For all the self-testers …

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

For all the self-testers …

Postby peterdenmark on May 31st, 2010, 6:24 am

Deleted. Sorry - stupid post.
Last edited by peterdenmark on June 1st, 2010, 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Best regards
Peter, Denmark
Twitching since february 2009
peterdenmark
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: For all the self-testers …

Postby twin2 on May 31st, 2010, 4:33 pm

There's a site I won't be checking out. Self-testing is always the beginning of a downward spiral for me.
twin2
Saint
Saint

Postby simon_w on May 31st, 2010, 6:10 pm

I think it is a really bad idea for someone who hasn't got medical training to try to conduct their own neurological examination. It took me several years at med school to work out how to do a passable neurological assessment and even after 25 years of practice, I still find that neurologists will pick things up on their examination that I did not find on mine (because they spend all day every day doing these examinations). So what hope does a lay person have of getting anything meaningful out of a pseudo-self examination, other than increased fear/ anxiety and possibly injuring themeselves?
On the early dark days of my BFS, I used to check my own reflexes and check my strength etc and it is a hopelessly subjective and difficult thing to do yourself and is indicative of pathological anxiety, so just don't go there!
In the earlier stages of my condition I used to self test for strength (hopping, standing on tip toe multiple times... usual thing that I am sure others have done) - I am sure that this caused a lot of my muscle pains and probably made the twitching worse. So I strongly advise anyone reading this thread to not do the stupid things that I used to do!
Regards
Simon
Fascics since Sep 08 when aged 44. Abnormal EMG (denervation/reinnervation L quads); brisk reflexes R arm on one clinical exam. Health anxiety in early stages, less so now
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)