BFS Survey

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: BFS Survey Update

Postby pbohan on July 29th, 2011, 10:00 am

We are up to 65 participants. There was a request for me to provide everyone a link to the data. I will try to have that in place some time in the near future.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: BFS Survey update

Postby pbohan on August 5th, 2011, 12:52 pm

We now have 66 participants, thank you. Per a request I am attaching a link to the survey data collected and an explanation of the excel workbook being used to collect the data.

http://patrickbohan.home.bresnan.net/BFS.htm

From the above link you can select "Survey Data" (this is the excel file containing all the survey data to date) and "Explanation of BFS Excel File" (this is word document that explains the data in the excel file). Both documents are by no means complete and are a work in progress. If the files want to save a .zip extention, simply save the excel file as .xls and the word file as .docx. I have not run any of the statistical models on this data yet, this will take a long time to complete and will do this once we close the survey. But as long as we continue to get people to join the survey, I will keep it open. Obviously, the higher the sample size, the better the model results to identify correlation between parameters.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on August 13th, 2011, 7:11 pm

We are up to 68 participants. I have not updated the files from my previous post at this time.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: BFS Survey

Postby pbohan on August 20th, 2011, 9:28 am

We now have 70 participants, thank you. The survey has now been open for 4 months. I have updated the the excel file in the below link called "survey data" to include all 70 participants.

pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on August 26th, 2011, 8:31 am

We are up to 72 participants, thank you. The files link (A few posts up) have been slightly modified to account for the new data.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on August 31st, 2011, 10:04 am

We are up to 74 participants. The data in the below link has been updated.

Look under "BFS Survey" for the latest data and "Explanation of BFS Excel File" to get an explanation of the data. After a closer evaluation of the data I would have to classify 3 responses as outliers (for some parameters) - so this will lower the sample size from 74 to 71 for many critical parameters. Remember if the BFS Survey doc wants to download as a .zip file merely save it as a .docx file to avoid that.

I am thinking of putting a deadline on the survey, what do you think (September 30th)?
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bobajojo on August 31st, 2011, 10:19 am

Thank you for putting this together. The results (so far) are very interesting. You could also stop the survey once you get 100 replies. That's a nice round number. This is great, thank you for doing this. -Matt
Over 10 billion twitches since May 2011.
bobajojo
Saint
Saint

Postby pbohan on September 1st, 2011, 4:30 pm

Thanks Matt. I have no problem doing this - I love numbers and I want to try to better define what is going on with us. And hopefully the results will help some of us. We certainly got nothing to lose. Yes, 100 people would be a great sample size. It may take a while before we get to that number, but it is possible. We'll see.

Thanks for participating and thanks for the supportive note.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on September 4th, 2011, 4:22 pm

Well, maybe we can reach 100! We are up to 90 participants (16 new survey results in the last few days). I think many came from those on the facebook BFS site. I have not reloaded the files yet and will certainly have to scrub the data to check for outliers.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: BFS Update

Postby pbohan on September 6th, 2011, 4:31 pm

97 and counting - The "Survey Data" link has been updated in the above link (previous post) on my website.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on September 9th, 2011, 9:36 am

102 and counting - The "Survey Data" link has been updated in the above link (previous post) on my website.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby pbohan on September 12th, 2011, 9:33 am

105 participants. I am thinking about closing the Survey in the October 15th time frame - that will be 6 months. Our sample size is good except when it comes to remedies - most people have not tried a lot of the remedies outside of diet.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mwagner on September 12th, 2011, 1:55 pm

Do you have any results posted?
mwagner
Saint
Saint

Postby Malnory on September 12th, 2011, 11:20 pm

This is a great idea. I completed a survey tonight, my first visit as a member, not visitor. I notice in at least one of your discussions you are mentioning that respondents haven't tried all that many remedies, from the results you are getting. However, if you recall, the way you've worded the question about remedies, is have they helped (how much, 1-10), or 0 if you haven't tried them OR IF THEY MADE THINGS WORSE. So all those zeros don't necessarily mean no data -- could mean, any of the proposed remedies made things worse (true for me for a couple of the choices). Also, missing remedies (for the next survey) are chiropractic care and TENS units (that the former often have in their offices). Disastrous for me -- amplified my symptoms wildly. Very frightening and took hours to recede.
Malnory

Postby pbohan on September 17th, 2011, 1:49 pm

We are up to 114 participants. The data in the below link has been updated. I will keep the survey open for another 4 weeks (Oct. 15)

You can download "Survey Data" and "Explanation of BFS Excel File" for an explanation of the data. I will not run any models until the survey is complete (too much work to run hundreds of models multiple times) but statical averages are included in the data.

Thanks for bringing up the wording of my questions, that is a good point. I checked the data on the question that specifically asks if remedies made their condition worse and 17 out of 114 people said yes (15%). So, yes, it is possible that I could be excluding data from 15% of the participants.
pbohan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Symptom Management