Total Panic - Can't move my toes

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Total Panic - Can't move my toes

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 10:48 am

I'm so scared right now. I been twitching for 6 months now with previously no other symptoms. Well, this week, I can't move some of my toes on my left foot ! I can't lift them up. Of course you know what I'm thinking...the clinical weakenss is starting! My left leg has been twitching, popping and vibrating like crazy lately. I rushed to my GP yesterday. She ordering an MRI of my lower back and a Western Lyme Blot. She said some kind of neuropathy. I went to the Bad web site and read that sometimes a focal neuropathy is how the 3 letters starts and is therefore mis-diagnosed early on. :shock:

I have some numbness on some of my toes and if you tap the top of my foot I get an electrical sensation. Please tell me this is inconsistant with you know what.

I'm going to the blood work today. Don't know when I'll have the MRI..gotta wait for the darn insurance pre-approval.

Should I call my neuro as well? Or just wait to see what the MRI and Labs show...BTW I've already had a Lyme Titer that came back normal

I am so scared. Please send lots and lots of good vibs my way that this turns out to be something simple like a pinched nerve. I am in tears over this. :cry:

Having a very bad day,
Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby homer8 on September 29th, 2004, 11:34 am

Numbness in your toes usually means a pinched sciatic nerve and has nothing to do with ***, it can also cause twitching, spasams and cramping. My sister herniated her disk around a month ago. Her left leg has been twithing and cramping and she cant feel her big toe. Also electrical sensations lead away from the bad disease as well.

Try to relax and take a deep breath.

Paul
homer8

Postby mike3456 on September 29th, 2004, 12:08 pm

Hi Barb,

I know the fear you are going though...look through my recent posts.

Let's look at the realities here. You had a normal EMG while showing symptoms. This means the EMG would have picked up any signs of the bad disease at that time if your symptoms were cause by it. OK, so your symptoms are not imagined and are real, *but* there are so many much more common reasons for your symptoms than the "bad disease", especially at your age and sex. I read that disc problems are not uncommon in people in their 30's and 40's. Remember, the bad disease is *rare* to begin with (compared to all the other benign things that could happen), and occurs more commonly in an older age range. But let's focus one more time on your *normal* EMG.

And, yes, sensory symptoms like numbness and tingling, and even *real* weakness can be caused by sciatica (an irritation/pinching of the nerve root in your lower spine that connects to the sciatic nerve, which basically runs down into your leg). That can cause all kinds of symptoms, and in your entire leg (and is more common to have symptoms in one leg). I believe I may have this problem, though I haven't had my lower spine imaged yet.

Do a google search on sciatica (and disc degeneration) and pay attention to how common it is and what the symptoms are Read up on it thoroughly. Give it as much of your attention (no, give it more!) than the bad disease information! It, in reality, deserves 1000 times more of your attention because of the sheer odds! I believe it will make you feel much better, and then talk about it with you doctor. And besides that, I'm sure there are even many more harmless possibilties of your symptoms.

Remember, doctors are concerned about *any* problems you might have, even *minor* ones, even if it's sciatica, for instance. It should be reassuring that they want to follow-up with you. Further if it's worrying you, just try to explain that your doctor also. Anxiety is another thing I suffer from and I'm on Zoloft for it. It's nothing to be ashamed of, and it should be acknowledged and maybe treated also, and you doctor should also work with you on that. Whether that means drugs, therapy, or even ordering a test that will calm your fears.

Hang it there, brighter days are coming!!
-Mike
mike3456

Postby Stephanie on September 29th, 2004, 12:31 pm

NUMBNESS AND SENSATIONS OF ANY KIND ARE TOTALLY INCONSISTANT WITH A--!!!! Try not to let this freak you out--especially since you had a normal emg. That rules out the bad disease. Electrical sensations are due to something like sciatica but NOT the bad disease. In fact I read a blurb in a health mag lately that said if you feel electrical sensations while pressing on something then it's not als (it was a test to distinguish between a-- and some other nerve prob like carpel tunnel). Hang in there!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Ava on September 29th, 2004, 3:18 pm

Fasiculations and negative emg means no ALS.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 4:47 pm

Thank you for the encouraging words. I still have one more question....my EMG was done 4 months ago. My toes were working then. Should I push to get another EMG?
Barb916
Hero
Hero

lyme

Postby eric on September 29th, 2004, 5:56 pm

barb
what were the bands if any that showed western blot !
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby LeeNC on September 29th, 2004, 7:15 pm

Barb:

I totally agree with the succinct statements by Stephanie and Ava. Mike & "Homey" are also making good points. We don't think numbness is related to you-know-what, do we?

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on September 29th, 2004, 8:22 pm

I would push for another emg because it will make you feel better and assure you that this is not a bad disease. I'm in the "need an emg to believe this is bfs" camp and thus would get an emg for peace of mind. Otherwise I would worry even though it is not logical to do so.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 10:38 pm

Eric - I don't know the results of the Western Blot yet. I just had the blood drawn today. I would guess I won't know for about a week. I will post the results then.

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 10:46 pm

I'm not supposed to see my neuro again until Feb but I think I'm going to call tomorrow for an appointment. By the time I get in (probably at least a month from now) the blood work and MRI should all be in. If my immobile toes is not caused by lyme or by disc hernation, you bet you patootie I'm going to ask for another EMG!

I can't take this emotional roller-coaster anymore. I hate it ! My GP did prescribe me some Lorazepam today. I hope it helps my anxiety.

Waiting is torture. I'll probably be a basket case for the next couple weeks until all these tests are done and results are back. Is it sick to say I hope I do have a herniated disc or Lyme? I mean, I don't want to be sick at ALL, I just want an answer and I want it to be something I could fix !

Thanks to all who have shown support. I appreciate it.

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby Bree on September 29th, 2004, 10:55 pm

I've been twitching since June. All my symptoms reached a peak in August when I had electrical current sensations running down both legs, both shins were numb and two toes on my left foot were numb and I couldn't move them. Right now I'm only having occasional twitching. Sounds very familiar. Try not to worry!

Bree
Bree

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 11:04 pm

Bree - does that mean that you CAN move your toes now? What did you doctor have to say about the whole thing?
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby Bree on September 29th, 2004, 11:16 pm

Barb-Yes, toes are completely back to normal. This episode was AFTER my neuro visit, complete with bloodwork, MRI of brain and C-spine, visual evoked potential testing and somatosensory testing of both arms and legs. He said I ABSOLUTELY did not have ALS or MS. Finding this site saved my sanity. (Thanks, everyone) Once I started to relax, most of my symptoms went away. Just minor twitching at the moment.
Bree

Postby Barb916 on September 29th, 2004, 11:20 pm

Excellent news! I hope my toes "come back to life" as yours did. It's comfortating to know that someone else actually had this happen to them. I'm so releived to hear that. No one else ever posted about immobility before. THANK YOU for sharing your experience. :)

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Next

Return to Experiences with BFS