back from GP - relief

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

back from GP - relief

Postby fabfab on January 20th, 2005, 8:39 am

Just got back from my GP.
I told him everything : the twitching, "als" on google, the perceived weakness, etc.
He said "you should have come sooner". He said "I'me here to talk, you know ? I won't laugh at you".
He checked my reflexes, which were ok.
He said, ok, sit down.
He said, twitching is due to hyper excitability of the nerves. It can be caused by too much cafeine, too much tea, wine, anxiety, and not enough sleep. He said do you think you sleep well ? I said mm. He said, ok. I will prescribe you some magnesium, it can't hurt, but maybe you should talk to a shrink, see someone you can talk too. It will lighten your burden.
He said, listen, I don't know sla very, very well, but I saw people who had it, and I know exactly what it looks like. You don't have it. No way. I could send you to a neuro, but I would make a fool out of myself and this would be a complete waste of time. Your twitching are nothing to worry about. They are just a sign that your body sends you. You should see more people (I'm a writer, stayning by myself most of the time). Enjoy your life.
I talked about this place. He said, well, if that helps, that's ok. But don't go there too often. You know, anxious people are prone to discover new symptoms as soon as they hear something new. Oh, your leg is buzzing ? So is mine. Does that mean we're all gonna die ? Yes, but not now. And not from als.
I said ok, and I left.
Now I feel a urge to go on with my life. Well, maybe I will see someone. Maybe I will do something about it.
I don't say bfs is "only" an anxiety problem. It is for me, at 95%. It's not that serious, but it's boring and it eats me, little by little. So I've got to move on.
This GP was great.
Fabrice
fabfab
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Pasics Pete on January 20th, 2005, 9:11 am

Congratulations, and the best of luck in your future endevors!
Blessings,
-Pete
Pasics Pete
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Great!

Postby kristinz on January 20th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Fabrice-

Congratulations :) ! I'm so happy you ahad a good visit with your GP.

After meeting with my neurologist yesterday- I was reassured that - yes, they know what there doing. He also told me you can see *** when it walks in the door. I mentioned the connection to anxiety and he felt that BFS and BFCS is much more than anxiety. He feels it's definately a physiological response... to what... that's the unknown. Now, obviously anxiety makes the twitching worse... but hey, anxiety make everyhting worse.

Take care! :) Again, I'm happy to hear your news and elevated comfort level.

Kristin
It could be worse! :)
kristinz

Postby fabfab on January 20th, 2005, 12:41 pm

Kristinz and Pete,

Thanks to both of you. I hope you're doing ok too and that soon we'll be able to live without checking this forum everyday. Or if we do, just to bring help to others...

Take care.
fabfab
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS