A little long, but let me know if you want to participate!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby StacyH on June 11th, 2007, 12:06 am

This mess started when I was 24 years old and had just finished taking the drug Accutane. Now if you want to read about a drug that has a whole boat load of reasons to stay away, try read about that one. I am certain that it was this that kicked all of this off, but of course I cannot prove it.

The only tests that have come back abnormal for me was my plasma amino acid profile. First time they tested me they said I had one, Beta-Alanine, that was elevated and the second time they tested me they said the Beta-Alanine was normal and that I had 8 different amino acids that were low.

Now I did some digging and I found that it is not uncommon for amino acid plasma to be low when under extreme stress or anxiety. My GP wants to send me to an endocrinologist. When some of these are low they can make your anxiety-depression worse, as well as muscle endurance problems.

You see, its a vicious cycle. You develop anxiety and stress when you're having a bad flare, such as I am now, combine that with lack of good nutrition also because I tend not to eat when I'm extremely anxious and you have the perfect set up to have these essential amino acids fall low. Now here is the fun part, if they fall low they can cause other problems, including making our anxiety and depression worse. It's all related. So if you are going through a flare and not handling it well, it might be worth asking for a plasma and urine amino acid profile. If anyone does this, please post your results because I have been reading that we may be able to treat our anxiety and depression by simply supplementing our amino acids back to normal levels. Try to google anxiety and depression treatment with amino acids. If you take care of the anxiety (which we know BFS tends to feed off of) then we take care of a large part of the problem and wouldn't it be nice to get off the med cycle.

Please, if you are doctoring anyway and are struggling with the anxiety and depression, have this test done and post your results. If we find that our markers are low, I will try to do the research to find the best and safest way to get the amino acids back in line. One amino acid affects the other and then we are in for a boat load of trouble because when these are out of range they can cause a lot of problems (i.e. mood swings, anxiety, depression, muscle problems, coordination problems, etc). I will even go to the endocrinologist as my GP suggests and get the appropriate levels from him or her and post on here! By the way, these tests were sent to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester so I'm not sure if all facilities have the ability to check these results in house. I've been twitching and having flares on and off for 11½ years so I'm no newbie to this stuff. My dad also added a scenario. I'm a very high stress person. If amino acid levels can fall drastically in high periods of stress and anxiety, there may be a correlation between the amino acid levels and the flare ups!

PM me if you have any questions.

StacyH
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us - Emerson
StacyH
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS