Night Sweats

Information about how to manage or reduce the severity of BFS symptoms

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Night Sweats

Postby Craig on August 29th, 2002, 11:22 am

Does anyone ever experience night sweats? For the last week or so I have been waking up drenched in sweat.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Night Sweats

Postby DaveKD on August 29th, 2002, 11:46 am

Not to scare you, but you should see your doctor again. If you started with some herbs or medicine that could be the cause otherwise you should get some blood work done.
DaveKD

Postby Craig on August 29th, 2002, 12:07 pm

Hi Dave, I am curious as to what night sweats may be a sign of? I will be sure to get it to see my doctor. Not taking any meds but recently started taking a "parasite cleanse". Anyway, would appreciate any info you may have. Thanks.
Craig
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Arron on August 29th, 2002, 12:45 pm

Craig, I've had night sweats off and one on occasions over the years. Waking-up totally soaked. I have had all kinds of blood work done, not looking for anything because of the night sweats, but for other things at various times and I am healthy as an Ox. Don't want to scare you but one (hence the term ONE) of the symptoms of HIV is night sweats, along with a low grade fever, swollen glands and MANY other symptoms. Don'tr freak-out, OK? Just go see your doctor and get some blood tests just to rule-out anything. If it is just "normal" night sweats, what I do when I get them is let one of my legs hang-out from under the covers and the blood pumping through it cools off more and helps keep you cooler without getting the chills. I still occasionally get a night sweat here and there and it can be totally nothing, like mine, but it "could" be something, so like DaveKD said, don't be alarmed, just go get a blood test so you can rest easy that it is just nothing.
Arron

Postby Davey on August 30th, 2002, 6:23 pm

Night sweats are also a sign of exposure to tuberculosis. About 8 years ago I had the night sweats for a period of about 2 weeks. I was working with a person who was HIV+ and had full blown AIDS. He was coughing something awful, so I thought it was pneumonia. He went on medical leave soon after, and a few months after that I left the company. Well, a few years ago, I had a routine TB test and came back positive for exposure to the bacteria. I had to go on antibiotics as a prophylaxis for 6 months! I found out later that the fever and night sweats are a symptom of the initial reaction to the tuberculosis bacteria. Anyhow, to make a long story short, it could be a number of things. Get it checked out.

Davey
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Nigel555 on September 24th, 2002, 5:56 am

Hi Craig,

I had also have been suffering night sweats on and off for a while but my was due to the worry that I might have ALS but as soon as I find this site and found out that I haven't the sweating stopped and I'm sleeping better now as well, so if you have anything worring you my friend that can easily be whats causing it, but if you want peace of mind its always best to see your Dr.

best wishes Nigel
Nigel555

Been there

Postby Jeff on September 27th, 2002, 3:39 pm

For about the first two months of BFS (prior to seeing a neuro and when my anxiety was highest) I had this problem. Night sweats which were awful but also about 3-4pm I got really hot and tired. Finally one day I brought a thermometer with me and measured my temp. in the afternoon and sure enough I had a fever!

I've read a lot to suggest that BFS is an auto-immune thing and my neuro suggested it was viral in origin. Maybe the fever was a response to the BFS? Maybe fever/sweats were anxiety related? Who knows, I do know that they went away and for about 4 months now haven't had them at all. Hang in there!
Jeff
Interested
Interested

night sweats

Postby kEG on October 1st, 2002, 5:45 pm

I had night sweats in the beginning. I am pretty sure it was anxiety related. Once I went on xanax, it pretty much went away. I woke up last night soaking with sweat, but I was particularly anxious yesterday because I developed cramping for the first time, and it got me all worried again. See a Dr., but I bet you're just fine!
kEG
Interested
Interested

night sweats

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Symptom Management