Monosoduim Glutamate

Post your questions about BFS here

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Monosoduim Glutamate

Postby raindog on February 21st, 2009, 8:14 pm

Ive been reading about some of the horrendous stuff that MSG can do to you if you have a sensitivity to it....Some good info on Youtube and articles about MSG and the food manfactures hiding this in food labeling etc Yes symptoms such as twitching ...numbness.. pins and needles ...buzzing....tongue issues etc can be down to MSG sensitivity

MSG Dangers?

By Michelene K. Bell

First let me say that I am in no way an expert on the safety nor the reported dangers of MSG. There are many proponents of MSG and the battle between the two camps, one claiming it to be safe and the other stating its’ dangers has taken center stage over the years. Therefore, I leave it up to each individual to draw their own conclusions with regard to MSG. I have provided at the end of this article several links which I encourage you to research. What is right for you and your body can only be determined by you. My hope is that you make informed decisions that speaks to your inner knowledge and wisdom.

MSG is produced by fermentation of starch, sugar beets, sugar cane or molasses. MSG or Monosodium Glutamate is a salt of the amino acid Glutamic Acid (glutamate) and can be found in many food products.

Its’ origin was first discovered in 1907 by Professor Ikeda of Japan. Made from kombu, a type of seaweed, MSG became a food flavor enhancer and was introduced to the United States in 1947.

FDA regulations state: “when MSG is added to a food it must be identified as ‘monosodium glutamate’ in the label’s ingredient list.”

Please note: the free glutamic acid component of MSS may also be present in a wide variety of other additives including, hydrolyzed vegetable proteins, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, soy extracts and “natural flavorings.”

According to sources, labels that claim “No MSG” or “No added MSG” are misleading the public if foods contain ingredients of free glutamates such as hydrolyzed protein. It is important to read the labels…especially if you are sensitive to such additives.

Labeling has become an important issue to consumers. In 1994 a petition was presented to the FDA requesting changes in labeling requirements for foods that contain MSG or related substances. The petition further asks that the amount of free glutamic acid or MSG be stated on the label along with a warming that MSG may be harmful to certain individuals or groups. There has been no decision from the FDA on this petition.

Currently, under FDA regulations, significant amounts of free glutamate can be included in food under the following ingredient labels: MSG, monosodium glutamate, glutamic acid, hydrolyzed protein, autolyzed protein, textured protein, yeast extract, autolyzed yeast extract, protein isolate, soy sauce, modified food starch, modified corn starch, calcium caseinate and sodium caseinate.

Originally associated with food in Chinese restaurants, MSG can now be found in most common food products and some health products consumed in the US such as:

• most canned soups (except low sodium varieties)

• most beef and chicken stocks (except low sodium varieties)

• most Instant soup mixes

• most flavored potato chips

• many other snack foods

• many frozen dinners

• almost all US originated fast foods products i.e. grilled chicken, cobb salads, French fries, seasoned beef, hot and spicy chicken patties, sausage scrambled egg mix, sausage

• fast food fried chicken chains

• instant meals such as seasoning mixtures for instant noodles

• fish extract made from decomposed fish protein used now in Japanese sushi dishes

• some cold cuts and most hotdogs

• salted nuts— most of them

• seasoned flour

• seaweed extract found in sushi rolls

• some processed cheese spreads

• supermarket poultry or turkeys that are injected or “self-basting”

• bouillon — any kind

• many salad dressings

• most salty, powdered dry food mixes

• restaurant soups made from food service soup base or with added MSG

• gelatin

• sausages, most supermarkets add MSG to theirs

• processed cheese spreads

• hydrolyzed vegetable protein (found in many processed foods)

• dry milk and whey powder

• yeast extract

• soy protein isolate & soy sauce

• “natural flavors” — may contain up to 20% MSG

• dough conditioners

• malted barley flour found in many store breads & all-purpose flours

• body builder drink powders containing protein

• many cheeses

• over-ripe tomatoes

• mushrooms

• medications in gelcaps

• cosmetics and shampoos — some now contain glutamic acid

• fresh produce sprayed with Auxigro.

People Sensitive To MSG

It was in1995 that a report acknowledged an unknown percentage of our population may have a reaction to MSG and develop several symptoms which include:

• burning sensations in the back of neck, forearms and chest

• numbness in the back of the neck extending to the arms and back

• tingling, warmth and weakness in the face, temples, upper back, neck and arms

• facial pressure or tightness

• chest pain

• headaches, nausea, rapid heartbeats

• broncho-spasm (difficulty breathing)

• drowsiness and weakness

Although these health implications of MSG consumption are heavily debated and there is a considerable body of anecdotal evidence suggesting these negative health effects, it has not been supported by recognized research.

Please note however, that we, as individuals and as a society must rely upon our own research and how we are affected by such free glutamic acid proprieties.

There are some groups that insist that MSG has great health risks on various body systems such as:

Allergic Response — MSG is not a true allergen but may directly affect immune response by stimulating the nervous system. It may also affect white blood cell levels.

Blood Pressure may create taurine deficiencies and calcium channels stay open causing high blood pressure and counteracting calcium channel blocking medication

Blood Vessels — Glutamate is vasoactie. It changes the diameter of the blood vessels which may cause headaches.

The Brain — MSG may bring down the brain’s barriers during periods of hypoglycemia, (low blood glucose levels) and leave the brain with low defenses or allergy response.

Digestive System may create taurine deficiency due to its effect on cysteine. Cysteine competes with glutamate. Unfortunately, cysteine is used to make taurine, and taurine is used to make bile which is made by the liver and stored in the gall bladder. If bile formation is compromised, diarrhea and “gall bladder attacks” may occur.

Endocrine System — GABA (gamma amino butyric acid) stimulates the pituitary to produce growth hormone. Research has shown that MSG can also over-stimulate prolactin production by the pituitary and cause sterility in female animals.

Hearing — The hair cells of the ear use glutamate as a neurotransmitter. Over-stimulation of cells by glutamate can result in ringing in the ears. Glutamate opens calcium channels.

Heart Rate — May create taurine deficiency which regulates the heartbeat causing irregular or racing heartbeat

Hypoglycemia — MSG’s stimulation of pancreas decreases blood glucose, making hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) worse.

Hypothalamus is part of the brain most susceptible to attack. This part of the brain directs the action of the pituitary gland which directs the action of the entire endocrine system. Many MSG sensitive persons become diagnosed with thyroid dysfunction and are put on synthetic hormone. This would suggest that the hypothalamus may be compromised and unable to effectively direct the pituitary gland and consequently the thyroid. The hypothalamus also regulates hunger, and body temperature. The hypothalamus is also responsible for rage and panic as well.

Lungs — Asthma due to MSG’s stimulatory effect on the nervous system would explain why asthma is induced in some by MSG

Nervous System — MSG stimulates nerves in tongue and elsewhere directly. Glutamate in excess can over-stimulate nerve cells until they die.

Pancreas — Glutamate stimulates the pancreas and may cause Type II diabetes, obesity, and insulin resistance.

Vision — There are glutamate receptors in the retina. Laboratory studies on animals have shown the retina to be damaged by MSG

What To Eat?

MSG-sensitive people do well with:

• Organic fresh fruits and vegetables NOT sprayed with Auxigro

• Organic frozen vegetables; no added ingredients

• Naturally raised and unprocessed meats

• Non-enriched or homemade rice milk, homemade almond milk, or homemade hazelnut milk

• Italian/French bread made with wheat or semolina flour (NO malted barley), yeast, salt, and water

• Wheat flour without malted barley.

• Canned tuna with only water or olive oil and salt

• Olive oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and salt as a salad dressing

• Quickly cooked homemade pasta sauces made from fresh vegetables

• Shrimp without sulfites added

• Whole organic milk

• Organic butter with only cream and salt in it

• Soft cheeses such as fresh mozzarella made with rennet and not aged

• Imported Italian pasta

• Black olives

• Almonds with nothing added

• Fresh eggs

• Cooking oils: hazelnut, grapeseed, canola, sunflower, almond, avocado, sesame etc. with nothing added

• Brown rice with nothing added

Four rules to use when purchasing products:

1. The more salty a processed food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate. Read the sodium content.

2. The more processed a food is, the more likely it is to contain MSG or free glutamate: powdered stuff used to be food is likely to have added MSG because the original flavor has been degraded.

3. The more ingredients in a packaged food, the more likely MSG is present. Read labels carefully if a food has more than five ingredients.

4. Do not trust something simply because it is in a health food store and the label states it is natural or even organic.

Possible Remedies?

Taurine — Some MSG sensitive individuals report relief from some MSG symptoms by taking taurine in powder form free of additives or fillers. Taurine is the body’s water soluble antioxidant, and inhibitory neurotransmitter. The body also uses taurine to make bile, which aids in the digestion of fats.

Taurine is so important in the body, that since 1986 it has been added to baby formula because it is essential for proper growth and development. Also, studies of people with epilepsy have shown that taurine levels in the brain after a seizure are unusually low. Taurine is now being considered as treatment for diabetes as well as epilepsy.

Foods high in taurine include fresh fish and meat. It is not found in significant amounts in foods of non-meat origin. Heat for long periods of time destroys it. It is interesting that the Japanese use much MSG, but also eat diets high in fish, and raw fish at that. A Japanese meal of sushi contains much taurine, as well as MSG. Chinese food, which often is cooked at high heat and also contains mushrooms, another source of free glutamate, and often mostly vegetables, would contain less protective taurine.

Magnesium — In a recent report on CNN, magnesium was reported as one remedy for migraine sufferers. MSG is a migraine trigger. It should be noted that some MSG sensitive individuals report relief from some symptoms by increasing intake of magnesium to avoid deficiency. The reasoning behind this approach is that glutamate is a calcium channel opener as it causes nerve cells to fire. Over-stimulated nerve cells can die if too much stimulatory glutamate is present. Magnesium is the mineral the nervous system uses to switch over-taxed nerve cells to “off”.

Vitamin B6 — This vitamin is used by the body for many functions, including helping to convert amino acids into other amino acids. It has been shown that those with Vitamin B6 deficiency show increased sensitivity to MSG. It should be noted that it is possible to take too much vitamin B6 and that for those with MSG sensitivity that are not Vitamin B6 deficient, more Vitamin B6 may not be of any benefit.

MSG is a calcium channel opener. This means it can act as a blood pressure raiser. It is well accepted that high blood pressure raises the risk of stroke. In cultures that use copious amounts of MSG, such as Singapore, stroke is on the rise, even in young adults. Many of the newer cardiovascular drugs are calcium channel blockers. It is interesting to note that, Vitamin B6 is now being touted for cardiovascular health by physicians.

It should also be noted that individuals who ingest too much alcohol put themselves at risk of damaging their liver and inducing Vitamin B6 deficiency. Because of this, alcohol use is not encouraged for those who are borderline Vitamin B6 deficient, or MSG sensitive.

For those patients who must restrict Vitamin B6 due to medical conditions (Vitamin B6 can interfere with Parkinson’s medications), avoiding MSG is critical, as there may be less ability to deal with an excess of glutamate.

Vitamin B6 is also used by the body to create another very important substance for treating heart disease, CoQ10

CoQ10 — CoQ10 helps the body take fuel in the form of glucose, or blood sugar, and turn it into energy in the cells of the body. CoQ10 has been of some benefit in reducing the symptoms of MSG Symptom Complex.

The rationale is that since glutamate in excess can over-stimulate nerve cells until they die, energy is crucial. If there is enough energy converted to help an over stimulated nerve cell withstand an excess of glutamate, than the nerve cell will recover. If however, there is a CoQ10 deficiency, the cell will run out of energy and die.

CORN SENSITIVITY — It should be noted that some MSG sensitive individuals complain of reactions to food items containing corn. Corn contains substances which interfere in the glucose to energy pathway. It was found early in the 20th century that diets consisting mainly of corn resulted in the disease pellagra. Pellagra is a deficiency of niacin…a vitamin that aids in the glucose to energy pathway. Niacin deficiency results in “The Four D’s” Dermatitis, Dementia, Diarrhea, and Death. The body grinds to a halt, and cells die from lack of energy. Those with liver damage or vitamin B6 deficiency manifests itself as skin rash, digestive disorders, lack of concentration. CoQ10 may help with corn sensitivity.

So, is MSG safe or a health risk danger? Are the ills of today a result of MSG consumption? Perhaps or perhaps not. I believe there are many reasons as to our health issues and not just one product. We have become a nation of fast foods, nutritionally bankrupt products and an environment contaminated by many sources. One thing I do believe, is most of us would prefer natural and nutrient rich foods…without the additives or preservatives/seasonings best suit my health.

I also read that all people with ALS have elevated levels of glutamate present in their body
raindog
Saint
Saint

Re: Monosoduim Glutamate

Postby MarioMangler on February 21st, 2009, 9:14 pm

Before anybody reads this article and freaks out, you might want to read this...

One of my favorite TV shows right now is called "Food Detectives" on the Food Network. On it, they use science and scientific tests to test out all sorts of food myths. And it's funny that you post this article now, because they just tested out the MSG myth last week. They took 100 random people off the street, and they did an experiment to see if people really are as sensitive to MSG as they think.

To test MSG sensitivity, they basically divided the people into two groups and took them out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant. Half the people got food with MSG, half the people got the exact same food, only with no MSG. And then after the meal, they surveyed the people to see how many people were having "MSG reaction" to the food they just ate.

The results? There were just as many people in the non MSG group who reported headaches and sweatiness and tingling, etc, as there were in the MSG eating group. Even people who swore they were sensitive to MSG got the exact same physiological reactions when they ate food where it had been removed. Thus proving that most people who think they are sensitive to MSG really aren't.

Personally, I have never believed it deserves its bad reputation either.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby raindog on February 22nd, 2009, 5:25 am

MarioMangler wrote:Before anybody reads this article and freaks out, you might want to read this...

One of my favorite TV shows right now is called "Food Detectives" on the Food Network. On it, they use science and scientific tests to test out all sorts of food myths. And it's funny that you post this article now, because they just tested out the MSG myth last week. They took 100 random people off the street, and they did an experiment to see if people really are as sensitive to MSG as they think.

To test MSG sensitivity, they basically divided the people into two groups and took them out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant. Half the people got food with MSG, half the people got the exact same food, only with no MSG. And then after the meal, they surveyed the people to see how many people were having "MSG reaction" to the food they just ate.

The results? There were just as many people in the non MSG group who reported headaches and sweatiness and tingling, etc, as there were in the MSG eating group. Even people who swore they were sensitive to MSG got the exact same physiological reactions when they ate food where it had been removed. Thus proving that most people who think they are sensitive to MSG really aren't.

Personally, I have never believed it deserves its bad reputation either.

There's the flaw in your post mario... if its the exact same food then it must contain MSG....many experts dont actually know all the stuff food manufacturers put in food some of it is disguised and labeling can misslead and also be totally wrong.

I have read posts from forums bigger than this with many peoples tales of food intolerances and they are frightening believe me. Not everything is down purely to anxiety. Asthma for instance is real allergy triggered by certain things I became Asthmatic and it was proven that i was sensitized by working with Iscoyanates without protection from my employer and i won a court case. Now someone once asthmatic the condition can be exasperated with Anxiety. So in my opinion a real medical condition can feed anxiety and then it can become a viscous circle.

Hi Courtney;

I am by no means an expert of any kind, but I would like to tell you about my own spasms, and maybe it will help.

Keep in mind, that until 2-19-08, I had NO clue AT ALL what MSG did to us.

I now realize I have had symptoms all my life, increasingly bizarre and insistant until I went to the ER in Feb. Since I have recognized it as MSG, and have changed my diet, all those symptoms have either stopped completely, or decreased so drastically that I am still amazed.

One of those symptoms was odd little tics, spasms, and strange muscle jerks. I never associated them with anything particular, only my body behaving strangely.

Since I was in my early teens, I have had odd twitches in my fingers, and just like you described, would start in my pinky, then to my ring finger, my index, then my thumb. Not always with numbness. In fact when they would come on, I would make a show of it to my family, we would all laugh at my strangeness, but they never really believed me, thought I was doing it on purpose.

As I said, I have always had odd tics of some sort or another. Just about 2 months prior to my ER visit in Feb., I began to have very annoying and very strong tics in my eye lids, and very strange feelings in my nostrils like my nerve endings were just jumping around. It was getting very annoying.

I did not know, or think to ask if, it was related to MSG until I changed my diet, and within a day all my tics, dancing nerves, and spasms stopped. Even my muscle aches, that sometimes twitched. It did not occur to me that this was from MSG or sulfites, until I was having a reaction one day from something I had eaten that I knew I should not have, and suddenly along with the normal reaction symptoms, I started getting the eye twitch again. My fingers have not actually twitcehd again, but they get the same feeling inside them as they did when they did twitch.

I hear you about the debilitating stomach pain. That was a surprise! I had never felt pain that bad in my stomach, and did not know it was from MSG until I read more on this site.

I hope this helps, though it may be unrelated.
anonymous
Unregistered guest

Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:45 pm: Delete PostPrint Post Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)
Eye twitch, limbs twitching, crawling sensations on my skin, severe muscle aches and pains, and those were the easy to live with MSG reactions I had. It was the disabling vertigo, nausea, tinnitus and deafness that really got me serious about looking for answers.
And, those very answers Deb provided in her book. What a terrific find that was!

This is my first time back to post about my recovery since incorporating your knowledge and cookbook in to my MSG plan of attack, what a difference it has made. Thank You Deb.

I knew before I met you that MSG was a problem for me, and I had been trying to eliminate it, but was continually making mistakes from lack of knowledge. Your wisdom was the final missing piece for me. It has been almost a year now since I made a signfificant mistake, and I feel great! Thank You.

real people mario real tales .
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on February 22nd, 2009, 10:06 am

That was one of the things I did when I cleaned up my diet - got rid of most of the chemical additives and high histamine foods. I have definitely felt better so I can believe most of this. The problem with Asian food is that most of the sauces have lots of msg and congeners that are a result of the fermentation process (fish sauce, oyster sauce, black bean sauce, and on and on). So not willing to give up my Thai and Viet cuisine I cook it myself now. I've posted some about these histamine-laden foods so won't go into it again but it is not anecdotal stuff and can be documented through research studies.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby MarioMangler on February 22nd, 2009, 11:09 am

There's the flaw in your post mario... if its the exact same food then it must contain MSG....many experts dont actually know all the stuff food manufacturers put in food some of it is disguised and labeling can misslead and also be totally wrong.

How is that a flaw in my post? The Chinese restaurant was working with the Food Detective producers in the experiment. The people on the left side of the restaurant all got MSG in their food, the ones on the right didn't. There was zero percent correlation in who ate MSG and who reported MSG symptoms. In fact if you dig around on the internet you will see a Harvard University study that even replicated this exact same experiment. Yes there is something in Chinese food (in particular) that causes weird symptoms, but more than one study has ruled out MSG as being the prime culprit. It is no more dangerous or unsavory than any other food additive.

Now as far as cutting out all additives and food chemicals from your diet altogether, that's a pretty good idea. People have food allergies and additive reactions all the time. But MSG as being the magical "the smoking gun" that's responsible for everything, that's a little simplistic.
BFS FAQ:
1. No, that's not bulbar
2. No, the location doesn't matter
3. Yes, we have all had that symptom
4. No, you're not the exception
5. No, that's not ominous
6. No, you don't need an EMG
7. Yes, you will be fine
MarioMangler
Saint
Saint

Postby Rachel W on February 22nd, 2009, 1:10 pm

I just think that it is a scary chemical and since I have had the **S scare, I try to avoid it as much as possible as this disease has higher levels of glutamate in the nerves, so if I am scared of a disease, why would I want to overdose myself on such a chemical anyway. The other thing is that they rarely label it as MSG. 'Natural Flavors' can be MSG and have you seen how many foods have that in their ingredients!!! Even Breyer's ice-cream... 'All Natural'... huh...
Rachel W

Postby raindog on February 22nd, 2009, 1:38 pm

The glutamate society and the FDA openly admit to around 2% of the population of North America with MSG related illnesses thats said to be 5 million people. Other scientific and medical Professional people people say its much higher than 2%

There's also proof that Veterans from the gulf war have much higher instances of ALS and other serious neurological conditions that maybe a result of Aspartame and MSG

About this issue of Gulf War Illness and Lou Gehrigs, you probably know there was an article published in Neurology in September. Many articles have appeared about two studies.

Bob Mackle, Director of Public Information (News from MDA) said on March 10, 2003:

"ALS, also known as Lou Gehrigs disease, attacks the muscle controlling nerve cells called motor neurons, causing the muscles connected to them to waste away. There is no cure and many people with the disease succumb to respiratory failure within three to five years of diagnosis. A new study published on-line by Nature Genetics shows that genetic defects affecting a supply line within motor neurons can lead to an ALS-like disease."

So what does aspartate (excitotoxin in aspartame) do? On the back cover of Dr. Blaylock's book it gives the definition of an excitotoxin: "A substance added to foods and beverages that literally stimulates neurons to death, causing brain damage of varying degrees. Can be found in such ingredients as monosodium glutamate, aspartame (NutraSweet), cysteine, hydrolyzed protein, and aspartic acid." (Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills)

A neuron, of course, is a nerve cell, the structural and functional unit of the nervous system. It consists of a cell body and its processes, an axon, and one or more dendrites. Neurons function in initiation and conduction of impulses.

Now we're interested in the motor neurons, and there is upper and lower. In the upper this is neuron whose cell body lies in motor areas of cerebral cortex. Its axon passes down the spinal cord and synapses with lower motor neurons.

We know aspartame damages DNA and we know it destroys neurons. Dr. James Bowen, of course, explained it so it's easy to understand. And he said: "Aspartic acid, the excitotoxic component of aspartame does not cross the blood brain barrier but is secreted into the cerebral spinal fluid by the choroid plexus located in the ventricles of the brain. There, in the brain's lower area and upper terminus of the spinal is where Lou Gehrigs, Parkinson's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis damage is most prominent. These critical locations are bathed in the toxin as it removes from the blood. From the third to fourth ventricle there is a narrow canal called sylvian aqueduct which fills with this secretion and washes the roof of the hypothalamus."

In Mackle's article he discusses a 1999 study and mentions that disruptions of axonal transport perhaps by toxins might be capable of triggering sporadic ALS. Aspartate and glutamate can be that toxin. Incidentally, MDA is a voluntary health agency working to defeat more than 40 neuromuscular diseases through programs of worldwide research.

Another recent article by Bob Mackle is titled Two Studies Show Gulf War Vets Have Double ALS Risk:

"Two new studies appearing in the journal Neurology, one privately funded, the other federally supported, both report an above-average occurrence of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis among Persian Gulf War deployed veterans." (Sept 23rd issue)

"A privately funded study by Robert W. Haley of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas and a government-funded study by Ronnie D. Horner of the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke in Bethesa, Md., both depict a roughly two fold risk of ALS development for U.S. veterans who were actively deployed in the Persian Gulf between August 2, 1990, and July 31, 1991, when compared with nondeployed U.S. military personnel."

"With deployed troops developing ALS more frequently and, maybe more importantly, much earlier in life than average, the two studies raise the question of whether an environmental factor could have triggered an early onset of the disease."

One thing we have to keep in mind, aspartame knows no age and the geography makes no difference. In the Persian Gulf at that time the troops were consuming lots of diet pop cooking in the 120 degree Arabian sun for as long as 8 weeks at a time, according to vets I personally interviewed in Huntsville, Alabama.

Remember Time Life published an article on bipolar, well know to be triggered by aspartame because of the depletion of serotonin. But the article was interesting in that this is an adult disease and children were developing Bipolar. (40% of children in the US are using it). Michael Fox wanted to know why he developed Parkinson's, an old man's disease, when he was only 30. He was a Diet Pepsi spokesmen and addicted to it. The Alzheimer Association says 50% of all nursing home beds have Alzheimer patients, including mature baby boomers. A hospice nurse told me they were getting 30 year olds with Alzheimers, and aspartame is escalating this disease. (Defense Against Alzheimers Disease, H. J. Roberts, M.D.)

And so with ALS - Mackle continues: "In addition to a higher incidence of ALS in Gulf War vets, the studies both show a higher than average occurrence of ALS onset in people in their 20s and 30s. Because ALS typically occurs in middle age, the studies hint at the possibility of an environmental agent that triggers ALS prematurely."

So what environmental agent triggers ALS prematurely? Aspartame! How long has it been known that aspartame triggers ALS? Dr. Bowen wrote the FDA 19 years ago: "Aspartic acid is a neuroexcitotoxic present in damaging amounts, in its own right at the ADI for aspartame. Simple logic tells one that it will vastly increase the metabolism of methyl alcohol to formaldehyde ... This corresponds well with the symptomalogies often experienced, such as LOU GEHRIG'S DISEASE (ALS), bulbar palsies, neurohormonal disorders. ..Diketopiperazine issue remains totally unresolved and dangerous."....

Neurosurgeon Russell Blaylock, M.D., wrote Excitotoxins: The Taste That Kills about diseases triggered by such excitotoxins as MSG and aspartic acid. He quotes Dr. John Olney pointing out the irony of a food industry practice:

"Thus, today we are witnessing an ironic situation; while knowledgeable neuroscientists are fervently attempting to develop methods for protecting CNS (brain) neurons against neurotoxic potentials of endogenous Glu (glutamate) and Asp (aspartate), other elements of society are vigorously promoting the unlimited use of exogenous Glu and Asp as food additives."

"Today the experimental evidence demonstrating the neurotix potential of these excitotoxins is so overwhelming, as can be seen from the scientific citations in this book, that it can no longer be ignored."

Dr. Blaylock explains how excitotoxins work. "The studies showing how excitotoxins work have greatly increased our understanding, not only of brain function, but also of the very basis of the degenerative brain disease process itself. In this discussion you must keep in mind that the excitotoxins added to food are the exact same ones that produce experimental brain damage in animals. And the glutamate in our discussion is the same substance and active ingredient found in MSG. The neurotoxin aspartate is a major component in the artificial sweetener aspartame (actually a mixture of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartate, and methanol or wood alcohol)."

He says further: "Both glutamate and aspartame can cause neurons to become extremely excited and, if given in large enough doses, they can cause these cells to degenerate and die."

There is a chapter in this book titled Creeping Death: The Neurodegenerative Diseases. Here are some comments that help to explain.

"By ingesting diets high in MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, aspartame and other excitotoxins, these people would be exposing their brains to damaging levels of this class of toxin. Eventually other neurons would be damaged, possibly leading to symptoms of Alzheimer's type dementia and ALS."

Remember what Dr. Bowen said about aspartic acid seeping into the brain. Notice what Dr. Blaylock says: "It is also possible that glutamate and aspartate can enter the brain without a breakdown in the blood brain barrier. We know that certain areas of the adult brain have no, or incompetent, barriers. These areas are near the ventricular system (circumventricular organs) and can potentially act as points through which glutamate and aspartate in the plasma could slowly seep into the surrounding brain, thereby by-passing the blood brain barrier."....

On page 118 Dr. Blaylock explains Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Lou Gehrig's Disease. He says: "Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease, is a neurodegenerataive disease that primarily affects the anterior horn cells of the spinal cord. These are the primary neurons in the spinal cord that control muscle movements of the body. But these neurons do not operate by themselves, rather they are controlled from higher up in the brain by other neurons in the motor cortex which send fibers down the spinal cord, that in turn connect (synapse) with the anterior horn cells. This bundle of fibers from the cortex is called the corticospinal tract. In most cases of ALS these neurons are also affected."

Dr. Blaylock discusses research on ALS in l987 by Doctors Andreas Plaitakis and James T. Caroscio:

"In a follow-up study, Dr. Plaitakis and his coworkers examined the glutamate and aspartate levels from the cerebellar cortex, frontal lobe and two areas of the spinal cord in patients dying of ALS. They found that glutamate levels were significantly decreased (21 to 40% lower than controls) in all areas tested. The cervical and lumber cord, the areas containing the greatest number of motor neurons, showed the greatest deficit. Aspartate was significantly decreased in the spinal cord only (32 to 35%). This defect in the aspartate and glutamate pools in the brain and spinal cord of ALS patients could indicate that these specialized neurons are destroyed and as a result have lost their previously high concentrations of these excitatory amino acids."

Writing about the prevention of ALS he says: "You must also avoid all foods and drinks sweetened with aspartame (NutraSweet), since it contains the powerful excitotoxin aspartate. In addition, all that we have learned about hypoglycemia and Parkinson's disease also applies to ALS patients. Low energy level greatly magnify the toxic effect of MSG and aspartate on the spinal cord."

There are many interesting comments in this book relating to MSG and aspartame as follows:

"Placebos are supposed to be completely inert substances. Otherwise the ywould produce a physiological effect all of their own and ruin the experiment. In the case of MSG toxicology studies, the placebo used to test the excitotoxin glutamate is NutraSweet, which contains the excitotoxin aspartate. It has been clearly shown in a multitude of studies that aspartate produces the identical destructive reactions on the nervous system as MSG. It would seem obvious even to the layman that you would not use a control substance to compare to a known toxin if the control contained the same class of chemical toxin. But that is exactly what is being done."

"Are the representatives of the glutamate industry aware of this basic scientific fact? It is hard to believe otherwise, especially in the face of the fact that one of their own representatives presented evidence before a public hearing at a meeting of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology in which tables were presented showing that aspartame produces the same types and incidences of reactions as MSG."

"Did these scientists disclose in their scientific papers the fact that the placebos also contained a known excitotoxin? The answer is an emphatic "no", and I have reviewed dozens of these studies. In fact, I was not aware of this deception until I received the proof from Dr. Samuels. In many cases the powder used to mix the placebos was supplied by the International Glutamate Technical Committee (IGTC). It is interesting to note that the Ajinomoto company, the chief manufacturer of MSG and the raw materials of aspartame, is an active member of the IGTC."

"This company funds extensive research programs and provides funds to major universities for research on the safety of MSG. In my personal opinion, I have to believe that both the company representatives, and certainly the scientists doing the research, must know that such studies are dishonest at the very least."

Its obvious that aspartame can cause ALS. In conclusion Dr. Blaylock says: "..But of primary concern is the effect of these powerful brain cell stimulants have on the developing brain of the infant and child and the later development in the adult of neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's dementia, Huntington's disease and ALS. The brain not only utilizes the excitatory amino acids as normal neurotransmitters, but there exists a delicate balance of excitatory and inhibitory chemicals in the brain. When the balance is upset, serious disorders of the nervous system can result."

If someone in the Aspartame Support said they were using lots of aspartame and suffered from memory lapses, fatigue, joint pains, rashes, headaches, dizzy spells and cancer you wouldn't think anything of it. These are known problems triggered by aspartame. What is the difference when they drink lots of aspartame already broken down to a witches brew of toxins in the Persian Gulf? Why would geography make a difference?

Richard Lieby, in the Dec 30 edition of the Washington Post, wrote: "The Pentagon says it still has no answer for an enigma that has confounded experts for more than a decade: What caused all the ... memory lapses, fatigue, joint pains, rashes, headaches, dizzy spells, cancer, Lou Gehrig's disease and birth defects" collectively known as Gulf War Syndrome?

And why don't the experts know? Could it be because the manufacturers of aspartame lie, the FDA lies and the professional organizations funded by the manufacturers lie. Dr. Blaylock in this book says so little of this information is known by the general public. Do you understand why I tell people these books on aspartame are important for them to have. They need to know it all because they certainly aren't going to find out by calling some of these organizations who sold out for 30 pieces of silver. And these doctors have paid a price. They did the research for us, and have battled to get the information to the public, since as I mentioned, its very difficult to get it in medical journals, or in the mainstream media.

ALS or Lou Gehrigs is also in Dr. Roberts medical text on page 244, Aspartame Disease: An Ignored Epidemic. He says the contributory role of aspartame to ALS was suspected in several instances. This association became more impressive when close relatives developed related neurologic disorders. He gives the case history - "A man with adult onset diabetes used considerable aspartame especially as a tabletop sweetener in his oatmeal and coffee. He developed severe and ultimately fatal ALS. Two daughters suffered severe aspartame disease, one having been initially diagnosed as multiple sclerosis."

Most of the vets I have interviewed over the years told me they drank diet drinks all day long. Here is what Dr. Blaylock says in Health & Nutrition Secrets To Save Your Life: .. "Using a radioactive tracer method, it has been clearly demonstrated that the formaldehyde formed from aspartame accumulates near the DNA in cells, resulting in numerous deletions and strand breaks in the nuclear material. Even more frightening is the finding that the damage is accumulative, so that even drinking one diet cola a day can produce significant genetic damage. There are also several reports of severe aspartame addiction, characterized by the daily consumption of a gallon or more of aspartame sweetened beverages." All it takes is drinking just one diet drink a day!!!!

And in this book Dr. Blaylock also goes into those diet drinks cooking in the hot Arabian sun in the Persian Gulf. He also says this: "So in the case of diet drinks in aluminum cans, the very toxic brain aluminum fluoride compound co-exists with multiple toxins found in aspartame, thus creating the most powerful government approved toxic soup imaginable."

About aspartame he says: "This particularly nasty substance should have never even been approved for human use. In fact, had it not been for some fancy footwork by those in power in the FDA it never would have."

In the Jan 7, 2003 article, Toxic Threat for Troops in New Gulf Way (NewsMax.com), Robert McMahon of Soldiers for the Truth said: "A 100 hour ground campaign that saw 148 Americans KIA and 467 wounded in Gulf War 1 produced 159,238 veterans receiving a medical disability payment monthly. That is *beep* near 30 percent of our forces committed to the region at that time."

If these troops who served in the Persian Gulf had been warned about aspartame, and read the books by the experts, many would still be alive today. At last count, 40,000 had perished.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 2294&q=msg
raindog
Saint
Saint

Postby ImOK on February 22nd, 2009, 3:51 pm

Hmm I didn't have time to read the long pages you guys are putting up but after skimming them want to point out that many foods on the 'restricted list' are also histamine producers and are high in histamine (natural and man-made) which are known to irritate the nervous system in humans and some animals to varying degrees. Most people can naturally break them down making them harmless but the body can get over-loaded if you get too much at one time. Ask any allergist or dietitian - this info has been out for a long time and correlations have been found to many 'new' ailments (hyperactivity disorders in children for one).

Too much of this talk about food and chemicals is speculation - just like causes of BCFS/PNHE. :( It just may well be that many of the vets were exposed to a lot of crap over there that had nothing to do with what they ate or drank. And I don't know about the consumption rate - most soldiers I know don't drink a lot of diet drinks - a little too girlie - and they usually need the calories in the sugar when in the field of operation.

I like to see well-run research studies because otherwise it can just make you crazy reading all this stuff. I believe that he safe way to eat for most people is with the fewest man-made preservatives and enhancers as possible, less processed stuff, and to be aware when you are consuming irritants (natural or otherwise) so you can give the body time to process and clean them out. This certainly works for my family as we all respond well to good food and a healthy diet.
ImOK
Saint
Saint

Postby nervousguy1 on February 24th, 2009, 9:00 am

raindog wrote:..

Thats why i never drink 'sugarfree' products. I always knew they were far more dangerous then drinking regular cola.
Links of interest :

Why you don't have ALS part 1
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11435&p=81906#p81906

Why you don't have ALS part 2 :
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11434

nervousguy1
Hero
Hero

Postby pinprick on October 21st, 2009, 1:42 pm

Pop up this because it's important ...
---
nevertheless what say FDA or Health Canada or others....
I had a problem in the past with ASPARTAME (for example).
It took months to discover that my body was not processing ASPARTAME as everyone and, worst, i was already sick since one year before discovering this. So i spent more than one year in problems due to ASPARTAME.
It took many months before ASPARTAME start triggering problems ... and so, how difficult it was to find it.
So, how can you know that ASPARTAME or MSG is safe? How can you know you will not have problems since those problems will not show up after a very long time (cumulative effect).
Ok it's "generally speaking" safe. It means that over 10000 people, there will be one that will be sick for example. Do you want to be this one?
MSG is already in food (There is large amount in tomatoes for example).
Why to add it in soup and more?
I read somewhere that it may be added in some coffee too (?). And we drink coffee every days.

Have a good day.
Idiopathic SFN (head to toes) ... auto-immune related
pinprick
Hero
Hero

Postby fox2run on October 22nd, 2009, 2:26 am

What about the soviets putting flour in the water....? :lol:

Reference: "Dr. Strangelove"
fox2run
Saint
Saint

Postby aussie sufferer on July 9th, 2010, 7:20 am

An old post, but i think MSG could be exacerbating my twitching, as well as potentially ,other food additives
cheers
Rodger
aussie sufferer
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Questions About BFS