bfs almost destroyed me 16 months later

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

bfs almost destroyed me 16 months later

Postby joeyata1 on January 17th, 2005, 8:45 pm

i never had a twitch in my life and stopped smoking sept 2003. 1 month later i happened to be looking at my calves and saw one having slight twitch. so i looked at the other one same thing. i jsut felt it i just happened to be looking. i said weired. then i noticed the insteps of my feet same thing small twitches. got on the net the rest is hsitory. als ms etc we all know what happens then. i went nuts. within days my legs hurting every syptom i read i got. i started thinking every muscle in my body would twitch and my muscles would get atrophy. i was gonje my mond was gone. i couldn';t work iw as so scared. iw ent to the doc 1 month later started crying i had ms or als. he examined me and said no it was from stopping smoking it created the twitches and would go away. as the months went on it din;t go away and seemd to get worse. went to another doct same answer nothing wrong. finally went to a neuro he did a full exam and emg nothing. all the docs streesed 100 times twitching with no muscle weakness or muscle loss is benign. well 16 months later twiches still there but i try not to think of. i also gewt some tingling in the hands and feet. my life has never been the same since i quit smoking
joeyata1

Postby Stephanie on January 18th, 2005, 10:49 pm

quiting smoking was the best thing you could have done for yourself. You will live a longer and healthier life. Tingling, pain or other sensory symptoms does not happen w/the bad disease. After 16 months and you're still walking- there is NO WAY you have als. Hang in there!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Stress

Postby FargoND on February 1st, 2005, 4:21 pm

Easy one. One of the things that can cause BFS is stress. I nearly lost my job and it threw me into a head spind where I thought I was having a nrevous break down..the next day started twitching.

Smoking is such a stress reliver that you might have had BFS but you releived it by smoking.
FargoND

Stress

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS