Niacin - A temporary cure or in my head ???

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Niacin - A temporary cure or in my head ???

Postby johnny999 on March 2nd, 2011, 9:01 pm

Hello, so it seems that niacin (the real kind that induces flushing, NOT niacinamide) consistently stops my fasciculations for a few hours. (normally i get one every 3 seconds in calves and occasionally in a random area). It also relieves alot of anxiety and helped me sleep for the first time in a while.

Now, at first I thought it was a fluke, but after waiting a few hours, and the twitching returning, niacin once again obliterates the twitches :D
It also seems that it reduces twitches somewhat even after it wears off, but that I can't say for sure.

I am having "success" with a dose that just barely flushes - and you develop tolerance and can increase the dose accordingly.
at first, about 70 mg was enough to make me flush badly. Now, i'm up to 250 mg doses, every few hours. - I'm on week 3.

The best way for me is just to empty a 500 mg capsule in a large bottle of water - "niacin water" - it doesn't dissolve but you can shake it. This lets you get a more stable dosage. Another way is to just sprinkle some of the crystals on a clean surface and lick em :)

Other than the flushing, which is minor for me after taking it a while, i always get a "calm" feeling - like not tired like i'd get with gaba, and not difficult to breath like with alot of sedatives, but just like a clear feeling.

The effect is only temporary for me , but i'm wondering how it works. Niacin is a vasodilator, so maybe some capillaries are clogged with some kind of pathogen, or maybe it has something to do with histamine's effect on nerves ??

Niacin supposedly disposes toxins from the brain into the general bloodstream - i don't know of the accuracy of this, BUT it is for sure good for keeping cholesterol in check & reducing risk of stroke, etc.

Anyway, it would be interesting to hear if anyone has tried this.
Last edited by johnny999 on March 2nd, 2011, 10:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Niacin - A temporary cure or in my head ???

Postby RunningBear on March 2nd, 2011, 9:24 pm

Fascinating. I want to try it. It may be difficult for me to ever get an answer since I am really more of a nocturnal twitcher than a consistent daytime nighttime twitcher. But I am also interested in the other health benefits.
RunningBear
Hero
Hero

Postby johnny999 on March 2nd, 2011, 9:40 pm

RunningBear wrote:Fascinating. I want to try it. It may be difficult for me to ever get an answer since I am really more of a nocturnal twitcher than a consistent daytime nighttime twitcher. But I am also interested in the other health benefits.

Yeah, some of the studies are pretty nice

here are a few snippets i found to lure you guys into trying it :P

When rats with ischemic stroke were given niacin, their brains showed growth of new blood vessels, and sprouting of nerve cells which greatly improved neurological outcome.

#
# Niacin has been shown to reduce mortality and nonfatal myocardial infarction (MI) in large clinical trials. For example, in the Coronary Drug Project, patients with a history of MI were randomized to receive niacin (n = 1,119) or placebo (n = 2,789) for 5 years.6 The risk of MI was significantly reduced in patients receiving niacin at 5 years, but niacin had no significant effect on mortality at this time point. However, in a 10-year follow-up of patients in this study (15 years after the study was initiated), mortality was significantly lower in patients who had been treated with niacin than in those who had received placebo.

that's all i found :(

it's also used in schizophrenia and i've seen a few people "swearing by it" for lyme (NON-Verified reports) but promising nonetheless
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dreadpirateroberts on March 3rd, 2011, 9:19 am

If it works for you, keep at it! I take niacin for its cholesterol/triglyceride lowering properties. It does nothing for my twitching as far as I can tell.
dreadpirateroberts
Hero
Hero

Postby RunningBear on March 4th, 2011, 8:42 pm

OK, I took 100 mg of Niacin (B-3, Solaray brand) 20 minutes ago. Soon after, the flushing came on fast and furious and my hands and legs felt like they were being blow torched. Seriously uncomfortable, worse than any BFS symptom I have ever had. This is subsiding now. My twitches are not consistent, there are many hours I go without any, or ones that I feel at least. But indeed in the middle of the flushing I felt my shoulder thump thump. I will continue to monitor this for the rest of the evening. SO far though, I think I will stick with the twitches.
RunningBear
Hero
Hero

Postby chicagobfs on March 5th, 2011, 12:09 am

Thats a common reaction to niacin, some people just can't take it.
chicagobfs
Hero
Hero

Postby johnny999 on March 5th, 2011, 12:31 am

Soon after, the flushing came on fast and furious and my hands and legs felt like they were being blow torched.

yeep, it felt annoying, even scary the first few times i took it, but if you can embrace it and slowly build up, the vasodilation actually feels good :)

Also gives a nice bronzeish tinge if you don't over do it

One combo i like is coffee + niacin - the vasodilation from niacin counteracts the constriction from caffeine, which lowers blood pressure and makes heavy exercise safer (i hope) while still having all the energy

But indeed in the middle of the flushing I felt my shoulder thump thump.

Might try a smaller dose - e.g. 25 - 70 mgs.

If the flushing is slight, it's barely noticeable.
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnny999 on March 5th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Today i tried a full 500 mg dose all at once.
Code: Select all
Note: this might just kill someone if you don't slowly build up.

The warmth felt glorious, and there was actually less flushing than I expected.

Then, as it started to wear off an hour later, i took another 500 mg . This didn't do anything at all for some reason - I guess I wore my niacin receptors out :D :D :D
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnny999 on April 8th, 2011, 11:36 pm

I believe the niacin temporary helps for me because it increases blood sugar, increases nutrient supply throughout the brain (re-wiring blood flow through vasodilation)

Also makes me Very nice / tired before bed

It's supposedly a cure for schizophrenia, but I hope that's not what i have :P
johnny999
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby bfshopeful on April 12th, 2011, 11:26 pm

all vitamin B suppliments are good...if you can take it keep it up...i think it's a placebo effect...but whatever works
"It's mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter."
bfshopeful
Saint
Saint

Postby paulhp on April 15th, 2011, 3:07 pm

We could just obtain this from food
http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info/bo ... c.html#rdi
paulhp

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management