quality of neurologists

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

quality of neurologists

Postby uben on April 16th, 2003, 10:59 am

Hello everybody,

At first I must mention how glad I am to find this site. Like most of you I walked through the same fear like the most of you. My story in a short form:
December 2002 I noticed that my forefinger started to twitch for two or three seconds, a couple of times every day. In January I visited my GP because I was meanwhile worried - the twitches were at my whole body
( the twitches were visible under my skin, last always only two or three seconds and were at random). The GP prescribed me magnesium - but after 3 weeks I went back because it didn`t help. At this time I started
to browse through the internet to find informations about the cause of twitches - and it happened what most of you experienced - the ALS informations drove me crazy. I went to a neurologist and told her about my problems and my fear - her answer was "I am 60 years old and have only seen 3 patients with ALS" - then she made a rush neuro exam ( 30 seconds) and that was it already. After this bad experience I visited a second neurologist - the nearly the same story. The difference was only that he made a full neuro exam - but without an EMG. Meanwhile I knew how important an EMG is, but he rejected it (it is not necessary). Then I went finally to a hospital and they did beside the neuro exam also the EMG - it was clean. But all three neurologists didn`t know what it can be.
Nobody of them mentioned BFS. So I am so glad to find this informations here - they helped me more than the doctors. Meanwhile I am not longer so much worried. I have the twitches now 4 months - but they become less. I test my strength with workouts every second day to have more peace.
Apologize my English, it is not my native language.
Good luck for you all!!

uben
uben

Postby Jenn311 on April 16th, 2003, 12:51 pm

Hey Uben...

We all know how you feel...welcome to the forum. Your English is GREAT! no worries :wink:
That is not unusual that you pushed for an EMG...I'm glad it has given you peace of mind. I have never even been to the neuro. I think after so many years though they might laugh if I go now...
Keep us posted!
~Jen
Jenn311
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS