POLL: ANY POSITIVE LABWORK?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

POLL: ANY POSITIVE LABWORK?

Postby ryanbabs on November 2nd, 2005, 9:33 pm

I am curious what positive tests (if any) others have had for blood, urine, spinal, etc.

I have had a positive ANA, speckled, at 1:80 (last year and this year)

Positive western blot (Igenex) but two negative EIA for Lymes...doc still investigating

Eosinophils is high (EOS) last year and this year

All else is normal...my TSH (thyroid) is almost high now though (right on verge). Last year was more in the middle.
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Postby JodiD on November 2nd, 2005, 11:19 pm

1) consistently high gamma globulins
2) slightly low lymphocytes
3) ANA considered negative, but it did register at 1:40, mixed homogeneous and speckled
4) very low iron as of May (okay now)
5) high ESR in May (okay now)
6) high folate (that's not supposed to be bad, but it's weird since I don't take supplements)
7) low CK (also weird?)
JodiD
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby puggriffey on November 11th, 2005, 11:15 pm

High Free T4 and high T3 uptake..."normal" TSH, but at the low end.

Consistently high (albeit not VERY high) BUN

PS: Ryanbabs - when you say almost high for thyroid, what is your TSH value? Do you realize that there is a pretty strong debate about what the upper end of that range really should be? Recently, most labs have changed the guidlines to .3 - 3.0 -- it used to be .5 -- 5.0 in almost all labs. Most natural endocrinologists even contend that 2.0 or higher can cause marked hypothyroid symptoms, if not the condition itself...I have read of a VAST number of patients with "normal" TSH, who ultimately were greatly helped by Levoxyl or Armour thyroid...you may want to check it out.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby ryanbabs on November 14th, 2005, 2:01 pm

My TSH was 5.13 and "high" is considered 5.30 I believe or something like that.
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on November 14th, 2005, 8:00 pm

Not anymore - have it checked again and evaluated by a qualified endocrinologist - preferably one with good credentials in treating hypothyroidism. This is a TSH level that now technically puts you in hypothyroidism range in most labs. This is a recent change, and not all docs/labs have caught on.

MANY out there have reported a SIGNIFICANT improvement in overall health/symptoms after starting medication to treat hypothyroidism, even though their TSH was in the "normal" range. Some circles believe many adults feel poorly with TSH of 2.5 and up, and you definitely qualify.

Check it out, and make sure they test your T3/Free T4 as well - not just the TSH. You may be happy you did.

I hope you feel well soon.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby lynxminx on November 14th, 2005, 8:53 pm

I have slight anemia, but that's always been the case. The only peculiarities in the half-dozen blood tests I've had are two instances of elevated white blood cell counts with increased cell size differentials...probably stress leukocytosis. The other four-odd times I tested in the normal range.

ANA negative (twice), Western Blot negative, thyroid negative.
lynxminx
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ryanbabs on November 15th, 2005, 10:24 am

ryanbabs wrote:My TSH was 5.13 and "high" is considered 5.30 I believe or something like that.

Correction...5.31 out of 5.5 being "high", though I've read otherwise (including WebMD).
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on November 15th, 2005, 11:31 am

I am NOT a spreader of old wives tales, and do not enjoy those like a certain unnamed source on here that will swear you have this or that (like lyme) EVERY time they write. For the most part, I think we are best served by just listening to our physicians.

That said, I strongly urge you to google hypothyroidism, and pay attention to a site like thyroid-info.org. I recommend this only because my mother was caught in the same "unfortunate" pattern of events you sound to be -- a high "normal" TSH that was the end of story for more thyroid examination for YEARS. She really suffered to find out what was up with her too - just didn't feel well, lethargic, weight issues, aches and pains, mild depression, muscle problems, etc. Her TSH always hovered between 4.3 and 5, so always normal.

By the grace of GOD she had a TSH performed at Mayo (they live close by) during her annual physical. Mayo has recently adopted, like most labs now, the new .3 - 3.0 guidelines, and of course, she tested HIGH at 4.7 or 4.8 - something like that. They started her on synthroid (I believe), and that had a mild effect for the better, but would wax and wane. Now she is on Armour thyroid - one pill, once a day (no sweat) - and she is in remarkable spirits/health. Guess what - she, like MANY others, REALLY needs to be somewhere around 1.2 to 1.4 to feel "normal". In fact, her endo at Mayo says 1.0 is usually "the spot".

You are at 5.3. That should spell out something bearing at least a second check, no? Take that cousel for whatever it's worth - I know for my mother (and all of us), that development was a life changer.

Best wishes.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby ryanbabs on November 15th, 2005, 1:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the info. puggriffey. I am definitely gonna get this checked out.
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Me too

Postby Davey on November 15th, 2005, 2:55 pm

Hypothyroid.

My first TSH test was at 10.3. Now I'm on 100 mcg Synthroid pd to get me in the normal range.

Hypothyroidism is often of autoimmune origin and is fairly uncommon in men (more often occurs in women). My mother is hypothyroid as well, and my grandmother was hyperthyroid, so thyroid problems run in my family. My neurologist suspected that my low thyroid was causing my neurological symptoms, and there is a paper by Monzani et al. (1999) that talks about neuromuscular dysfunction seen in hypothyroid patients. They say that treating the hypothyroidism helps neurological symptoms.

I can say that thyroid replacement has helped me feel better, but has not alleviated my BFS, so there is more at work here. The Hart et al. 2002 paper suggests that voltage-gated potassium channel antibodies are the culprit.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby puggriffey on November 15th, 2005, 3:02 pm

Agreed - I don't/didn't want to imply at all that this is a miracle cure for the BFS, but so many suffer from the true hypothyroid symptom cycle, and feel much better after treatment, so if nothing else ryanbabs may be in for a better overall feeling of health after treatment, if not rid of BFS.

I think they are two different things altogether, and are likely not linked in this case, but at 5.3 TSH (hey ryanbabs, don't forget to have them do the other tests too - free T4/T3 (uptake), thyroid antibodies, etc.) it is likely that treatment will make any "other stuff" subside greatly.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Agree

Postby Davey on November 15th, 2005, 4:01 pm

Yes, thyroid replacement will likely help. The Hart et al (2002) study focused on VGKC antibodies. I'm no doctor, but my understanding is that when a person has autoimmune problems, they aren't just limited to one antibody. The immune system is pretty complex, and a complex syndrome of immune dysfunction, in my humble opinion, produces the wide range of symptoms we see in this forum.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby ryanbabs on November 15th, 2005, 7:52 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have some sort of autoimmune disease. I was hoping that perhaps hypothyroidism could be the culprit...may be, who knows I guess....everyone is different.

Also, my T3 and T4 are normal, but after reading the Mayo and other websites, this is typically the case in early stages of hypothyroidism...but what is an early stage? I've had this stuff over 2 years...
ryanbabs
Hero
Hero

Postby missyJ on November 16th, 2005, 7:50 am

My blood test results revealed macrocytosis (enlarged red blood cells) commonly due to either too much alcohol (moi??) vegetarianism, b12 deficiency or folate deficiency.
Have just gone for more blood tests to reveal if i am deficient in either.

Guess i would be fairly relieved if deficient in one of these vitamins as it might be the reason behind twitching.

Never thought i would be hoping for a negative blood test :wink:

Cheers, Julia
missyJ
Hero
Hero

Postby Floater on November 16th, 2005, 5:34 pm

Alt liver enzyme in 2003 was 235
Ast liver enzyme in 2003 was 97
GGT in 2003 elevated
Ana in 2003 1:80
ASMA 2003 negative
Sodium 2003 slightly low