few people ever obssessed like me

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

few people ever obssessed like me

Postby joeyata1 on January 18th, 2005, 12:58 am

i've been doing a neuro test were you touch your thumb to all your fingers for 10 months. i do it 100 times a day. my kids are doing it now. like many on here i've prayed for the days to go fast so i could say its been 1 year and i haven't fallen. all the doc's told me i was crazy and needed mental help. the first doc i came to examined me left the room came back in and begged me to see a mental doc that day. i came ina nd told him i thought i had ms or als like many on here after reading the net and putting twitch in. the mind is amazing the more symptoms i read on line the more i got. numbness and twitches everywere. after i saw my first twitch and read it could be als my mind wnet wild and all i could think of is my whole body will be one huge twitch. and over time as more muscle twitched i was going udner mentally. i din't want to get up in the am i was so depressed. i'd hop up the steps with one leg, pick up my wife 10 times alwsy trying to make sure i wasn't losing strength. anyway 16 months now and i've accepted i'll alwsy twitch some
joeyata1

Postby TMcMahon on January 18th, 2005, 12:48 pm

Been there. Saw a Therapist referred by my neurologist. Excercise every day. Tap my fingers, Walk on my heels/toe, run 5 miles, do 50 pushups, 75 leg lifts for each leg and have had twitching in calves and all over since Sept 03, and in hand and eye lid since 01. More I read the worse it got. Dad had ALS so am probably more psycho than most here. FYI, my 4 year old son is now doing what he thinks are "pushups" because he is copying his dad to try to become strong.

My "psychoness" comes and goes and if I truthfully look back it has waned over time, but there are flare ups when something new strikes like a weird buzzing or some cramps in feet/legs.

So hang in there. At my worst I was in a fetal position on the floor of my bedroom waiting for the neuro to call and tell me that my repeat CPK confirmed my worst fears, but instead he said it was normal, asked why I was home on a work day, and said "Dude, dont slip into a nervous breakdown your fine, destress yourself". I laughed.
TMcMahon

Postby joeyata1 on January 18th, 2005, 1:19 pm

man the fear of als is incredible and since you've seen the devastation first hand its real to you but from what i've read als has a very very small herridiatary factor. its funn y as hell how one twitch can take us to outr knees. a twitch to me has been more devastating than pain in my stomach. i thin k its tyhe idea of being in wheelchair and death that scare sus all. if i go i want to go fast no suffering. truth is youy ahve a better chance of getitng hit by car than getting als its so rare. think of it this way. 30k people with als is like 1//2 a small football stadium compared to this whole huge nation
joeyata1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS