My orthopedic doctor has BFS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

My orthopedic doctor has BFS

Postby Ava on March 22nd, 2005, 11:36 am

Hi fellow BFS'rs,

I just went to my orthopedic doctor who is a great doc. at Stanford. I was experiencing hip pain (it's a pulled muscle), but in the course of the medical interview I told him about my BFS. He kind of laughed at the idea that this was now a "syndrome" because of how common this is. He said he gets fasciculations all the time and has since he was in high school (he is now around late 50's). When he was young, he thought everyone got fasciculations but in med school he freaked out about anterior horn cells, ALS and the like.

Anyway, he is one of 3 people I have met with BFS in addition to myself so indeed this is fairly common.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on March 22nd, 2005, 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing that.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby jcavan4125 on March 22nd, 2005, 7:20 pm

A minor point, but benign fasciculations and BFS are not exactly the same thing. A syndrome, by definition, has a group of symptoms attached to it. That's why BFS was designated as its own entity. because of the other symptoms that accompany it (fatigue, stiffness, pain etc...); whereas benign fasciculations is simply that. Now it may be that benign fascicualtions may be a very mild form of BFS with no other presenting features, but then it wouldn't be a syndrome would it.
It may seem like I'm splitting hairs, but the reason I bring it up is because people often wonder why some physicians have never heard of BFS, while nearly all are familar with benign fascicualtions. It is because BFS is fairly new as its own entity. It wasn't until enough people complained of this constellation of symptoms that the medical community realized there was something going on that was distinct from simple benign fasciculations. Hence the term BFS was born.
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ava on March 23rd, 2005, 9:16 pm

This man, I think, has benign fasciculation syndrome - he gets rippling fasciculations arms and legs that are ongoing and frequently more pronounced after excercise. He was clear that what he had is significantly different then simple benign fasciculations that present occasionally. His condition is ongoing and has been for something like 40 years.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Ginlyn on April 17th, 2005, 1:58 am

Ava,

Thanks for posting that story.

As much as I wouldn't wish muscle twitching on my worst enemy, for some reason, it is a little comforting to know that a doctor has experienced them for this long of a time frame, is still around, and doesn't worry about them.

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS