any bfsers get this?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

any bfsers get this?

Postby eric on June 8th, 2003, 6:31 pm

besides muscle fassiculations that can be seen like lots of movement under skin. does anyone feel nervous feelings in there calfs or arms? and does anyone feel like they cant think as well as they used too but still can. also does anyone feel their muscles are week and getting smaller when everyone else does not think so. and does anyone get the feeling in the front of the throat that there is a lump or tenderness in front of the throat. I have always had anxiety and the doctors tell me that I am doing this to myself. what does everybody out there think when the doctors say its all in your head.and has anybody thought of lymes disease as a cause of bfs.
thanks eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby Jenn311 on June 8th, 2003, 7:33 pm

Hey Eric,
I know what you are talking about when you say your arms and calfs feel nervous....like the nerve is excited. I am not sure, but I think it is an exacerbation of anxiety. If I find that I am able to ignore it, it will go away. SOmetimes I find that I am obsessing about a certain part of my body because I get a new twitch or something...and I concentrate so much on that area that I feel every little movement or even blood pulsing...I think regularly people don't pay that kind of focused attention to their bodies, but if they do they'll find a lot of things they had never noticed.

But there is a condition called 'Restless Leg Syndrome', where the nerves do somehow get excited and cause you to feel that you need to constantly move them to get relief. I have had this experience as well...esp. when I am lying in bed at night, though I have never even talked to the doctor about it, so I don't know if I have that really or not. But I have read that other people on this site do have it. So who knows....maybe it is related!

I think BFS is a real, albeit poorly understood, condition. It is not totally in our heads...but anxiety makes it a lot worse. If you find somehow that you are able to get your mind off it you will be on the road to recovery. (Well, mentally at least, if not physically also.)

Hang in there! You are not alone!!!!! :D :D :D
~jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Postby jcavan4125 on June 9th, 2003, 4:12 pm

Hi,
Good post Jenn as usual. I also get the throat thing. I don't have a sensation of a lump in my throat but more of tightness in the muscles in the throat when I swallow. It may last ten minutes or all day. There is no difficulty with the swallowing mechanism but more like a "gulp" sort of feeling when I swallow, if that makes any sense.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby sarah on June 9th, 2003, 8:05 pm

The lump in the throat feeling is a classic anxiety symptom - over the years I've had it many time. Don't worry about it and it will go away.
sarah

Re: any bfsers get this?

Postby Rich Longer on June 13th, 2003, 3:51 am

eric wrote:besides muscle fassiculations that can be seen like lots of movement under skin. does anyone feel nervous feelings in there calfs or arms? and does anyone feel like they cant think as well as they used too but still can. also does anyone feel their muscles are week and getting smaller when everyone else does not think so. and does anyone get the feeling in the front of the throat that there is a lump or tenderness in front of the throat. I have always had anxiety and the doctors tell me that I am doing this to myself. what does everybody out there think when the doctors say its all in your head.and has anybody thought of lymes disease as a cause of bfs.
thanks eric

yes to much of this.

Not sure what you mean by nervous feelings but

The perceived weakness - ie feeling you are weak when you are not is terribly common - you will see loads of posts on this.Perceived weakness is feeling you are weak but not being - ie you can do anything you always could. real weakness means you can't do something. i had a nerve injury once and that is completely different. I actually felt fine but the muscles wouldn't move. Thankfully it fully recovered.

Watching muscles to see if there is atrophy is a fools game - you will find things that you didn't notice before, things that are assyemtrical. I strongly beleive that you cannot make a rational judgement about yourself - "the man who diagnoses himsefl has a fool for a doctor. " I let my neurologist do this assessment - all the things i thought so importanmt were dismissed as normal.

The lump in the throat is a classic anxiety symptom - it has a rather unfortunate name something like globus hystericus.

Lyme disease - definately. it is getting more common even here in the UK and my neurologist certainly tested me for it. it can give all sorts of weird symptoms.

I can't recall if you havehad a neurological assessment - if not you should - as everyone who has these symtoms should be checked out. Once you havehad a diagnosis of BFS then I think like the rest of us you have to trust your doctor - they after all do this every day. The most knowledgeable person on this site is only an amateur in this field. And if you don't trust your doc, find one you do have confidence in.

I can see you are having a bad time - hang in there and it will get better. Even if the symptoms don't go, you learn to live with it

Rich
Rich
Rich Longer

Re: any bfsers get this?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS