faith topic

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

faith topic

Postby twitchygal on December 30th, 2004, 2:42 pm

As a follow-up to the recent posts about faith and bfs I would like to state my position that my faith in Christ is what enables me to bear anything that might happen. I truly don't know how those of you without faith cope with bfs or anything troublesome in your life for that matter. As for the question has anyone been cured of bfs by prayer I would like to state that yes, I have. Look back to last summer when I was a frequent visitor to this site and I mentioned how I prayed and laid this concern to God in prayer. The next morning my twitching was gone. I have only had sporadic twitches since then. I believe that my bfs was mainly from anxiety as I had recently lost an aunt to ALS. But you know what? Even if my twitches had continued with a vengeance that doesn't mean that God didn't hear my prayer. He answers in 3 ways, yes, no, or wait. He would be glorifed in my life either way. He is sovereign and in control. My ultimate destiny is to spend eternity with Him so any disease or affliction in this life is only temporary anyway. I didn't mean to be preachy and hope I didn't offend anyone but this topic is of special interest to me. The other day was the first time I had visited the site since September, thus the delayed response. As John V did, in the interest of full disclosure I will tell you that I am a born again Christian, and a member of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA). Thanks for reading.
twitchygal
Interested
Interested

Faith?

Postby Davey on January 3rd, 2005, 2:27 pm

twitchygal -

Faith can mean different things to different people. One definition of the word is "trust, confident belief." Do I have faith? Yes, but not in a religious sense. My faith is in reason and critical thinking. I trust that these things can solve problems, find cures, and make our lives better. I have faith in humanity, without the assistance of a deity.

You said:

I truly don't know how those of you without faith cope with bfs or anything troublesome in your life for that matter.

As you may know, I am an atheist. I cope with troublesome things by accepting the situation and going from there. I find BFS annoying, but at the same time it is evidence that I am alive. I don't enjoy it, and take an active role in trying to 'cure' it, but I accept it. I also try to help others by posting on this website. I don't ask a deity to help, because I believe it is wasted energy.

Although I may be saddened by the death of a friend or relative, I recognize that it is part of the circle of life -- We are born, we live, we die. Death is frightening for us as human beings because we have self-awareness and realize the finality of it. The squirrel or fish doesn't concern himself with death. I doubt that any of my 3 cats think much about it either. Death is inevitable for all creatures. I don't need the belief in an "afterlife" to accept this fact.

As a scientist, I make my observations and use them as a basis for my beliefs. I don't rely on imaginary things to get me through difficult times. I don't put my faith in the ancient writings of delusional people that are ascribed to a deity who is supposedly omnipotent and omniescent, yet these writings are full of mistakes, contradictions and factual errors. I don't put my faith in legends and fairy tales. I could go on and explain the reasons for nonbelief in greater detail, but I don't want to sound preachy either.

Correct me if I am wrong, but faith in the context that you use is a belief in a deity or the teachings of a religious sect. I don't have faith in an established religion, nor do I believe in a deity, but I do have faith in other things: humanity, our self-awareness and our capability for rational and critical thinking. So in a sense, I do have faith but not in the context that you use. For me, spirituality is my self-awareness and my interconnectedness with nature and others. For this, I need no deity.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Faith?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS