Burning Tongue

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Burning Tongue

Postby puggriffey on October 5th, 2004, 12:47 pm

Just finished seeing my ENT for a regularly scheduled follow-up - had an interesting discussion.

It seems that most all of what remains of this whole bothersome series of BFS "issues" is what started it all for me - a lot of pain/discomfort in my tongue and neck, into the side of my head, and some occasional neck twitches when the discomfort is its greatest. We've looked at a lot - GERD, inflammation disorders, etc. My tongue has felt like it was burned for weeks now, and that got us talking about Burning Mouth Syndrome.

He believes I have it - it is harmless but quite annoying, and it's all we can come up with. Anyone else ever had this sensation, and have anything constructive to share about it?

It's quite relieving to have the "seriousness" of the potential problems I MIGHT have keep going down in scope, but when it's as annoying and painful as this tongue/throat can be at times, it's always nice to hear how others handle it.

Hope you all are having a wonderful day!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Burning tongue

Postby Christine on October 5th, 2004, 2:50 pm

Hi Pugriffey,

I also have been doing the whole neck, tongue, throat thing...My tongue doesn't burn but gets almost the fatigue feeling while eating and periodically my throat seems to close up during different times of the day. I went to the ENT as well and after the "Up your nose with a rubber hose" experience was dx with GERD. He put me on Previcid and said it could take 2 to 4 months before there was any improvment. Did your ENT originally dx you with GERD? Intellecually, I can deal with my twitches ( basically all over, all the time) since my clean emg of left arm and leg but because I was almost embrassed to also bring up the whole lump in the throat they didn't do the emg in the neck or throat area...Sometimes being a wimp with these Neuros. gets you nowhere fast! So emotionally I catch myself thinking what if its...Do you know if anything bad in your throat would show up on the arm/leg emg? Anyway, it sounds like your on the right track with all this! This BFS sure does affect alot of people for being such an unknown syndrome-I for one am glad I found all of you!
Have a great week!
Christine
Christine

Postby eleven on October 7th, 2004, 11:47 am

when my anxiety about this whole bfs thing was at its worst, i definitely had a burning tongue sensation. it would last for days or hours. mostly on my left side. even after i was mentally feeling better, it took over a month for the tongue burning to completely resolve. i asked my neuro about it, and he said that nerves/anxiety can definitely cause a burning tonge sensation. he seemed to think that anytime you are a total mental wreck that your nerves will start behaving strangely. makes sense to me, especially now that i have calmed down and no longer have the burning tongue.
The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow -William Blake
eleven

Postby Jayel on October 12th, 2004, 4:11 pm

I had the burning tongue along with the twitching last Dec. I let it ruin my holidays big-time. It went away and has not returned. I went off zoloft and on to wellbutrin which seems to have no side effects for me.

Hope this is helpful.

Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby JerryMc on October 26th, 2004, 11:59 am

Hi JG,

Have you noticed any improvement in your burning tongue? I've had this sensation for the past few weeks and it's driving me nuts. I also swear my tongue looks like it is shrinking, but I don't have any tongue twitching or weakness in my tongue and my eating and swallowing are normal. My wife is a dental hygienist and she tells me my tongue looks normal. I'm almost embarassed to make an appointment with my GP over this. I do have pretty bad anxiety and am taking Xanax and am in therapy, so hopefully the anxiety is the cause.

Jerry
JerryMc

Re: Burning Tongue

Postby unlucky_guy on November 3rd, 2004, 1:36 am

puggriffey wrote:Just finished seeing my ENT for a regularly scheduled follow-up - had an interesting discussion.

It seems that most all of what remains of this whole bothersome series of BFS "issues" is what started it all for me - a lot of pain/discomfort in my tongue and neck, into the side of my head, and some occasional neck twitches when the discomfort is its greatest. We've looked at a lot - GERD, inflammation disorders, etc. My tongue has felt like it was burned for weeks now, and that got us talking about Burning Mouth Syndrome.

He believes I have it - it is harmless but quite annoying, and it's all we can come up with. Anyone else ever had this sensation, and have anything constructive to share about it?

It's quite relieving to have the "seriousness" of the potential problems I MIGHT have keep going down in scope, but when it's as annoying and painful as this tongue/throat can be at times, it's always nice to hear how others handle it.

Hope you all are having a wonderful day!

JG

I'm just throwing this out there...but is it possible that you might have HSV-1 orally (cold sores)? If so, its possible that the virus may be causing your symptoms (by irritating the nerves)? Have you considered getting a blood test to check for HSV-1 or 2 just in case?

A lot of people have one of the viruses but just don't know it...

Good luck.
unlucky_guy
Interested
Interested

Postby JerryMc on November 3rd, 2004, 12:51 pm

I don't get cold sores on the outside of my mouth, but I do get cankor sores or ulcers on the inside of my mouth. I'll ask my doctor about it. Thanks.
JerryMc

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS