Caveman Diet (McCombs Plan)

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Caveman Diet (McCombs Plan)

Postby ImOK on August 29th, 2010, 11:37 am

Good you posted the link - I see he does have an 'add back in' strategy. This seems very much like the exclusion diet Dx'd by an allergist for my daughter 20 years ago......before the "test your way to health" style of medicine became so fashionable. We found she had a problem with red food dye and removing it made her symptoms (headache, inattentiveness, lethargy) go completely away. Very hard though to keep a kindergardener on rice cakes and meat with vegies for long - at least it was summer and possible and it was only 10-14 days rather than months. Bet doc McCombs read about this somewhere and adopted it. So far, so good, huh Richard?
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on August 29th, 2010, 1:11 pm

ImOK wrote:Good you posted the link - I see he does have an 'add back in' strategy. This seems very much like the exclusion diet Dx'd by an allergist for my daughter 20 years ago......before the "test your way to health" style of medicine became so fashionable. We found she had a problem with red food dye and removing it made her symptoms (headache, inattentiveness, lethargy) go completely away. Very hard though to keep a kindergardener on rice cakes and meat with vegies for long - at least it was summer and possible and it was only 10-14 days rather than months. Bet doc McCombs read about this somewhere and adopted it. So far, so good, huh Richard?

Hi ImOK,

So far no change in my symptoms. I guess on one hand I have had this condition for so long that I would be surprised by anything that would 'cure' it. On the other hand, I feel better trying different things. If for no other reason, because I choose to (Any fans of the Matrix).

I appreciate your support.

-Richard
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 1st, 2010, 9:30 pm

I have a suggestion for your daily updates. When you list your symptoms for each day, like twitching and/or buzzing, can you assign a rank or severity scale with it? This will help you track which days were better than others. When you go back, you might be able to determine a pattern in what foods you ate that day and the severity of the symptoms. For example on the day you said your twitching got worse, you had rice at two meals vs. just one. If you rule rice out, a severity scale will help you figure out which other foods you might have in common on the bad days. Anyway, keep up the good fight. We're pullin for ya!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby lindahcohen on September 3rd, 2010, 3:42 pm

The cravings will go away if this works for you. After being gluten free for a year, now you couldn't PAY me to eat a slice of pizza or have some beer. Or a slice of cake. I sort of relate it to the time I got food poisoning from crab cakes and could never eat them again. My body sees the pizza and beer and my brain knows how sick it made me and protects me from it. And you are better off without that chinese food! Especially if it has MSG, which is the mother-lode of nervous system yuck.
lindahcohen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Richard on September 4th, 2010, 6:47 am

Showing how 'mainstream' alternative medicine has become, I read this article on MSNBC.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37758450/ns ... _medicine/

The program is very similar to the McCombs Plan.

1. Eat mostly organic food, especially foods that support detoxification, including cruciferous vegetables, garlic and onions. A healthy, balanced diet is a key to efficient detoxification. The lighter the toxic load on your body, the better it can handle those toxins that get through your defenses.
2. Engage in regular vigorous exercise. Increased respiration, circulation, and perspiration all support healthy detoxification.
3. Hop in the sauna frequently. Perspiring is one of your body's best ways of releasing toxins.
4. Drink at least 64 ounces of fresh, pure water each day. The combination of good hydration and frequent perspiration helps to flush your system of toxins.
5. Stay regular. Elimination once or twice a day helps to decrease absorption of toxins. Consistent exercise, hydration, and fiber will help to keep you regular.
6. If you are trying to lose weight, make sure to engage in the detox practices described above. As you shed fat, toxins held in fat cells are released. It is essential to cleanse those toxins from your body, rather than reabsorb them, which can cause illness.

Also, another interesting article showing how hair testing may indicate periods when you have had stress (also from msnbc.com)

http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/

'Alternative' healers also use this methodology.

Now I am very, very skeptical about both alternative and traditional medicine. But this is interesting food for thought.
If you are a Christian, please say a quick prayer for me. It would mean a lot to me.
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on September 4th, 2010, 8:12 am

Richard - If you keep losing weight I'm going to have to join you on this diet (I have a stubborn 5lbs that I put on during my last stress-i-sode year of working two jobs and countless deadlines). Have you ever noticed how often, people in stressful jobs consistently put on weight? It seems that the job groups who have high stress and less time to pursue quality of life activities (exercise, etc) tend more this way. Nursing comes to mind. Some think it's the build up of cortisol, and biased opinions rule. Well, it's an aside. Except for the dairy, and a little bread & alcohol, I am already on your 'diet'. Maybe after the holiday weekend...... One thing I wanted to warn you about is balancing out the high protein with vegies and fruits - lots of meat can build up acids in your system that can have all sorts of nasty side-effects. Probably something you'd have to worry about only if you stay on it a long time.

I really don't understand why more research isn't done on diet and metabolism in this country. So many people struggle with it and are so overweight and tired; it just makes sense that dietary activities should be more a part of health treatment (mainstream that is) and analysis. There is so much we still don't know. You suppose it's the 'gorilla in the room' thing?
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on September 4th, 2010, 10:34 am

ImOK wrote:Richard - If you keep losing weight I'm going to have to join you on this diet (I have a stubborn 5lbs that I put on during my last stress-i-sode year of working two jobs and countless deadlines). Have you ever noticed how often, people in stressful jobs consistently put on weight? It seems that the job groups who have high stress and less time to pursue quality of life activities (exercise, etc) tend more this way. Nursing comes to mind. Some think it's the build up of cortisol, and biased opinions rule. Well, it's an aside. Except for the dairy, and a little bread & alcohol, I am already on your 'diet'. Maybe after the holiday weekend...... One thing I wanted to warn you about is balancing out the high protein with vegies and fruits - lots of meat can build up acids in your system that can have all sorts of nasty side-effects. Probably something you'd have to worry about only if you stay on it a long time.

I really don't understand why more research isn't done on diet and metabolism in this country. So many people struggle with it and are so overweight and tired; it just makes sense that dietary activities should be more a part of health treatment (mainstream that is) and analysis. There is so much we still don't know. You suppose it's the 'gorilla in the room' thing?

Interesting message ImOK. I was at the grocery store a few days ago and looking at the food available. Most of it is processed, full of empty calories, and made of stuff I cannot pronounce.

Now I don't want to go overboard with this nutrition stuff. But it seems to me that there are a lot of really big food companies, with lobbyists, huge advertising budgets telling American's what to eat. And it is killing us.

Yesterday my son Aaron was asking me if he could try a Red Bull energy drink. Then he asked about the Monster energy drink. He is 12 years old. Why would he care of have an interest in an energy drink. He certainly shouldn't need one at 12 years old (and probably never, though I don't want to debate that).

My point is there is so much advertising for food which is not really good for our bodies. I find it sad.

That's my rant...
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on September 5th, 2010, 7:17 am

Dr. McCombs replied to my question about BFS and antibiotic use.

I didn't get any definite answers, but I appreciate him taking the time to respond.

http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1680728

I am now on week 2 of the plan. So far no change in my symptoms.

Anyone who wants to see a history of my diet, it is on the first msg of this thread.

Also changed to the word Hypothesis, for my friend ImOK :)
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby pinprick on September 6th, 2010, 5:23 pm

Richard wrote:I am now on week 2 of the plan. So far no change in my symptoms.

Sorry that there is no change :(
----
So far I'm myself following a gluten free diet.
I should say that corn pasta are delicious ... :D
I' m in week 3 (i think ... may be 4) of this.
I should say I've been plagued by IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) for the last 28 years. I've tried many things and so far the only things that helped was garlic extracts and VitD (from previous experiments).
In regard of "my diet", so far not big changes ... in this BFS.
The only thing i can see (may be or not related to the diet ...) is that, the internal "buzzing", "vibrating","kind of heart beat" (give it the name you want :lol: ) i have in my left leg (for long ...) is a lot less.
----
Like SAM said, no caffeine did decrease a lot all symptoms in both directions (twitches to muscle and paresthesia to brain) in my case. So avoid it in your "special diet" to see 8).

I hope this diet will work for you.
Idiopathic SFN (head to toes) ... auto-immune related
pinprick
Hero
Hero

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 27th, 2010, 8:44 am

Richard,

Many (but not all) of your vibration days you eat bananas. Maybe try avoiding bananas for a few days to see what happens. Or you could do an expriement and load up on bananas and see if your symptoms get worse. Anyway, just a correlation I noticed.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 27th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Holy cow, you've lost 20lbs in a month. WAY TO GO! :D That's got to feel super good, eh?

You seem focused on your bfs, but I think you should forget about them for the time being. Why are you watching your calves every night? No wonder they twitch. :wink: Obviously the diet has been great for your over all health, and losing weight, so long as you are healthy, which you are, is always a good thing. I'm sure your wife appreciates the change, as well. :D

I personally don't believe that bfs is related to diet, or at least that diet can be used to ameliorate the symptoms. I do believe that a change in diet might precipitate the bfs, which has been lying under the surface, but once it explodes, putting the twitches back in the bottle is not so much a process of elimination, but a process of what one might include as part of a new trajectory. Perhaps a diet such as you are following is such an inclusion, because it could be part of a strategy for over all success.

OK, time for me to lose some weight. You've inspired me.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby Richard on September 27th, 2010, 7:56 pm

My wife tells me that I am too skinny! :shock: Maybe she likes a man with more meat on his bones.

I now need a belt with size 38. I want to get to 36 though. I am 6'5" so size 36 waist, 200 lbs is probably about right for me.

Actually I think my wife is a little jealous. But I am not telling her that. Night are getting colder now in Chicago and being on the couch would make them even colder.

The hypothesis on the McCombs plan is not so much diet. It is to try to fix the autoimmune system which is highly influenced by the digestive system. If something was wrong with my intestines that might be causing the autoimmune problems causing BFS. Or way of looking at it is, if something was wrong with my intestines, maybe that is causing my body not to properly digest vitamins and minerals, which is accounting for my symptoms.

Now this is very theoredical. But I am giving it a try.

If nothing else I am losing some weight, learning to eat better, and have a cleaner colon. And what is not to like about having a clean colon?
Richard
Saint
Saint

Postby basso on September 27th, 2010, 8:09 pm

6'5", no wonder I look up to you. I'd say 200lbs is a fighting weight for you, so long as you aren't fighting with the wifey-poo. :lol: Yes, the couch would be torture. Good for naps, not so hot for an all-nighter.

Cool Colon. Cool capable colon. Cool capable capacious colon, conspicuously clean.

Yes, what is not to like about a good, solid, healthy, colon. A colon goes into a bar and says "give me a beer, and not the shyt you gave me last time." :twisted:

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Postby runnergirl3972 on September 27th, 2010, 9:08 pm

I am just loving how much bowel movements/elimination and clean colon chat there is on this strand.....I feel like we are on a DR show on TV!! :D Anyway, Richard, I try really hard to buy REAL food...not processed...which means I go to the local farmer's market a lot here to get our food and I even only buy local dairy farm milk that has no antibiotics in it. I bring ALL that up because of your comment about being in the grocery store and seeing the lists on food.....a wonderful book that helped me and is a super easy, one hour read is by Michael Pollan called Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. He wrote the book An Omnivore's Dillema and is very good at making this all VERY EASY. We complicate things and then get all freaked out about it.
I am glad you have had such great results with your weight loss. Good for you! :D
Blessings!
Carrie
runnergirl3972

Postby basso on October 1st, 2010, 12:38 pm

Just ate a caveman biscotti, covered in white chocolate. Mmmmm.

Basso
basso
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS