new member-just begining to twitch

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

new member-just begining to twitch

Postby fastpage on March 10th, 2003, 3:46 pm

I just found this board today and wanted to say hello and join the discussion. I am new to this problem. I would imagine everyone has heard the littany of symtoms etc a thousand times, so I will try to keep it short. For many months (I don't really know how long, the onset was so subtle) I have been getting random twitches all over my body. Only a few a day, maybe in a hamstring, bicep, tricep, forearm etc. Never thought anything of it, just figured it was normal for my age (53). I vaguely noticed some odd sensations in my calves and shins which finally got to the point I started looking about 2 weeks ago and found that they had nearly constant fasiculations which were barely felt but quite visible. Now I have constant twitching in the calves shins, with randon twitches in other places mentioned. Of course the twitching has worsened since I noticed it and began to worry about it. My GP says not to worry. If I have no weakness, slurring of speach, swallowing problems etc., just twitching, it is almost certainly benign, especially since the twitches occur in calves and shins when my legs are completely relaxed. I have not consulted a nuerologist yet although he thinks I should, just to ease my mind. Haven't decided if that is a good idea or whether I would rather just not know any more for sure at the moment. I am on COBRA now and if twitching gets into my medical records, I am never going to get my insurance replaced. Anyway I will be watching and monitoring this board. Thanks to all of you. Just reading your posts today has helped me immensely. Amazing how much I have learned about fasiculations in two weeks, for something I had never even heard of before then.
fastpage

Postby Davidd on March 10th, 2003, 9:18 pm

Fastpage--

I don't mean to pry but why would you have difficulty getting insurance replaced if you had "twitching" on your records? I haven't gotten health insurance on my own before (only through work) but it seems strange that a harmless condition like twitching would cause an insurance carrier to turn down coverage? I am, of course, very ignorant when it comes to this stuff so please forgive me in this regard!

--David
Davidd
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

insurance

Postby fastpage on March 11th, 2003, 12:01 pm

As a retired (I should say recovering-hated every minute of it) attorney, I can tell you that if you are 53 years old, a little overweight, and have constant fasiculations, no medical insurance company is going to touch you, even if your Dr. claims twitches are benign. There is always a strong possiblility statisitcally for those companies that you will develope something very expensive. They simply don't want the risk. It is difficult to get most companies to write new policies for middle-aged persons anyway unless you are willing to accept poor coverage at a very high cost. Like most insurance, I guess, if they think you might actually need it, they really don't want you. In my case my coverage was through my wife's company as I was self-employed so when she was disabled we had to go on COBRA which will end in a few months. If this is nothing, then why mess up my chances of getting a half-way decent policy. If it is ALS, then I am up the creek anyway. Just think I might be better off keeping this to myself for the time being (which is OK with my GP). This doesn't even broach the subject of trying to renew my term life insurance soon.
fastpage

Similar situation

Postby jhawley on March 20th, 2003, 3:45 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I had a similar situation. About five months ago, I noticed my calves twitching. Then, I noticed it in my feet as well. They have been twitiching 24/7 over since, with an occational twitch here and there throughout my body. I wasn't too concerned, but my doctor sent me to a neurologist just to be on the safe side. The neurologist looked me over, tested my reflexes, etc., and said that, due to my lack of any other ALS like symptoms (weakness, clonus, hyperreflexivity, speach problems, stumbling, etc.) that I very likely had BFS. Because of the lack of other symptoms, he said there was no reason to go through the pain of having an EMG done. Since seeing him, almost everything I have read indicates that fasciculations are very, very rarely the first sign of a more serious condition. Usually, if it is something serious, it is accompanied by weakness. I hope they are right! Anyway, I am taking your attitude and not worrying. Good luck.
jhawley

Similar situation

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS