New Member...very nervous!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

New Member...very nervous!

Postby Renae on April 2nd, 2003, 2:12 pm

Hi there-

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and finally decided to introudce myself. I have found this site to be very helpful and it has often calmed me down quite a bit. I'm 28 years old and female. I've bad a strange run of events that started in July of 2002. I had a pretty bad cold and cough that just didn't want to go away. The couch was lingering and lingering. Then, I woke up one morning with the room spinning like crazy and started vomiting. After a visit to the ER, I later found out this was an episode of Vertigo. The Dr. said not to worry, that it would go away in a few days. It was probably from my cold...just affecting the inner ear. That made sense to me, but after a few weeks I was still not feeling like "myself". I was better but still feeling dizzy periodically and then started noticing pins and needles in my arms and legs and eventually twitching. I began to panic and called my PCP. She said it was probably just anxiety, but made a referral for a Neuro. I also went to an Ear, Nose & Throat Doctor to cover that area as well. He saw no problems. I ended up having an MRI, which was fine. And later I had an EMG, which was also completely normal. The neuro sent me along my way and said he didn't see any reason to be worried, but to come back in a few months for a check-up. The dizziness and pins & needles eventually started to go away and occasional weak feelings in my legs seemed to get much better. But, the twitching was driving me MAD. It was completely consuming my thoughts and of course I went to the internet and saw the correlation between twitching and ALS and just totally freaked out! I have problems with anxiety and depression anyway and all of this made things magnified. So, I was convinced I either had ALS of MS...I didn't really know which one but I was certain I had some horrible disease. Between reading things on this site and my PCP eventually telling me "I'd bet my life that you don't have ALS"...I have pretty much gotten that out of my head although I do still have my moments. Now I just get this general yucky feeling where I just never feel "good"...I get achy, crampy muscles, IBS, vibrating or buzzing in my legs, kind of a rolling numbess that will be a few minutes here or there, and now I have this knot or bulging muscle on my calf that my PCP thinks is just a muscle spasm. She has referred me to a Rheumatologist, as she suspects I may have Fibromyalgia. I guess I don't know what to think anymore. I just never feel good...always tired and achy and twitchy and now this knot thing has me totally freaked out. I know people with fibro tend to me "lumpy and bumpy", but I don't really know what that means?? I feel like this has consumed my life and I just can't stop worrying! I think everybody around me thinks I'm nuts and sometimes I think that, too! I guess I'm just venting and I know many of you have experienced somewhat similar things. It has definitely been comforting to read many of your posts and hear that this stuff can just be "benign". Thanks for listening!

Renae :cry:
Renae

Postby Nova on April 25th, 2003, 1:05 am

Hi again Renae,
Just posting to thank you again for replying to me (Nova). I found your post here and saw that no one had replied, and just wanted to tell you that I'm really sorry you've been dealing with this. It must have been very frightening to go through all that. But, as I said in my response to your message to me (see the other postings), the twitching and weirdness is really from an overactive nervous system. It's like we have the voltage meter on high, and if there were only a way to turn it down, we'd be normal, a few twitches here and there, a buzz or two, like most folks. Aren't we lucky! It's good that we've found this site, cause ALS was also on my mind before reading some of the posts here. Since anxiety tends to play a role in all these symptoms, we've got to learn to take it all in stride. My understanding is that a virus can possibly trigger BFS, or make it worse, so that may explain why it presented when it did for you. I saw a neuro a year ago who practically told me I had MS, then did an MRI, saw that it was clean and sent me on my way with no answers. Be sure to keep trying out docs, if you can, until you get one who is willing to work with you, diagnose your symptoms, and get you any meds or advice that could be helpful. I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, you've found some more good info since you posted this message. I hope your symptoms are getting better. And, no, you're not nuts - well, no more than all us crazy folk : ) Keep up the research (unless it stresses you - I know finding this site sent my stress level way down) and know we are here if you ever need to vent. Take it easy!
Nova
Nova

thanks

Postby Renae on April 30th, 2003, 1:56 pm

hi there-

thanks for your reply. and thanks for the reassurance. i've definitely needed it lately! people on this site have been so nice...i'm very glad i've found it!

hope all is well...
renae :)
Renae

thanks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS