Neuro appointment

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Neuro appointment

Postby Eve on February 25th, 2005, 9:49 am

I am so happy that my exam with the neuro was okay. He did not want to give me an EMG because he thinks I am fine. He thinks the symptoms I have are caused by emotional problems. I am not sure if I agree on that (totally) but the fact that the exam was okay is for me a sign I have to stop thinking about ***.
About the tongue twitching he told me that is as normal as a twitch in your leg. He asked me to let him see my tongue and had to move it and he was satisfied with it. About my speech, he also thinks it is because of stress.
So hopefully for me no more neuros. He told me to come back in half a year and sooner if I experience real weakness. But he doubt it. The only thing I want to try is the alternative circuit like Reiki or osteopathy.
Eve
Eve

Postby DeeDee on February 25th, 2005, 10:31 am

Hi Eve,

I spent several months seeing a neurologist who told me that I was depressed and anxious. I finally decided to obtain a seocnd opinion with another neurologist. He stated that anxiety worsens BFS. BFS is not anxiety.

However, I do know that there are some common twitches that occur with/without anxiety and that includes the eye, thumb, and calf.

I am sure your neurologist is qualified, but this syndrome is not in your head.
DeeDee
DeeDee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby DeeDee on February 25th, 2005, 10:39 am

Forgot to add somethng. I have been noticing that when I think about my speech/articulation problem it becomes worse and when I am distracted it doesn't seem to bother me as much or at all. So it is difficult to tell what the problem is. I am sure it is somehow related to anxiety and my jaw misalignment.
DeeDee
DeeDee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby speg on February 25th, 2005, 11:56 pm

My neuro also told me anxiety does not cause BFS. But I disagree. I think my twitches are 100% anxiety related. I have a long history of health anxiety, GAD, and obsessive personality disorder. My twitches began after a stressful period and reading an article about ALS. (And maybe an SSRI triggered it as well!)

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Eve on February 26th, 2005, 5:13 am

I do not mind if you call the symptoms I experience BFS or stress or whatever. I only wanted to hear that it is not something horrible. I have a lot of stress and I do not mind if the symptoms are causes by stress. The only thing I do know is that I have to work about the emotional problems. There is nothing more I can do. Of course I am concerned about my speech ( I have that problem always, not only when I think about it), but I have to start believing the neuro, otherwise what kind of life do I have not believing him? I have seen in total three neuro's and they all think there is nothing wrong with me. I have to sart believing them.
Eve
Eve

Postby DeeDee on February 26th, 2005, 9:18 pm

Hi Eve,

I apologize for making you feel like you shouldn't trust your neuro. I absoulutely believe that you should. They are trained to diagnose and treat these disorders. I just wanted emphasize that this is not something that is made-up or imagined. My first neuro led me to believe that I was depressed and just didn't know it. I think we can all recognize when we feel differently or atleast I know myself and how I feel. I knew I simply didn't feel well and haven't since the onset of this syndrome.

And your right, what kind of life would we have if we didn't start believing that we would be okay? Have a great evening.

Take care.
DeeDee
DeeDee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Eve on February 27th, 2005, 10:45 am

You do not have to apologize. In the first months I would have said the same things as you did, but I can not do that anymore, I have to protect myself. There are still moments I feel bad, especially regarding my speech and my jaws feel so tensed. But why thinking that has to do anything with ***. I have to stop with that. I still have a long way to go. But the beginning is there.
Eve
Eve

Postby joeyata1 on February 27th, 2005, 11:04 am

i truely belive almost every person on here on there first dr appointment got a response like:there's nothing wrong with you but you need some mental help". i got it full blast my first time with the internist even going as far as leaving the room and calling for an appt for me that day 2 days before christmas in 2003 he was so concerned. and the reason why we get thsi reaction is becasue we've convinced ourselves so much we have a dreaded disease we tell the doc that or look nervous in fron of them and they automatically think we're quacks. truth be told msot of the gp's i went to i knew more than they ever dreamed of. they barely knew what ms was. when i got this kind of incompetence it scared me even more. hell the fist neuro didn't even know about twitches in ms yet i had read it 100 times. anyway we have ever right to doubt and question our doc'S. REMEMEMBER WE'RE JSUT A NUMBER TO THIS DOC'S AND THEY SEE SO MANY PATIENTS THEY WILL JUST COME IN AND OUT UNLESS YOU BULLDOG THEM
joeyata1

Postby Eve on February 27th, 2005, 1:54 pm

Joeyatal,
You should have a little more trust in the doctors. Sure, you can doubt about what they say, but if three neuro's will all tell you the same the chance they are all wrong is not so real I think.
Eve

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS