HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?

Postby Mia on August 24th, 2003, 12:37 pm

Hi. I'm new here. I am a 35 year old female. Two months ago, I began to have muscle twitches. This led to general fatigue, perceived weakness, and an achiness that migrated throughout my body. My symptoms seem to change from week to week. Now, the twitches and achiness have subsided somewhat (although still there to some degree). I still have perceived weakness and cramps in my toes and calves. During the last two weeks, I have experienced a shortness of breath / faintlike feeling and a constant stomach ache/ indigestion feeling. I have had two neuro exams during the past two months that were normal, except for brisk reflexes. EMG is scheduled for september. Neuro believes I have BFS. My question is: how do you believe your condition is benign? I don't intend to diagnose myself and argue with trained professionals. However, I have researched several "progressive system disorders" such as amyloidosis and scleroderma (both of which can cause neurological symptoms such as twitching and muscle aches). And, of course, in the back of my head I still sometimes think "ALS". All of these serious diseases are, from what I gather, difficult to diagnose and can go on for some time before being recognized as what it truly is. I never thought of myself as a hyperchondriac or even a complaining type of person before I developed these symptoms in July. And, I have heard several times that anxiety can definitely cause all the symptoms I am experiencing. I have had negative blood tests (including Lyme) and a negative spinal tap. I don't mean to stir up trouble - honestly I do not. But when do you just say ok its benign or anxiety and leave it at that?
Mia

Postby Jenn311 on August 24th, 2003, 2:54 pm

Hey Mia...

That is a good question! In fact, it's the question that seperates the worriers from the non-worriers in the world. You are going to die. One day. But probably not anytime soon, and most likely not from anything you are experiencing now. But our primitive brains tell us to prepare for the worst...and feeling helpless and unable to prepare ourselves in any adequate way for what we fear, we channel that energy into worrying instead. But where does that get us? Well, worrying is a vicious cycle. You become obsessed with every little thing that is going on in your body...always trying to read into it. We fixate on our bodies, and that leads to more anxiety, which can lead to even more new symptoms....
So if you really want to do yourself a favor, don't worry about it. Don't cheat yourself out of any more time that you could spend leading a healthy, normal, happy life. And you will begin to notice that your symptoms decrease.

If you are worried about brisk reflexes, ask Kerri about her experience with that. SHe was almost hysterical after her reflexes tested brisk....despite the fact that her Dr. told her it could just be anxiety. Later they tested normal. But brisk reflexes are not pathological, just brisk. Clonus and sustained clonus, is pathological, but not brisk.

Trust your doctor. If he or she says it is probably BFS, it probably IS BFS. It is a very real, very benign condition. It can come and go for years, and can cause very strange nuerological symptoms....such as twitching, cramping, paraesthesia, fatigue, percieved weakness...not to mention all of the idiopathic symptoms we are famous for getting freaked out about.

My neuro said that if you can feel your twitches, it is BFS. The other symptoms you are describing sound like they stem from your anxiety. Very understandable though...we have all been there. I hope with a clean EMG in September you can put this all behind you! Just try and not center your life around fear of horrible diseases, because chances are very very slim that you have any of them.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you find the support you need here.

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Re:Something more serious?

Postby Zach on August 24th, 2003, 6:56 pm

I think Jen pretty much covered all the bases. Brisk reflexes are commen in people under 40.

I have had all the symptoms you describe, at some point during the last 9 months and my EMG was clean. As were 4 neurological exams.

The weakness you would expierience with ALS is very profound and progresses rapidly. Not being able to turn door knobs, falling down, not being able to button your shirt. Then the fasciculations kick in and are usually not felt initially. It is almost certain that your neuro would have picked something up besides brisk reflexes. I think the EMG is a good idea, to put your mind at ease.
Zach

Hi Mia

Postby John on August 25th, 2003, 12:37 am

Hello Mia

Listen to Jenn ,she know what she is talkng about. I am a 39 year old male and I went through th same thoughts you have, we all have . Remember the Key word to focuss on is BENIGN .

John
John

Postby Brian_B on August 25th, 2003, 1:36 am

Well Mia,

you might possibly never "always" believe its nothign serious

I been twitching 2 years, with normal exam and EMG

I KNOW its nothing serious most of the time but once in a while when they are more pronounced or occur more often in the back of my mind I think again what if it is serious.

Time will help you realize its nothing serious, and to be honest you might never stop twitching for good. I still twitch, its been 2 years but I for the most part ignore them and go on with my life instead of fearing the twitches
"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
Edmund Burke
Brian_B
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?

Postby eric on August 26th, 2003, 6:32 pm

Mia wrote:Hi. I'm new here. I am a 35 year old female. Two months ago, I began to have muscle twitches. This led to general fatigue, perceived weakness, and an achiness that migrated throughout my body. My symptoms seem to change from week to week. Now, the twitches and achiness have subsided somewhat (although still there to some degree). I still have perceived weakness and cramps in my toes and calves. During the last two weeks, I have experienced a shortness of breath / faintlike feeling and a constant stomach ache/ indigestion feeling. I have had two neuro exams during the past two months that were normal, except for brisk reflexes. EMG is scheduled for september. Neuro believes I have BFS. My question is: how do you believe your condition is benign? I don't intend to diagnose myself and argue with trained professionals. However, I have researched several "progressive system disorders" such as amyloidosis and scleroderma (both of which can cause neurological symptoms such as twitching and muscle aches). And, of course, in the back of my head I still sometimes think "ALS". All of these serious diseases are, from what I gather, difficult to diagnose and can go on for some time before being recognized as what it truly is. I never thought of myself as a hyperchondriac or even a complaining type of person before I developed these symptoms in July. And, I have heard several times that anxiety can definitely cause all the symptoms I am experiencing. I have had negative blood tests (including Lyme) and a negative spinal tap. I don't mean to stir up trouble - honestly I do not. But when do you just say ok its benign or anxiety and leave it at that?

mia i had a neg spinal exept elevated protien,negative western blot and still had lyme.
eric
Hero
Hero

Re: HOW DO YOU KNOW IT ISN'T SOMETHING MORE SERIOUS?

Postby eric on August 26th, 2003, 6:34 pm

Mia wrote:Hi. I'm new here. I am a 35 year old female. Two months ago, I began to have muscle twitches. This led to general fatigue, perceived weakness, and an achiness that migrated throughout my body. My symptoms seem to change from week to week. Now, the twitches and achiness have subsided somewhat (although still there to some degree). I still have perceived weakness and cramps in my toes and calves. During the last two weeks, I have experienced a shortness of breath / faintlike feeling and a constant stomach ache/ indigestion feeling. I have had two neuro exams during the past two months that were normal, except for brisk reflexes. EMG is scheduled for september. Neuro believes I have BFS. My question is: how do you believe your condition is benign? I don't intend to diagnose myself and argue with trained professionals. However, I have researched several "progressive system disorders" such as amyloidosis and scleroderma (both of which can cause neurological symptoms such as twitching and muscle aches). And, of course, in the back of my head I still sometimes think "ALS". All of these serious diseases are, from what I gather, difficult to diagnose and can go on for some time before being recognized as what it truly is. I never thought of myself as a hyperchondriac or even a complaining type of person before I developed these symptoms in July. And, I have heard several times that anxiety can definitely cause all the symptoms I am experiencing. I have had negative blood tests (including Lyme) and a negative spinal tap. I don't mean to stir up trouble - honestly I do not. But when do you just say ok its benign or anxiety and leave it at that?

mia i think you should ask your doctor if you can take the antibiotics and see what happens. if you get a reaction you have lyme
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby Floater on September 25th, 2003, 6:50 pm

Its benign they say...but something has to be causing it...theres something out of wak in our bodies...i believe it has to do with liver dysfunction...the liver is the most important part of our body exluding the brain...it is responsible for hormonal balance clearing toxins blood sugars proteins circulation and so on.... alot of liver dysfunction symptoms are the same as bfs symptoms such as NERVOUS SYSTEM DISORDERS fatigue muscle tiredness twitching aches depression. anxiety puts alot of stress on the liver making the symptoms worse.. i detox my liver often and eat raw healthy foods and feel way better than i use to with bfs....but this is only my theory..it could be anything...who knows
Floater
Saint
Saint

Hi Mia...I have the same symptoms as you...almost

Postby Lu Ann on October 5th, 2003, 9:28 pm

Hi there.

I am new to this board myself. I am a 34 year old female. My twitching started about a month ago, after I had two weeks of numbness/tingling in my arms and legs. Now, the numbness is gone, and I have tingling and twitching that comes and goes. Plus, my joints hurt--Like I have to crack them (in my wrists), and when I crack them, they feel better. Very weird.

Got a clean MRI (no MS), and a clean Neuro appointment. Petrified of ALS myself!!

Lu Ann
Lu Ann

Postby fastpage on October 24th, 2003, 3:15 pm

Floater, you might have a point, only because my past history would make me very suspicious of a liver connection. I have had the usual tests and they are normal but I keep thinking about something with the liver... . I also wonder about the GERD issue as I have had that for 10 years and I notice many people here have the same thing.
No man has a right to live who has not in his soul the power to die nobly for a great cause. --Theodore Roosevelt.
fastpage

Liver

Postby Sahti on November 2nd, 2003, 12:58 am

Hmm, the liver issue intrigues me. When I first fell ill with IBS, they tested, retested and over testeed my liver. It was fine, but when I was born I had Jaundice. A common liver problem among newborns that cause you to be a yellow color. They put you under a lamp and voila, you're healed. But is there a connection?
"The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them." - Stephen King
Sahti

Liver

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS