Back Pain- Any Advice?

Use this area for any non-BFS related conversation

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Back Pain- Any Advice?

Postby megan on March 16th, 2010, 9:09 am

Hey everyone! I have been having some back problems as of late, and I know I have seen others on here before with back issues, so I am seeking a little insight and advice:

Recently my whole back, lower, mid and upper has been really bothering me. My lower back feels a little tense and achy, and my upper back feels really tight and uncomfortable. I have also been having a lot of tension in my neck muscles, and I sometimes get sharp pains in my ribs (they can also sometimes feel tender).

I am only 23, it seems a little early for this type of back fatigue or whatever. I also do not feel like this is bfs related. I am just a little frustrated, as I see a number of doctors for a lot of other things, and I would prefer not to have to see ONE MORE doctor.

Does anyone have any insight? Experience any similar troubles, and what do you do about them?

P.S. I have been incredibly stressed and depressed lately as well. My part time, contract job is about to be up, I have no prospects for employment, I really don't know what I want to do with my life, and I got a crappy score on my graduate exam. I don't know if this has anything to do with the back pain, but maybe it does and maybe this is all psychosomatic. (Also, I feel like I have no real reason to complain about this as my husband has a great job and can support us both for the time being, so feeling depressed about it kind of makes me feel like a bad person).
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: Back Pain- Any Advice?

Postby simon_w on March 16th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Hi Megan
I've nothing clever to say unfortunately other than I, like many people, have had back problems for many years... even as far back as my 20s. Like you I don't think this is related to BFS although that said I have had some symptoms in the last decade which would be compatible with disc problems pinching nerves gonig into my legs, and I have a hunch that this is why my twitching is worse in my legs than elsewhere in my body. As you know I am a doctor and I would say that there isn't a great deal of value in seeing medical advice for non-specific back pain - you'd be better off seeing an osteopath or physio or something.
How's your twitching by the way? You've had it longer than I have, I think (I'm at 18 months now)
Regards
Simon
Fascics since Sep 08 when aged 44. Abnormal EMG (denervation/reinnervation L quads); brisk reflexes R arm on one clinical exam. Health anxiety in early stages, less so now
simon_w
Saint
Saint

Postby megan on March 16th, 2010, 4:53 pm

Hey Simon! Thanks for the tip... I probably won't see a doctor for it unless it is effecting my mobility, or unless it is severely uncomfortable.

The twitching comes and goes. I am not sure if it is better or not, sometimes I think its better, but I think maybe I just notice it less. It definitely flares in cold weather, or when I haven't had much sleep, or when I am ill, or sometimes, for no reason at all. I definitely dont fear it anymore... I think there is probably something going on in my body, but I have been trying to adopt the view that even if there is, I have decided I am not going to try to go look for it. I have lost a lot of time worrying about my health since 2006, and I am still fighting it, so I am trying hard not to lose any more.

I hope you are well Simon! Always good to see there are still some old timers around here!
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby aussie sufferer on March 17th, 2010, 12:01 am

I have back issues as well. Back surgery ( fusion) chiro, physio and back/stomach strenghening exercises have helped to point. Mine not BFS related in my opinion.
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby fox2run on March 24th, 2010, 6:13 pm

Hmmm
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby megan on March 26th, 2010, 11:00 am

fox2run wrote:Hmmm

fox2run, you have me a little nervous :) you aren't thinking this is serious are you? or just thinking?
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on March 27th, 2010, 2:41 pm

Megan - maybe fox2run will get back to you but I think the point is that many of us have reported back problems either just before or after symptoms. There's been a lot of discussion about this. I thought my back problems were caused by the muscle tightness from pnh but the neuro's always think that's off-base since they've not seen it before. I just know I never had a back problem before I had pnh and the ruptured discs came after & were painful and made symptoms worse (writhing in pain does not help with pnh symptoms). My advice is, as always, practical stuff as I find it works for me. Do gentle stretches that help to equalize the tension in your back; do some strengthening exercises for your midsection to take the pressure off your spine; be more conscious of your posture and think ergonomics when you have to sit a long time. Not as easy as popping a pill but much better for you and you are taking positive action which is also good for you mentally. Think I'll take my own advice since I've been stuck in front of the computer with work for hours. Hope it works for you.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby jcrissman on March 27th, 2010, 2:48 pm

This is a little out there, but it worked completely for me. Completely cured 6 years ago of lower back pain. Cost: $0 but you have to work at it.

Watch this:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 569317147#

Read this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tension_myositis_syndrome

Further info:
http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain ... 349&sr=8-1
jcrissman
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on March 27th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Thank you jcrissman for a new viewpoint and one I will definitively look into. Always thought it was too much of a coincidence that so many of us here came up with symptoms right after some life problem (divorces, job problems, deaths, grad school pressures, sicknesses, on-and-on). I will see if I can get this doc's book and give it a read. The idea that your mind is protecting you from unacceptable emotions by decreasing blood flow and causing physical problems is not that weird. Maybe it's not just back pain that this causes .......
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby megan on March 27th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone... I appreciate it as whenever I looked into back pain and things I could do for it, everything on the internet (maybe my first mistake) was like "Please first go to the doctor to make sure you don't have spinal tumors".... that sent me over the edge, at which point my husband threatened to take away my internet... lol... so... alas...

The pain has been touch and go since I left the post, but I have pain elsewhere too, my collar bones, ribs, hips, some other places, which to me I guess points to being stress related. I know long term stress can also wreck your muscles and stuff physically.... and a lot of that isn't even pyschosomatic, a lot of times I think my brain just responds defensively and my body goes crazy... I get poor sleep too, especially poor slow wave sleep, which I think doesn't help the healing process.

My goal right now, keep repeating to myself "I don't have spinal tumors", do some stretches, and try to reduce the stress levels in my life as much as possible.... possibly a trip to the Spa Castle, any other NYC-Tri-State area members ever been?

Megan

P.S. Can someone else please tell me I don't have a spinal tumor? please?.....
megan
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ImOK on March 27th, 2010, 11:38 pm

You do not have a spinal tumor.
As the guy on the video said - we just all have a personality disorder. :roll:
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on March 29th, 2010, 2:38 am

Arnold Schwarzenegger has some info for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BANkMaLJaY4
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on March 29th, 2010, 12:39 pm

Convinced most of mine in my right leg are due to the lunbar stenosis seen on my mri

plenty of people on the spine forum get them too

http://www.spine-health.com/search/goog ... _form#1210

I'm going to ask for complete spine as my cervical spine has never been done and i think i have a problem here too

GL
raindog
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to The Lounge (Off-Topic Conversations)