Burning sensation in calf

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Burning sensation in calf

Postby michacar on November 19th, 2010, 11:55 pm

I´ve been having a painful burning sensation in my "24/7" calf that´s been going on for 4 days now. Even keeps
me from sleeping. I´ve had this burning before but never for so long. Is this also part of BFS or could it be relate to some other condition?
michacar

Re: Burning sensation in calf

Postby mommylondon on November 20th, 2010, 12:54 am

Its completely BFS normal. You can type this one in the search function and have plenty of reading for hours. Many have had this on here. :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby aussie sufferer on November 20th, 2010, 2:16 am

I get this, Probably BFS related, but if the burning feels like and ultra-sensitivety of the skin area (to touch), that can be a pinched/restricted nerve form higher up. Local inflamation from perhaps lower back issues perhaps. The nerve gets 'squeezed' by surrounding inflamed (swelling) tissue. Do you have lower back issues? Lower back affects a heap of nerves in legs/feet/stomach area. Will probably go away eventually when nerve settles. Anti-inflamatories may help if it is a pinched nerve.
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby michacar on November 20th, 2010, 2:20 am

No, doesn´t feel sensitve to touch. It feels as if the muscle is burning; meanwhile not just in my calf -it´s crawling up to my thigh... I also have the desire to constantly stretch my leg. Here I am again doing stupid strength exercises again :(
michacar

Postby michacar on November 20th, 2010, 2:26 am

I did have back surgery 10 years ago. the slipped disc had pressed on the nerve of my right leg (the 24/7 twitcher). But I have not had any problems with my back since then. Of course that doesn´t mean that something couldn´t be wrong again with my lower back but it would not explain the twitches I have everywhere else in my body.
michacar

Postby MangiPNG on November 20th, 2010, 2:53 am

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've been twitching for two yrs now and out of nowhere my calves started burning constantly. When it started about a month or so ago my Neuro issued another EMG...normal! She's as perplexed as I am but I'm the one dealing with the burning calves. She put me on Gabapentin (aka neurontin) but that seemed to make things worse, which isn't supposed to happen with that med - it may have just been coincidence. My burning also effects my hip occasionally but it's intermittent. Have you experienced any numbness? I have on the top of my left foot. I've found stretching helps but only short term. Massaging the calves also helps for the short term. If you find any remedies, please post them. I'll do the same...
MangiPNG

Postby aussie sufferer on November 20th, 2010, 3:25 am

yeh OK, funny it is mentioned, I also get the hip burn on occasion, forgot about that. Hmmm...... yeh any back issues and twitching not connected ie back issues wont cause twitching.Two seperate issues. See how it goes. Burning could be back related ,seeing you have had surgery, but could be co-incidence. If it is BFS related it will settle down, probably within days. If it is progressingd or not settling , say with the next 2-3 days,( then it will be a week) then a trip to the Drs may be needed to get it checked out. Backs ( associated nerves) are strange things, and even more so after surgery! Yes, I have had lower back surgery as well, a spinal fusion, so I know the issues only too well! My burning does move on, but mostly after no more than a day or two at most, and is exacerbated by any back overuse! Keep us posted...
take care
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby michacar on November 20th, 2010, 4:04 am

I´ve been massaging and stretching my calf like crazy- like MangiPNG said- only helps short term. Guess I´ll just have
to wait and be patient. (isn´t that what BFS is all about?) To be honest, I don´t want to go back to the doctor right now. It freaks me out every time. I have not been able to find a Neuro I´m really comfortable with. Next appointment with neuro nr 3 is in January.
michacar

Postby aussie sufferer on November 20th, 2010, 4:09 am

OK, sounds like you have a plan. I was thinking more GP, not neuro, if it is back issue could be 'simple' fix. Yep BFS is definately a long term plan..where patience ( and tolerance) is truely a virtue!
good luck
Cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby angusglover on November 29th, 2010, 4:30 am

The burning sensation has been a real problem for me for over 2.5 years. recently though I have been getting it in both arms, I used to only get it in my feet!!!!! Both arms now, hands and all over my legs!!! Drives me insane.....
"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"
angusglover
Saint
Saint

Postby michacar on November 29th, 2010, 2:07 pm

Great. And I´ve only had this for 2 weeks... :( The burning is moving from my calf to my thigh and back. It´s driving me crazy. Had a bad day today with burning and a real deep pain in my calfmuscles. A new symptom.. I guess that´s what´s really driving me crazy- that constant change of symptoms and me having to adapt to it and try not to freak out.
michacar

Postby MangiPNG on November 30th, 2010, 7:24 pm

ironically, my calf burning subsided a few days after posting on this thread. i woke up one morning and it was gone. i only had it for a few weeks after i increased my dosage of neurontin, which i stopped and the burning went away. Go figure...
MangiPNG

Postby mary_cali80 on July 25th, 2014, 11:24 pm

michacar wrote:Great. And I´ve only had this for 2 weeks... :( The burning is moving from my calf to my thigh and back. It´s driving me crazy. Had a bad day today with burning and a real deep pain in my calfmuscles. A new symptom.. I guess that´s what´s really driving me crazy- that constant change of symptoms and me having to adapt to it and try not to freak out.

How did this turn out for you? I have the same thing. I know this is an old thread.
mary_cali80

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management