Interesting article: New jaw from own stem cells

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Interesting article: New jaw from own stem cells

Postby Richard on February 1st, 2008, 3:50 pm

I found this article very interesting!

I have been watching with interest stem cells. But so far it has seemed more theory than application. And more controversy from fetus stem cells than than adult.

Anyway here is the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080201/ts_ ... cells_dc_3

What is interesting about this article
* This man's jaw was made from his own stem cells
* It grew inside his abdomem for 9 months
* Since these are his own cells, less risk of body's autoimmune rejection.
* Finally a practical application of stem cells.

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Re: Interesting article: New jaw from own stem cells

Postby AppleTwitches on August 19th, 2011, 9:11 am

I agree quite amazing
does twitching burn calories?
AppleTwitches

Postby Richard on August 19th, 2011, 12:47 pm

AppleTwitches wrote:I agree quite amazing

Wow this is such an old post, I forgot I wrote it.

Let me get on my soapbox. I am really down on the medical establishment. Especially the drug companies. They don't seem to come up with cures as much as they do maintenance drugs. The conspirator in me thinks this is for a steady revenue stream. Of course, the profit motive is not there if you cure someone unless there are lots of people to be cured.

It seems to me that med school have some very bright people learn a lot of stuff. But the weapons they have to cure people are fairly limited.

It seems to me that the only organization that can push stem cell research, which I hope would actually all people to regenerate body parts and 'cure' them is the government. But not our government in the US with the budget deficits and special interest groups. I feel our government doesn't have the funding or the will power.

So the pace of medical science, IMO moves slowly and more people get hurt and die than is necessary.

One man's opinion.

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby chrissi on August 20th, 2011, 4:44 am

What you can do from stem cells is amazing, and what will be possible in future will be even more amazing This is actually why so many of us (Molecular Biologists) go to different countries. Here in Germany the reglementations in stem cell research are very strict,if not completely forbidden, due to historical circumstances.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby TwitchyDoc on September 15th, 2011, 4:56 am

Richard, you are right..every intelligent person must know that giant drug companies do not want to cure our diseases quickly. Imagine if someone invented cure for simple COLD. Few professors I know said that such a person would put his life on the line...
Imagine the billions that come from nose-sprays, coldrexes, anti-fever meds and various generic medication against cold. If there was a simple cure, the drug companies would lost their major profit...and world of business is pretty cruel place.
On the other hand, such rare disease like BFS are something they even do not know about..
TwitchyDoc
Saint
Saint

Postby wanderer on September 16th, 2011, 2:47 pm

Indeed the world is a cruel place. People can spend over 3 billions of dollars going into war, 8 billion dollars creating a stupid Particle system to find out how the universe was created.

The worst is even if a cure was found, the medical greedy dogs will just buy off the patient and will plan to make more money.
Sad but true.

Oh yeah now that my rant is over:

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/234499.php

I am really tired of this news, they should just release a news on at least some good result on an ALS patient with this research all the time I am hearing it MAY MAY MAY!
wanderer
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby kstoruk on September 28th, 2011, 7:37 am

Disruptive technologies appear all the time, and they eventually overtake old industries, i think a flu instant cure would be beneficial to society as a whole in revenue and productivity, nose sprays versus days off from work.
As for conspiracy theories, i don't believe in them, a conspiracy theory implies a cabal of people that have a shared interest and they actively protect the knowledge about their existence and actions, the main motivator is money, there is no hidden agenda, and because of that as always society will give you an answer that implies a subscription not a one time fee.
It's not about conspiracies, it's about funding, big pharma is the only one that has the funds and calls the shots because there is almost no open-source research sponsored by states, at least not in the production of drugs, there is into fundamental discoveries like disease mechanisms and other details. So if there was more state sponsored research into medicine and drug production everybody would benefit, but nobody wants to pay those extra taxes that would go there, or no politician wants to give medicine a bigger slice of the pie because results don't show immediately, it's all down to our greed, pride and avarice, yes, ours, not only theirs.
Another problem are patents, patent are a way to guarantee you can monetize your ideas and that they are attributed to you. And that allows you to tune your prices and demand exorbitant amounts for treatments, basically through patents you stifle competition, how can medicine be more open when there are money to be made?? Even if a cure for x is discovered today, do you really think you will afford it? Cumon. Penicillin could not be discovered today, it would be patented and only the rich few would benefit, aspirin the same.
Astrophysics developed immensely in the last decades because of the cooperation and open sharing of information between people, there's no money to be made in the study of stars, medicine on the other hand is one of the most restricted areas of research due to patents exactly because it is of great benefit to humanity.
kstoruk
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)