Clean EMG!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Clean EMG!

Postby mike3456 on September 29th, 2004, 11:25 am

For those who haven't been following my "adventures", see my previous posts for details, but, basically, BFS symptoms for almost 2 months. Last week- brain MRI normal (he said that means no MS-another thing I was concerned about-, no tumors, no vascular problems), and cervical (neck) MRI showed "minor herniated disc". Still no CPK results (a blood test having to do with checking muscles), and the EMG this morning...so on to that!

EMG normal! He was very thorough it seemed...probably 45min. to 1hr.

We talked about my herniated disk in my neck first and I think he was more focused on that then neuromuscular diseases. But he said that herniations like mine are common and it should be fine. What was interesting is he said the herniation was due to trauma, not degeneration. I think I know when it happened. I remember coming down on my butt pretty hard on a water slide last year. I remember feeling/hearing a pop in my neck. It didn't hurt at all. I bet that was it. He suggested I avoid any rough activities that would risk injuring it more- he said I still could, though- it just puts me at higher risk of worsening it. He mentioned that it might be the cause of my occasional twitching. He said I can do exercise and stretching etc. He said just don't crack your neck. I said I hate when I see people doing that, and I definately won't!! I like cracking other places- knuckles, knees, ankles, and toes! :P

Anyway, he did nerve conduction on my right leg and both arms. I had mainly complained about my right side, but I think he might of checked the left arm also because of the herniated disc. He said no evidence of nerve impingement and that the nerves near the disk probably adapted to the herniation (forgot his exact words on that). For this he taped electrodes to my skin at various locations and applied what felt like a mild electric shock, which actually stimulated my muscles to jump (weird feeling).

He then did the needle tests on my right arm (about 5 points) and my right leg (about 3-4 points I think). He said no neuromuscular disease and, in particular no ALS (he knew that was one of my concerns, so he was explicit about that). The needles did "pinch", much like getting a shot, and some stung more than others (depending where he sticked me). Once they were in though, I didn't feel them.

He said there's no need for surgery on my neck, and said it should be fine on it's own (the radiologist report said it was "minor"). During the exam he asked if I had any back pain or had been in any accidents. I do get various back aches in my middle and lower back at times also. The only "accident" I recall was the water park thing. I asked if the occasional leg symptoms could be caused by spine problems in my lower back. He said it was possible, and we could investigate further if I wanted. I said I wasn't concerned about it at this point, because the symptoms were minor. He said OK. I asked if we should keep the follow-up appt. in 2 weeks and he seemed open to either option, but we decided to keep it, so we could talk about the CPK results when they come back, and any other topics, questions. He said he could also prescribe medication if my leg was still bothering me. So, this is good. I'll write down any specific questions I think of and ask him at the next appt.

What I realized leaving the office was I started "questioning" things in my mind, but I stopped myself. I realized that if I over-analyze, the dark side of my mind will starting finding all kinds of "ifs, ands, or buts, loopholes, etc.". I realized that there are so many things in life I *could* worry about if I wanted to-it's fear of the unknown. So, I decided to focus on the current *reality*- normal neuro exam, normal MRI (except disc), normal EMG with normal nerve conduction, and the neuro and my doctor saying that this was benign, a *real* problem of a herniated disc, which thankfully is not life-threatening and, for that matter, in no way life-style altering, for me anyway. I don't play rough sports or go to amusement parks often.

I think I'll move on with my life now. I'll probably frequent this board less than the past week, as I don't want to think too much more about this anymore! But, I'll be checking in from time to time, and try give back the support that's been given to me.

Thanks for all the support! :D
-Mike
mike3456

Postby Stephanie on September 29th, 2004, 12:33 pm

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now go live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Johnny on September 29th, 2004, 1:45 pm

Way to go Mike!
Johnny
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on September 29th, 2004, 3:15 pm

Great news!! It is such a relief to walk out of a neuro appointment and have that clean emg behind you. It sounds like you have a thoughtful and thorough doctor which is also great. Enjoy your day!

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby whatnext on September 29th, 2004, 4:06 pm

Great news! I'm happy for you!!!!!!
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby amy_twitch on September 29th, 2004, 4:18 pm

Awesome! You have the right attitude to move forward! Congrats!
-Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Debbs on September 29th, 2004, 8:23 pm

Mike, Thats the news we all expected, well done. Good idea to move on with your life, love life and enjoy living !

Deb
Debbs

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 11:16 pm

Mike

I'm happy for you. You seem to be in a good place now. Keep that great attitude and don't let those "what if's" creep back in...EVER !

Best wishes,
Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS