yet another story

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

yet another story

Postby dotylover on August 13th, 2003, 1:23 am

Hi all -

So I am a 22 year old female who has just now found (hopefully) the answers to what has been going on with my body for the last 7 months. Let me just state as background information that I have hypothyroidism, had my gallbladder removed at the age of 18, and picked up typhoid fever and an intestinal parasite while studying in Africa. Whew!!

Anyways, I started to notice some funny stuff earlier this year in February - AFTER i had just gotten over a nasty cold, plus a lot of stress as a college senior trying to graduate with a tough degree. It started with the funny burning and tingling sensations in the legs, etc. So of course I freaked out and saw a really great neurologist. MRI's of everything showed up great, and all blood work was normal. So he referred me to a endocrinologist because of my previous thyroid problems and such. Well, by this time the TWITCHING had started and had no boundaries as to where it decided to go. This doctor really didn't help too much either and so I basically since then have just dealt with it.

I will admit that I will go through periods (over the last 7 months), where I will have no twitching for a few days, and then out of nowhere it will get really bad. I also have some muscle stiffness and soreness, and the twitching seems to get worse with stress and intense excercise. And I still get weird tingling and vibrating sensations in my feet and legs at times.

This site has been SO FREAKIN' GREAT for me... I'm going to continue to see more doctors just to make sure that it's nothing too serious (the MRI's ruled out a lot of my fears). But the worst part is that at this point in my life i'm trying to decide which career path to take. I've always wanted to be a veterinarian but with this possible BFS as an illness, i'm wondering if stressing myself out over vet school isn't the best option. Maybe I should opt for pursuing something less stressful??

Best of luck to everyone else
dotylover

Postby dan123 on August 13th, 2003, 8:04 am

I know how you feel...I have been afraid of making decisions because of BFS and overall anxioty issues. I put my trust in God and know he is going to help me regardless...Do not give up a dream because of BFS

God Bless You,
D
dan123
Interested
Interested

Postby Jenn311 on August 13th, 2003, 9:46 am

Hey Doty-L.

I agree with Dan on this one. The BFS may go away entirely one day, or it may stick around for a good long while. It's harmless, albeit annoying...don't let it change your plans. You'll always regret it if you do!

Welcome to the forum :D

Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby Mike in Des Moines on August 13th, 2003, 1:26 pm

I'm a college admissions representative, so I'm going to put on that hat to answer your question. My advice is DO NOT change your career plans!

First, BFS is managable. It may be annoying, and may be worse when you're stressed, but SOMETHING out there is always going to be stressful. Whether you go to vet school or not, you are still going to have BFS. It's kind of like adults who tell me, "But if I go back to school, I'll be 45 when I graduate." I tell them, well, you're going to turn 45 anyway, with or without the degree.

Secondly, years from now when you look back, if you did not follow your dream, or at least attempt to follow your dream, you'll ALWAYS have regrets and always wonder, "What if . . ."

Find what you love and do it. If you love what you do, you will be a much happier person, and so will those around you. If you end up doing something you never really wanted to do, and dread going to work every day, you will be unhappy and your home and family life will suffer as well. It sounds overly simplisitic, but it's very true.

Good luck in vet school!
Mike in Des Moines
Interested
Interested

Postby John on August 13th, 2003, 10:09 pm

I agree with everyone else ,life is going to go on ,if one thing does'nt cause stress then something else will. Learning how to adapt and learning how to handle the stess is important .You are young and you should follow your dreams .
John

Postby dotylover on August 13th, 2003, 11:32 pm

Hey guys -

Thanks so much for your support and inspiration... yep, i'm going to go ahead and apply to Vet Schools and see how it goes. Everybody has been telling me the same thing, including my family and very supportive significant other. I'll always regret it if I never apply, so here it goes!! I guess we just need to reassure ourselves that it is a benign condition that is tolerable, albeit extremely stressful and annoying!

Good luck to everyone
P.S. Is anybody else having problems with keeping the weight on? I've been losing a lot of weight (and I'm already a small person)...perhaps it is stress related again?
dotylover

Postby PamT on August 14th, 2003, 7:06 am

Yes, I have been losing weight also - every time I go to the doctors it seems I've lost a pound or 2.
I thought it must be stress. Some people eat when they're stressed, some don't. That's me - my stomach gets sick when I'm stressed.

I had my thyroid checked and it's OK, so it can't be that.
PamT
PamT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS