bulbar onset? need reassurance

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

bulbar onset? need reassurance

Postby collegeguy on October 28th, 2004, 10:54 pm

i am an 18 year old college student. following a very stressful time in my life, i started having fasciulations all over my body nearly three months ago. convinced something was seriously wrong with me, i had a number of panic attacks and began taking medication for my anxiety, which i continue to this day. this, coupled with no weakness (though i have fatigue), have led me to believe i have BFS.

i noticed throughout these 3 months that i have occasionally slurred my speech, though not enough for anyone to tell me i am. it only happens every now and then, but it definitely happens. also, a little less than 2 months ago, i had a lot of trouble eating. it seemed once i reached a certain amount of food, i couldnt eat anymore, and when i tried to, i got a bad choking feeling. this lasted a couple of weeks, it seemed, then gradually went away. i chalked it up to anxiety. periodically i also seemed to have an excess of saliva in my mouth, though this can be a side effect of Klonopin. I have had no problem so far with my swallowing of liquids.

this week, however, i noticed i have had labored breathing at times. all of these things have made me extremely nervous about bulbar. my tongue movement seems fine, and i dont think i've experienced any tongue fasiculations so far. my doc thinks the breathing is from some sort of bug, but don't these things seem all too much to be a coincidence? i am scared to death. if anyone here has any similar symptoms or contradictory facts, it would be greatly appreciated.
collegeguy

Postby garym on October 29th, 2004, 7:29 am

collegeguy,

The twitching you describe sounds a lot like bfs. The transient nature of your other problems do not sound like als. With that disease, sxs usually come and stay, they are not off and on. To me, your case sounds like bfs in regards to the twitching, and axiety for all the rest. When you subject yourself to hyper-vigilance due to anxiety, you will notice abnormalities in just about every bodily function. We all slurr our speech every now and then, and we all choke a little. Keep working on the anxiety and try stay positive about the twitching.

Take care,

Gary
garym

check for lyme

Postby eric on October 29th, 2004, 8:07 pm

lyme can cause slurring,bfs,anxiety,panic and a host of other symptoms.
alot of people dont get the rash. remeber that lyme disease is an infection of the brain and is hard to diagnose. check it out!
eric
look up dr burrascanno hints on the web and see if you fit...
eric
Hero
Hero

Difficulty swallowing

Postby Davey on February 16th, 2005, 1:18 pm

Your difficulty swallowing is due to anxiety. Doctors call it the globus sensation. It is very common in people with acute or generalized anxiety disorders. You might want to see your doctor and perhaps try an SSRI or another anti-anxiety medication.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

swallowing

Postby eric on February 16th, 2005, 5:58 pm

to davey: it is important not to tell someone that there problems are due to anxiety, anxiety can mean a host of things, it can also be neurologicaly driven, and if this is the case with this fellow bfsr then i would try to let them know the avenues they can go down to find out the cause,

eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Anxiety?

Postby Davey on February 17th, 2005, 3:16 pm

Based on collegeguy's age [18], perceived high stress level, admitted history of panic attacks, and use of medications for anxiety, my first inclination would be that he has an anxiety disorder.

True, there may be physiological problems at work here, but given his age, it is highly unlikely that it is bulbar onset ALS, myasthenia gravis, Parkinson's, esophogeal cancer, etc. Additionally, these symptoms may be caused by BFS (see my post in reply to "throat fatigue" in this Forum).

He may suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, acute anxiety, or somatization disorder.

He did not mention if he has seen a doctor yet. However, he has probably already done so, since he has taken medication for anxiety. If his doctor deems him healthy, he should seek counseling and ask his doctor to consider increasing his anxiety medication or trying another one.
Cheers,

Dave

Proud sufferer of Cramp-Fasciculation Syndrome since June 2001.

"Do not fear death tomorrow so much that you forget to live today."
Davey
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Roger G. on February 17th, 2005, 10:55 pm

You are classic BFS,Panic Disorder,anxiety,and depression. I have suffered from all at one time or the other. Let me say this,If you start to think you can't swallow,you wont.If you think that you are having a problem with your breathing,you will.(Get the picture :?: ) You're brain sounds like it is going into overdrive,I know, I've been their.You have to take some deep breaths. And focus on the breathing (deep,from the stomach).It may take a while to put the brakes on this, but we will be here to help :wink:
Roger G.
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS