Widespread fasciculations

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Widespread fasciculations

Postby fox2run on August 14th, 2009, 2:45 pm

Try surfing the word "headache"...
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby edado69 on October 5th, 2009, 10:26 am

I could have written the same post almost 3 years ago.
Yes, you're fine.

monr905 wrote:I am a 37 year old guy that has had the worst two years of my life. About (a month?) ago, I started to notice muscle twitching in my right bicep. I thought it was "cool" and didn't think anything of it. Well, I started to notice that my right eyelid was (getting stuck? twitching?). I did the unthinkable!

I started to do research on the internet. I am used to looking up different medical problems because as I said two years ago, my mother was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the right upper lobe of her lung (Lung cancer). She had a lobectemy and she has been in remission ever since. My dad died in Dec 07', I found him in his room a victim of a massive heart attack. Then my mother's shaking started. I don't want to bore you with paragraphs of my differential diagnoses (hahah I am a police officer and not a doctore, i swear!) She was finally diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease along with PolyMyagia Rhumatica. (PMR?) (taking a breath) (ok...) She is doing better. My x-wife and I decided back in June of 08' that were were going to try and get back together and it has been a tumultriuos ride. My point is that I have been under an EXTREME amount of stress. As a cop, I see live, eat and breath stress for lunch. But, over the last two years I have been on overload. Anyway, I looked on the internet for the cause of twitching and found A....L....(you know). I know I am trying to be humorous, but I am scared out of my freakin mind. Aisde from the stress, the only thing that I can think of that would cause anoything like this was the fact that I aggravated my mid to low back again by over exerting and picking up a very heavy bag a month ago that I had no business picking up (back injury? Cause?)....

As of today, fasculations are mostly in my right calf, and thigh, sometimes left, right arm, abdomen, right shoulder and right eyelid and ONCE between my left thumb and index finger(that freaked me out! ). My recent nightly ritual of a glass (or two ) of wine and my 5mg of diazepam seem to slow them down, but they seem to be getting worse and so does my anxiety. I don't have any weakness that I know of or any other signs but am deathly afraid that I am not going to see my kids grow up. My fasculations happen many times a day for about 5 to 15 seconds at a time.

I went to the doctor this Monday and he told me that most people with "Adam Lincoln Samuel" (cop lingo, guys) come in looking like a "ragdoll" and eyelid twitches made him believe that I am not managing my anxiety. (right? ) He told me to schedule an appointment with him in 8 yes... E I G H T weeks and we would evaulate from there. I went home twitched a bit and called him back to have him give me a referral to a neuro appt.
I have never been more nervous in my life!!!! I have always been OCD and a hypochondriac, but the twitching is no omnious! I am doing pushups, running, opening peanut butter jars after tightining as hard as I can, trying to caryy extra loads of plastic grocery bags with one hand, just to keep proving to my self that I am not losing muscle strength.

I don't know why I am rambling, I guess I am just hoping that someone that reads this post will help reassure me this sounds like BFS. I have never been the type of guy to really take day by day and enjoy it. I tell ya! The last two years changed me and this experience, if I live through it has really metamophisied me.The one thing that I noticed on these forums are the lack of successes after these, "Oh my god, I'm dying" posts. I promise that if on 5/26/10 I am healthy, I will repost here (I already set my BlackBerry ) If there is one thing I need righht now is LOGICAL hope.
I arrived at the neuro on Friday and I have to say that the 10 minutes that I waited in the waiting room seemed like years! I went in and the doc interviewed me and went over my history. He did a semi-quick physical exam, push this, pull this, step on the gas, etc. He then told me that before we went any further, I did not have ALS as I would have muscle weakness and wasting that I would not have to look for, it would find me. He did an exam with somthing that looked like a stun gun on idfferent muscles in my right hand and arm and told me that the pins and needles feelings in my right hand were from a mild carpal tunnel syndrome. Then came the EMG, I have to say that it was pretty much painless and he tested my arms and legs were most of my fasciciulations happen. He only saw one fasciculation on my thigh, not during the EMG and none during the EMG. He explained that the fasciculations with MND happen after muscle death. He scheduled me for a followup in one month to do some imaging for my possible back injury and sent me for thyroid bloodwork. He skipped the Lyme test, because I guess ticks in Rochester, NY are Lymeless? He diagnosed me with BFS and told me to get my anxiety under control.
I still have been getting twitching over the last week and even noticed more in my left thumb. I am trying to accept the benign diagnosis, but it is hard to go from twitchless to twitching all the time and accept that it is normal.
Joking aside, these widespread fasculations are ruining my life. Help.
God Bless.
Anthony
Fasciculating from the 25/03/2007 (as accurately as I can recall!...)
edado69
Saint
Saint

Postby monr905 on November 22nd, 2009, 8:52 pm

Where to begin?

Well Since I posted last, things calmed down a bit. I want on a diet and exersise regimen and lost that 35 pounds. (I'm hovering at about 175 to 180) yay! Anyway. After a HORRIBLE allergic reaction to PPD, the chemical in dark hairdye, and a week of the hystimenic reaction to that, The fasiculations are out of freaking control! Calves, feet, right eyelid are consistant, while other places, abdomen, thigs,etc are sporatic. I can pull my pantleg up at any time, day or night, and show people the "bugs crawling under my skin"

I scheduled a appt with the neruo again who put me though a bunch of physical tests and told me once again, BFS and said see you in three months. He prescribed Gabopentin (sp?) which I am now ramping up on and adding to my 72mg of Concerta, 10mg of diazepam and self-prescriped magneisum suppliments. WTF!?!

My mother-in-law noticed that I have a butterfly rash across my nose and upper cheeks and told me to go to get checked for Lupus. I went and got the bloodwork done. I was actually DISAPPOINTED that the results were negative...and just Rosaceia.

Currently I am waiting to get on the schedule of another neuro for a second opinion and I want to be tested for Lyme Disease. I figure, if a seperate and distinct neruo classifies this as BFS and my Western Blot comes back negative. I can finally relax. Maybe exen ween off then damned benzos!

I know what you guys are thinking and I know inthe back of my head I just need to get the BFS club membership and relax, but it is really hard. I twitch ALL the freakin time! It consumes my life. I feel bad for my wife and kids. I am constantly on edge and miserable.

I feel like a nut job. Eight months since my first twitch and I am still testing for foot drop by hoping up stairs and testing hand strength when no one is looking. I assume that if I had <that which shall not be named>, I would see wasting and definet muscle weakness, by now? ( This is where you guys reply with incredible reassurance! ) lolol

Anyway thanks for listening to me ramble.

-AC
monr905
Interested
Interested

Postby jro on November 23rd, 2009, 10:30 am

I like many others have been told or have reason to suspect that our twitching is related to an autoimmune response (antibodies interfering with or irritating the nerves). If I am understanding you correctly, you had an allergic reaction that resulted in increased fasciculations. You should let your neuro know about this and ask what he/she thinks is the significance. There may not be anything to do but documenting a possible cause may be worthwhile since there are immune modulating treatments that can be effective. These are reserved usually for people whose symptoms are progressing to a life interfering point and other symptom relief is not helping. They are also used if any weakness develops. I doubt you will need this treatment but if you ever did it is expensive and if insurance is involved you want the documentation that there is likely an immune-related connection if your neuro agrees.
jro
Saint
Saint

Postby monr905 on November 26th, 2009, 1:41 pm

JRO -

Thanks for the heads up.

I talked to the neruo about the immune relation and he discounted the possibility?!? :oops:

Anyway, The Lyme test came back negative, my standard bloodwork all set and even had a CPK which was normal.

One curisouty I anted to run by the forum though. I have been taking 128% of the daily rec of Magnesium (2 tabs per label) of MagOx. for about 2 weeks now. My Mag result on my bloodwoork came back at 1.8??!?!? Would that mean that I am supplimenting a defencey? Would the number have been really low had I not been supplimenting? Or is it a non-issue.

Major second EMG study on Dec 3rd and then a eval by a ALS committee of ALS "wise men" on Jan 27th,2010.

Changed from Diazepam to Clonezepam at night. It SEEMED to reduce facsics.

Happy Thanksgiving by twitcy support-group!
monr905
Interested
Interested

Postby jro on November 26th, 2009, 6:40 pm

I'm glad to see you are going to be seen by some experts. I am sure the reassurance you get from them will help you a great deal. Regarding blood tests and autoimmune issues. I had two tests that showed severe autoimmune issues then weeks later they were normal and have been ever since. The raji cell tests I have had have always shown a problem with circulating immune complexes but I don't think this is part of a standard blood work up. My CPK was actually on the low side of normal. I'm glad to hear that Klonopin (this is the brand name for what you said you are taking) is working better for you. I found it to be the best of the benzos for twitching and trying to sleep. Please let us know if the magnesium supplements help. That is one supplement I haven't tried and I'm not even sure I've been tested for a deficiency. If I haven't been tested, I think I will do it. It would be so great is something simple like that made a difference.
jro
Saint
Saint

Postby monr905 on May 20th, 2010, 11:24 am

*** 1 YEAR ***

Well, as promised to the day, I am back at the forum one year since my first twitch.

Here is the quick and dirty:

1. I know what it is like to panic, uneedlessly about bular-onset ALS. BFS can make your tongue twitch too!
2. I am still here, no musle atophy, twitching like a madman (especially calves 24x7)
3. Vitamins, Gabapenten, and the like? Waste of time.

The only thing that seems to help is actually stress reduction. PERIOD.

For those who got to this thread because they googled "twitching" because they had a random twitch and are now TERRIFIED ABOUT ALS? PLEASE TRY AND NOT REPEAT MY MISTAKES!

YOU DO NOT HAVE ALS. YOU ARE SCARING THE CRAP OUT OF YOURSELF, WHICH CAUSES MORE STRESS, WHICH AGGRIVATES YOUR SYMPTOMS, WHICH SCARES YOU MORE...AND SO ON!

I have a facebook group where I chat about BFS too...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AboutBFS/ UPDATED JUNE 7th, 2015

Cheers and Relax!

Anthony
Last edited by monr905 on June 7th, 2015, 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monr905
Interested
Interested

Postby Sandra on June 28th, 2010, 7:07 pm

Hi Anthony!

Welcome, you sound just like all of us here! I am coming up to my 3 year anniversary with this crazy syndrome. And yes I have been where you are, and I can reassure you that it is just BFS. At the start of all this I got straight on the internet and guess what I came up with! This caused my anxiety levels to spiral out of control and in turn made my twitching worse. Anthony I twitch everywhere, everyday mainly in my calves. It all began with a constant twitch in my eyelid that just seemed to spread. I have seen a fabulous neuro here in Ballarat and it really is nothing to worry about. His advice to me was stay of the internet. This forum was my lifesaver in the early days and I come back every so often to try and reassure all the newbies. If you have any questions please dont hesitate to get in touch.

Warm regards
Sandra
Sandra
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby franciscotuazon on June 28th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Here's how I currently deal with my BFS:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15059

Regards,

Francisco
franciscotuazon
Interested
Interested

Postby billydog on November 13th, 2010, 11:36 am

I am thirty-four years old and have been going through this irritating benign fasiculation syndrome for two and a half years now. I have fasiculations in the sides of my head, my face, neck, chest, abdomen, back, arms, legs, feet, hands, and pretty much any other place on the body that you can think of. I was also scared at first thinking it may be something life threatening, but I was sent to a great Neurologist at West Virginia University Hospital and she diagnosed me with having Benign Fasciculation Syndrome. Some times the twitches are worse than others but are mostly constantly there. I don't have any clue why I have them but sometimes I think it may be because I use to do a lot of cocaine possibly, but I'm not sure. I was on Xanax at first for about a year then I weaned myself off of them. Now since I don't have coverage, I basically can't do to much. They twitching seems worse when I don't sleep well or if consume a lot of caffeine. And definitely when I'm going through a lot of stress. I wish they would come up with a miracle pill that makes all this go away. Life would be much easier and less irritating. Just my experiences. If any one has any questions, they can post them here and I will answer back in a timely manner.
billydog

Postby mommylondon on November 13th, 2010, 11:40 am

I have a question...just been kind of taking my own little personal survey...but do you have or did you ever have any sensory issues or symptoms with your experience with BFS???

Thanks for taking the time, and welcome to the board :D

Robynn :D
Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby billydog on November 14th, 2010, 10:36 pm

mommylondon wrote:I have a question...just been kind of taking my own little personal survey...but do you have or did you ever have any sensory issues or symptoms with your experience with BFS???

I wasn't sure if this question was meant for me or not. But if it was, what do you mean by sensory issues? The twithcing started in the sides of my head, above my ears and spread everywhere. And I do mean everywhere! I vaguely remembering going through a lot of stress and not being able to sleep and taking some type of medication. The next day the twitching started and hasn't stopped and that's been years ago. I can't figure it out at all! Very strange! Atleast all my tests were good from the Neurologist and they said it was BFS! Kind of a relief but still sucks! I wish there was a pill or something that would permanetely stop this!
billydog

Postby mommylondon on November 14th, 2010, 10:55 pm

billydog wrote:
mommylondon wrote:I have a question...just been kind of taking my own little personal survey...but do you have or did you ever have any sensory issues or symptoms with your experience with BFS???

I wasn't sure if this question was meant for me or not. But if it was, what do you mean by sensory issues? The twithcing started in the sides of my head, above my ears and spread everywhere. And I do mean everywhere! I vaguely remembering going through a lot of stress and not being able to sleep and taking some type of medication. The next day the twitching started and hasn't stopped and that's been years ago. I can't figure it out at all! Very strange! Atleast all my tests were good from the Neurologist and they said it was BFS! Kind of a relief but still sucks! I wish there was a pill or something that would permanetely stop this!

Yes billydog, it was directed towards you. Sensory issues, like any buzzing, tingling, numbness, stiffness ect. Like I said just curious if you had any of these or just experienced the twitching. Some of have just the twitches and some of us have both sensory garbage with the twitching. :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Take care

Quote: To mend the hearts of everyone that feels alone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd6BlNKCkRs
mommylondon
Saint
Saint

Postby billydog on November 21st, 2010, 1:12 am

You are very much welcome! But, no fortunately, I don't experience anything like buzzing, tingling, numbness, or stiffness. It is just the twitching that is so wierd. Anxiety possibly, but still not sure. I mean, like I mentioned I was diagnosed with BFS and I also do work out a lot to stay in shape. It's all still a mystery to me why I get these weird twitches all over my body. I still feel like it has to do with my central nervous system but Im no doctor. I wish that they would just go away forever, but I may have to just live with it. SUCKS but the truth. I'm so glad that there is a website about this stuff becuase now I don't feel so crazy and others don't think I 'm nuts lol. Thanks for the response. TTYL :)

mommylondon wrote:
billydog wrote:

Yes billydog, it was directed towards you. Sensory issues, like any buzzing, tingling, numbness, stiffness ect. Like I said just curious if you had any of these or just experienced the twitching. Some of have just the twitches and some of us have both sensory garbage with the twitching. :D

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Take care

billydog

Postby billydog on November 21st, 2010, 1:14 am

Sorry if I put that in the wrong place. Still new to this site lol
billydog

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext