Hand Twitch Scaring Me

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hand Twitch Scaring Me

Postby lots of girls here on November 29th, 2004, 8:34 am

I've had a wierd hand twitch for about 5 days and it's really bothering me. I've twitched body wide intermittently for almost 6 months. They were mostly thumpers that lasted a few seconds. Maybe 10 times a day at most. Now I have a strange twitch in my left hand that is causing my thumb to move each second. It moves inward toward the pointer as if I'm moving it. I don't see the muscles underneath actually twitched (e.g. wiggling in and out) - it looks like the thumb is just pulling back and forth - but not like a tremor - not shaking. Anyway - I've noticed it before in the past months but it lasts for only a few seconds and I thought it was positional (e.g. I'd be leaning on my elbow at the computer and would move and it would stop). But the last 3 days it's been happening when I sleep and now this AM - I'm awake and it suddenly starts happening. It lasts up to an hour at a time now too and possibly longer - not just a few seconds here and there. I've never had a persistent twitch before so it's very unnerving and in the hand makes me more nervous. Anyway - ironically most of my other twitching has subsided in the last few weeks because I was really focusing on NOT focusing on twitching and ALS. Then this!! FYI - I have no weakness. Last night while I couldn't sleep I was doing (modified) pushups on my fingertips and had no weakness or issues with that hand. Never been to the doctor about the twitching. I figured with no weakness and 5+ months of twitching I would take a wait and see attitude. Is this a common BFS twitch and is it common to change twitch types?
lots of girls here

Postby Stephanie on November 29th, 2004, 9:29 am

It seems to be common to bfs so try not to worry. There are other posts like this.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on November 29th, 2004, 2:21 pm

Hand and finger twitches can be scary. I've had what you describe as well. Mine lasted 2-3 days. My post is still there. I was panicked. Yes, it makes your fingers move. My brother has this as well. I get both types of twitches. Acually, I get persistent ones even more than one-hitters. The worst part about hand twitches is they are difficult to ignore unless you wear gloves! But it WILL go away in time. I've been twitching 6 months now with no real weakness. I saw a neuro but never had an EMG.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby bs on November 30th, 2004, 1:35 pm

I had a rash of these a few months ago. They went away after a few weeks. With me it's usually a middle finger that moves from side to side in a way that I can't really reproduce voluntarily. (I've never been able to do that vulcan salute thingy!)

IIRC in my case the finger twitches appeared about two or three months after I first noticed the problem, which was probably when things were at their worst. I still see this maybe every year or so. Like all the others it becomes easier to ignore after long enough... try not to let it bother you, there has got to be something else you would be better off thinking about. Go plan a vacation or something!
bs
Interested
Interested

Postby LeeNC on November 30th, 2004, 9:21 pm

bs,

A Vulcan salute to your good advice. :)
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby johnta on December 3rd, 2004, 2:06 pm

:) I've recently had a very similar episode, look at my posts & you'll see my (also worried !) plea for reassurance.
For info, I've had twitches for 8 years now, but a couple of months ago I developed a new type in my thumb. This now seems to have gone (took approx a month).
Like you, I also found myself doing press ups on my fingertips !!
Judging from my experiences backed up by avid reading etc (like most members of this forum), if you have no weakness after 6 months I reckon you're ok.

Cheers
johnta

Thanks for all your replies

Postby lots of girls here on December 4th, 2004, 3:18 am

Thank you all for your comments. My hand twitch has subsided - and seems possibly gone if not very, very infrequent. Unfortunately the incident seems to have set me back and I'm either having more bodywide twitches or just focusing more on them. The last 2 days my top eyelid has been the culprit along with my tailbone??? Whatever... I wish I could move on but obviously my brain isn't quite ready. In another week it will be 6 months AND COUNTING.... Whenever I'm having a paranoid moment I come read posts and it usually helps. Staying off the internet (except this site!) has made a big difference for me.
lots of girls here

Thanks for all your replies

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS