Possible Acid Reflux

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Possible Acid Reflux

Postby megan on August 5th, 2010, 3:27 pm

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone on here every had acid reflux disease? On and off for the past few months I have been having some stomach pain, burning, and increase in acid in my throat. A lot of times my stomach also feels too full, or there is a burning sensation right under my ribs. I am concerned it could be something more serious like an ulcer, or worse (always stinkin' thinkin' over here, working on that though....!). I am only 24, which seems young for some of the more serious stuff, and my husband had bad acid reflux last year that he had to get put on Nexium for. Do these symptoms sound familiar to the rest of you? (I am particularly concerned about the stomach fullness and discomfort :( )

Megan
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Possible Acid Reflux

Postby msm on August 5th, 2010, 3:56 pm

Not long ago I had the same syptoms and of course became concerned as you are about the fullness feeling. I called my doctor and he prescribed prilosec which I took for a few weeks and felt a million times better. If you can get nexium that is an even better medication for it and they both treat ulcers. Anyway it is really nothing to worry about we all have things our stomachs react to with me its usually garlic. It doesn't hurt to ask your doctor for some meds too try to get some relief.

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby megan on August 5th, 2010, 5:29 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I guess I am just nervous because its been going on for probably about 3 months now. I had just been having some stomach fullness and discomfort at first. Went to the GP who was unconcerned and told me to go see my GYN. Turns out I had a small ovarian cyst, which I attributed the discomfort too. After that was diagnosed I started to have the more sharp and burning pains in between my ribs and my bellybutton, and now a burning in the back of my throat (in addition to the fullness). Now the ovarian cyst is gone, so I can no longer attribute my discomfort to that. Which is why I am maybe thinking ulcer or reflux.

I just cannot help but think of the worst case scenario (stomach cancer, tumors, etc). This is one major reason I am in CBT right not, to try and make this better. Oye! I just have to remember I am young, and those things are unlikely.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby msm on August 5th, 2010, 5:49 pm

You sound exactly like me. I had back pain in November when I laid down at night and I convinced myself I had a spinal tumor 2xrays one bone scan and $1,200.00 later and all it was was tight muscles which a prescription strengh aleve took away in about a month. If you Dr. has cleared you from the ovarian cyst than you might want to enquire about the reflux its very common and can be brought on by stress from too much worrying which its sounds like we both do to much of already. I am quite sure it is not stomach cancer so don't scare yourself anymore. We have enough to deal with with bfs!

Mary
msm
Hero
Hero

Postby aussie sufferer on August 6th, 2010, 5:53 am

Megan, I have somach issues (IBS) and firmly believe stress/anxiety does make it worse ( or even starts it!). Stress less and you might find they settle. If not go to the Drs- he may also prescribe you nexium, and common medication for reflux it seems. I wouldn't think it anything to worry about, especially at your age!
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby mandrake on August 6th, 2010, 10:26 am

I have GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disease). Several years ago I went to my GP with some hoarseness and a bit of throat and upper chest congestion. (I also had occasional heartburn for which I'd take Tums, although that's not why I went to the doctor.) My medical odyssey took me to an ENT, an allergist (where I found I was allergic to mold and certain grasses, although I already knew I had some minor allergies), and a gastroenterologist. Ended up with the gastroenterologist doing a colonoscopy (don't ask) and endoscopy. The endoscopy did reveal a small haital hernia and minor irritation of the lower esophagus from acid that was coming up. I was on Aciphex for a year, and now I take Zantac as needed (which is practically every night. I should probably go back to the doctor for an update.) I have occasional hoarseness, but it doesn't bother me much.

You could try two weeks of an OTC medication (like Prilosec) but if frequent heartburn persists, I'd recommend going to the doctor. Persistent reflux can lead to nastier problems. Other suggestions include not eating within several hours of going to bed, avoiding acidic foods, and elevating the head of your bed. Of course, that last one might not go over really well with your sleeping partner.
mandrake

Postby lindahcohen on October 4th, 2010, 6:28 pm

Megan-
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. I had EXACTLY this same thing 3 years ago. Classic really bad GERD symptoms from late August until December. My GI guy did an endoscopy and immediately made me stop the Nexxium because I didn't really have GERD. He didn't know what was causing it, but it wasn't stomach acid. The best part is that the fasting from the endoscopy (I didn't have food for 24 hours) fixed it. Once I realized I wasn't in pain any longer I was really careful with my diet, and it stayed away. Seems I had allergic esophogeal reflux - same symptoms, same feeling, but caused by allergies rather than stomach acid building up. Because it began in Fall, it was most likely my ragweed and mold allergies on top of my already existing food allergies, and it was just too much for my system. If you have any allergies, it might be worth a quick look into allergies and GERD symptoms.
lindahcohen
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)