ALS Related ?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Postby dave y on January 15th, 2005, 7:22 pm

Tmac,

Hey fear is natural and OK. Remember though--what does fear do? Turns on the adrenals. Can you say nerve hyperexcitability? I bet you've already got enough of that going on.

I can't totally shake mine either. But today would be the best of all days to nip this problem in the bud and not let it take root and turn into a multi-year mental disposition like it has for me. Your dad's having had it of course doesn't help one bit.

Good luck. Consider seeing a shrink, I would if I had the cash.
dave y
Hero
Hero

Postby TMcMahon on January 15th, 2005, 8:00 pm

On the issue of a shrink (who was referred by my neurologist) as I told Davey in a private message yesterday -I was seeing a "stress counselor" of some notoriety(ie TV/radio) and after several visits he told me to look at my twitches every day, give them a name, and talk to them. So I named them "Fred" and when I talked to them they didnt seem to pay any attention to me so I said f... this, and now laugh about "Fred" and my very expensive counselor. I think I will stick to a glass of wine, vitamins, Gatorade, and just dealing with it.

Tim
TMcMahon

Postby dave y on January 16th, 2005, 5:34 pm

uh... well maybe that isn't such a great idea then.
dave y
Hero
Hero

Postby LeeNC on January 16th, 2005, 6:47 pm

Hey, Dave:

I went on an SSRI antidepressant (for its anti-anxiety effect) after I began twitching, and I also began seeing a psychologist. These did not help, at all. It was nice having someone to talk to about my problems, but to my mind it was a luxury I couldn't afford (in terms of cash or time).

I do pretend that my twitches are "talking" to each other. When I feel a repetitive twitch in a shoulder, I smile when I feel one "answering" from my butt...or whatever. But then, I try to find amusement in just about anything.

I'll go with Mr. McM's recommendation. Wine has helped me feel better, if only for a few hours at a time. I'm going to keep it up.

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Previous

Return to Experiences with BFS