it was rare, which in some states of mind I equate rare to possible and in others impossible.

I know that I do play with my tongue ALL the time when I am stressed. I can't leave it alone. I clinch, I thrust, I bite, I move, etc. etc. I can't help it, it's like a tic. Plus I train jiu-jitsu hard which I get cholked a lot. A lot of pressue under the chin. Do you think any of this could cause hyperexcitibility in my tongue and make me more prone to the twitch when I am seriously stressed?
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby bfshopeful on December 7th, 2011, 12:25 pm

This helped me for the time being so I wanted to share if anyone else ever has the same fear I am going through now. http://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-hav ... ching.html
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on December 7th, 2011, 12:46 pm

thanks for the link... most people with *** don't seem to feel their tongue twitching... do you feel it? can you see it?
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on December 7th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Jujulia,
I can definitely feel and see mine. I get all kinds of tongue twitches from zaps in the middle, on the tip, flutter on the sides... I also get tingling. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on December 7th, 2011, 1:29 pm

Yours are just like mine matt I think. I haven't had tongue twitching for 4 days now...wonder when it comes back...
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby bfshopeful on December 7th, 2011, 1:47 pm

I can def feel mine. It feels like a little heartbeat sometimes and then I also get the zaps. I can see them too. I get the tingling too, usaully right before it starts to twitch.
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on December 7th, 2011, 8:11 pm

I've just noticed that when I was yawning my tongue was vibrating at the same time (or maybe it's a super fast twitch??)... I've never noticed that before! and when I push my tongue at the back of my mouth it does the same! It's the first time I notice that and it scares the hell out of me. What the heck is that? Anyone else can provoke tongue twitches that way!??
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby bobajojo on December 7th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Jujulia,
I have the exact same thing. When I yawn my tongue tingled, vibrates, and twitches. I can also trigger a twitch by sticking it out and resting it between my lips. I hate the tongue twitches. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby Jujulia on December 7th, 2011, 9:15 pm

Thank you, Matt. It always makes me feel better to hear from people who've been in my shoes.
Jujulia
Hero
Hero

Postby bfshopeful on December 7th, 2011, 10:24 pm

I can provoke it by tensing my tongue for like 10 sec or more. I also know twitchydoc can by moving side to side.
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on December 8th, 2011, 4:09 am

I can provoke mine by yelling with the kids LOL, and often also by moving my tongue side to side
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to The Support Group