To our New Zealand BFS'rs

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

To our New Zealand BFS'rs

Postby glitterwater on February 22nd, 2011, 12:45 pm

I know we have several members from New Zealand, including Simon who was impacted by the last earthquake there. I don't know if you'll be able to receive our messages, but please know we are all very concerned about all of you. It looks like Hell on earth from the news footage. New Zealand is such a peaceful, pro-environment country. Getting hit by 2 major earthquakes in six months just doesn't seem fair.

Sending my best,
Terri
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: To our New Zealand BFS'rs

Postby mommylondon on February 22nd, 2011, 2:48 pm

Was there another one, what did I miss??
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby anxietysucks on February 22nd, 2011, 3:13 pm

Yes there was another, and that is where my wife is going in 2.5 months. She is spending 10 days there as part of her MBA. :?
anxietysucks
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby glitterwater on February 22nd, 2011, 5:39 pm

Yes, another one. Centered in Christchurch, New Zealand.
"O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me." Psalms 30:2
glitterwater
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aussie sufferer on February 22nd, 2011, 7:04 pm

yes, tragedy has struck Christchurch again. I saw the pickys on TV- devastation.
Simon, we hope you and the family are OK.
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby simon_w on February 26th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Thanks all for thinking of us here in Christchurch. My family and I have all survived, which is a blessing. The death toll currently stands at 123 and looks set to rise to over 200. Several of my colleagues have been killed unfortunately plus at least one of my patients, a mother with a young family. Our rental home is not too badly damaged at all - we even have power and water and are allowed to flush the toilet once a day! Losing our home in the September earthquake was a blessing in disguise in that we were able to find a rental home back then without too much trouble, whereas now, with so many people displaced from their homes and with so many houses uninhabitable, it is very difficult for people to find anywhere to live. Many are sensibly leaving town. My medical practice is without power, water or sewage so it has been an interesting experience trying to offer medical care to people but we are muddling through. The practice was evacuated on Friday night because it is at the bottom of a hill above which lie a number of large boulders that were displaced by the earthquake, so we are looking for somewhere to relocate to. As well as being a GP I am the clinical leader of our GP organisation so I've been busy trying to get the infrastructure of primary care up and running - generators, portaloos, bottled water, essential supplies, pastoral care to the families of colleagues who have been killed or are missing etc...
Overseas groups are arriving thick and fast to offer aid, both medical and rescue teams - it's been overwhelming how so many groups from around the world have supported us.
The people of the city are showing themselves to be strong and resilient and there are many moving stories of bravery and kindness which are very humbling.
The city centre and several suburbs are in a very bad way and a lot of our landmark buildings are lost - rebuilding our beautiful city will be a long old job but we'll get there.
Thanks for all your thoughts.
Regards
Simon
Fascics since Sep 08 when aged 44. Abnormal EMG (denervation/reinnervation L quads); brisk reflexes R arm on one clinical exam. Health anxiety in early stages, less so now
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Postby msm on February 26th, 2011, 4:07 pm

Simon I am so gad your family survived and is doing well. I hope you know you are in all of our thoughts and prayers. God bless you and your family and all the people of New Zealand who are facing this crisis again.Stay well.

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby aussie sufferer on February 26th, 2011, 8:52 pm

Sad news about your work collegues and that poor young mother Simon :( But is is great news to hear that you and your family are OK. Thankyou for also taking the time to inform us,at time when every minute of your day must be very precious. You kiwis are a very resilient bunch, and although very hard, you will get through this 'no worries'.
cheers, take car and look after yourself and your family
your aussie mate
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)