My Story (Very long, but meant to help)

General Topics

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: My Story (Very long, but meant to help)

Postby ed73 on February 27th, 2009, 9:34 pm

In my humble opinion, this single post when I readed, 4 months ago, changed my whole perspective on this BFS stuff.

Luck,

Eduardo
PROUD AMBASSADOR OF THE BFS COMMUNITY IN COLOMBIA
TWITCH PRO SINCE JUL-08
ed73
Hero
Hero

Postby kevintwister on December 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm

Wow, it was over 2 years ago that I started this thread. I am glad I did because I have had countless people over that time tell me it helped them overcome this thing.

As far as me, I am doing well, no relapses of course because I know too much. If I get a twitch (which everyone does) I don't give it a second thought. It's just like a sneeze to me and just like a sneeze it always goes away.

I hope more will find the answer and get on the road to recovery.
Former BFSer, here to help. BFSymptoms (not a syndrome) are symptoms of nervous system overstimulation. Got my life back thanks to those fine folks at anxietycentre.com whom taught everything I know about this condition.
kevintwister

Postby aussie sufferer on January 5th, 2010, 7:53 am

Great read, I can relate to pretty much all of it and agree with it all. Stress and anxiety for maybe 20 years has bought on IBS, high BP and now BFS. The difficulty I have is controlling the anxiety. When it is ingrained into your perosnality to worry about not only your issues, but also other peoples.. and even the dog!, how do you deal with getting off that treadmill. I even get stressed thinking about getting stressed. Simple things like driving in traffic, unplanned events cause me anxiety.I avoid confrontation ( of any type) for fear of stressing out. I am also highly strung, anyone knocking on my office door, or walking into a room unbeknowns and saying 'hi' makes me hit the ceiling! The challenge for us all is getting off the worry cycle, not an easy task. Hopefully I can deal with it, have away to go though.
cheers
aussie
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Postby mariaj on January 5th, 2010, 4:21 pm

aussie sufferer wrote:. The difficulty I have is controlling the anxiety. When it is ingrained into your perosnality to worry about not only your issues, but also other peoples.. and even the dog!, how do you deal with getting off that treadmill. I even get stressed thinking about getting stressed.

Best place to get help from anxiety is to go to the anxietycentre.com. I read Kevins post a long long time ago. I am forever grateful to him. I listened to his advice and with the help of the Anxiety Centre I recovered completely...mentally and physically (no more twitches). Anxiety recovery is a 2 steps forward, one step backward process. I was severely anxious but with their help I managed to pull myself out of the nightmare I was in. BTW one of their counsellors is based in Sydney and counselling is via Skype)
mariaj
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby MarioMangler on January 5th, 2010, 4:32 pm

I also credit the anxiety centre for most of my recovery. That site was a life saver in the early days of my BFS symptoms. I even had 1 on 1 counseling with the exact same counselor mariaj is talking about. I think her name was Sue. I can't recommend that site enough.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby kevintwister on June 25th, 2013, 5:26 pm

I am the person that started this thread. I haven't been on this site in years. Someone just sent me a PM thanking me for this post and I was notified by email. Actually I have had several PMs over the years due to this thread and for some reason I never noticed the emails. So if you PMed me before I am sorry I never replied. Since many are older I hope you all are over this now.

Looking back at this years later, knowing what I know now I can't believe I duped myself into believing I had some twitching "disease" at one point.

Years later, I stand by what I posted above in this thread. Ironically I had some leg twitching pop up a few weeks ago and it was pretty persistant for a few days. It reminded me of my time coming here. I have been EXTREMELY stressed from work and I know that is what triggered it. I just didn't give it a second thought as I now know it's a normal body function when the body and mind is too overstressed. It faded off after a few days as it always does if you don't give it any importance. If I would have started worrying about it I would still be twitching today.

I think I posted this in the original post but I will plug them again because they saved my life. Jim and Marilyn Folk at www.anxietycentre.com are the ones responsible for me overcoming my anxiety disorder. It took Marilyn months to get it through my thick head that "BFS" is just a label that someone put to an extremely common anxiety symptom. After I stopped coming here and accepted that I started seeing improvement.

Another word of advice. STOP googling symptoms. The mind is very powerful and doing that can make you sick in itself. Here is to your good health.
Former BFSer, here to help. BFSymptoms (not a syndrome) are symptoms of nervous system overstimulation. Got my life back thanks to those fine folks at anxietycentre.com whom taught everything I know about this condition.
kevintwister

Postby chrissi on June 26th, 2013, 6:45 am

Thank you so much Kevintwister. I wonder how I could ever have missed your posts here, because it TOTALLY underlines what my doctor keeps on preaching all the time (mine was triggered by a virus which then threw me into the spiral), an which I am convinced of too. I am glad that there actually exists a site which offers people councelling in this dicretion to get rid of it. It is important that there are a lot of diseases that can make those symptoms, like thyroid issues or neuromyotonia,just a hederitary tendency to twitch a lot, chronic hyperventilation, channelopathies......etc.... but from my personal opinion and experience from talking to countless people, BFS is a stress reaction of the body. Whatever the stressor was (ike the ones you mentioned in your original post) it can finally bring you to the point we are here if you have the tendency to react that way. Other people can react with asthma,IBS, rashes or symptoms of a heart attack. Those sx are damned real. If you have been an anxious person before/suffered from OCD or had the feeling that your stress/worry management is not the best, BFS is your body SCREAMING at you to work on that.
"Our anxiety does not come from thinking about the future, but from wanting to control it" Kahlil Gibran
Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind. If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained
chrissi
Saint
Saint

Postby ag2002 on June 26th, 2013, 4:16 pm

Thank you for your post Kevintwister. I could totally relate to everything you stated in your story. I believe that anxiety is a contributing factor in everyone with BFS, and maybe even the only reason a lot of us started twitching. My symptoms began after a very stressful time after I had injured my back. Funny thing is, I used to always be the one who was cool, calm and collected. Maybe subconsciously a lot of us just store up and suppress our anxiety and emotions and then when a major stressful life event happens that anxiety manifests itself physically. Right now I am using meds for anxiety, but I now plan on getting some counseling. It is crazy how much power the mind and spirit have over the body. Anyways, thanks for the post and I hope everyone that comes to the board is able to read your post. God bless.
ag2002

Postby kevintwister on April 27th, 2016, 12:29 am

Wow, it's been almost 9 years since I first posted this and have received a lot of correspondence from people how the initial post helped them out. I'm glad for this.

I am doing good and what I initially posted is for sure true. 9 years later and I am convinced more now than ever. Do I still "twitch" now and then? Yeah, when I am stressed it often comes on. However I pay it no attention except recognize how I am not managing my stress well. It always stops and I certainly don't stress over stress symptoms like twitching, because twitching to me is a sign of stress like sneezing is a sign of allergies in the air.
kevintwister

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to General Topics