Power of the mind

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Power of the mind

Postby DeeDee on February 24th, 2005, 12:37 pm

An interesting thing happened to my husband a few days ago....

I believe everyone twitches at one time or another. Prior to my BFS days, I remember an occasional twitch here and there and occasionally my husband would twitch also. Since I have been talking about BFS to my husband, he has experienced numerous twitches. (Not nearly what we go through, but he has had twitching episodes 1-2 X a month)

My husband is very laid back and definately not an anxious person, but I thought it was very strange that he started to have these episodes. I am not suggesting that this is contagious or anxiety provoked, I am simply stating that if you think about something enough that you will eventually notice some bodily sensation. (He has had abdominal, facial, scapular and back twitches at one time or another and he is completely healthy and normal.)

In prior posts I have read that once a person thinks they have *** or reads about it, their twitching seems to explode through out their body. Initially, I experienced body jolts (myoclonus) and bubble-popping sensations. It was after the *** scare that they turned in to full blown body wide fasics and they haven't ceased since.

Maybe its just a coincidence, but I think that the more you focus on this syndrome, the worse it is. I don't believe that BFS is a physical manifestation of anxiety, but I think anxiety plays on our minds.

I hope one day we all can talk to each other on the off-topic forum and shoot the breeze about how much better we feel.

Until then, I'll see you guys here. Have a great day.
DeeDee
DeeDee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Ava on February 24th, 2005, 10:09 pm

Great post. I am a believer that I had wide-spread twitching going on for quite some time before I noticed it - like maybe for years. I had daily large twitches and after starting an intense exercise program they became more noticable. It was not until I googled "muscle twitch" that I noticed the twitching from head to toe --- hmmm.

May I add that my husband and 2 close friends now give me updates on their twitching? As my neuro confirmed, this "condition" is far more common then we'd like to believe.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby DeeDee on February 24th, 2005, 11:11 pm

As soon as I finished writing that post, my left leg has been twitching non-stop. Go figure.

Thanks for responding.
DeeDee
DeeDee
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Johnny on February 25th, 2005, 11:48 am

DeeDee,

Thanks for posting that. I agree with so much of what you and Ava said. My wife - who never talked about muscle twitching before this ALS scare started for me almost 15 months ago - now frequently tells me about areas on her body that twitch. I can ask her on any given night if she twitched that day and she always says "yes, I twitched here or there today". She's also very laid back and not nearly as anxiety-ridden as I am and so thoughts of ALS have not crossed her mind. But she has become acutely aware of my ALS fears and how they started with twitching. Maybe she always twitched, maybe not. But I know for sure she twitches now. And I think her "awareness" of twitching has increased the twitching in her case.

I also agree with the notion of increased twitching after making the ALS connection because that's exactly what happened to me. My left forearm was twitching for a few days when I decided to do an internet search. I don't think it's a coincidence at all that I noticed more widespread twitching right after I spent a day or so reading about ALS. And that's what drove me to my GP's office and started me down the road I'm on now.

I don't know if it's a physical or mental thing or both. But I really do think there's something to what you've brought up.

Johnny
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS