Some good news, but still very anxious.

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Some good news, but still very anxious.

Postby mike3456 on September 28th, 2004, 12:44 pm

Hello all,

Well, I couldn't take it anymore, so I called my neuro to see if they had my brain and c-spine MRI and CPK test results yet. MRI of the brain was normal, and c-spine showed a minor disc herniation (doesn't suprise me one bit, given the on and off neck pain I've had). So that's the good news.

But, my right leg has still been bothering me- with a weak feeling from my knee down. I can still walk fine, stand on toes, heels, etc. though I feel it when I walk, which kinda makes me "favor" it I think. My EMG is tomorrow morning and with no CPK results yet I'm extremely nervous. Of course, the twitches are still happening here there and everywhere, though not frequent I guess.

I 'm trying to tell myself that I might have another disk problem in my lower back causing these various symptoms in my right leg, after all it varies from a "weak" feeling, to an ache, to feeling OK at times, plus I get lower back/buttock aches on that side occasionally. But the rt leg feeling haven't completely subsided for 1.5 weeks now, though they have changed in sensation. I even had a 1 week episode of "tail bone" pain that the Dr. said was actually considered lower back pain. A week of stretching and Ibuprofen stopped it and that was 3 months ago. Maybe that's related to my leg sensations. But my fear is peaking again and it's hard to convince myself.

The neuro is doing my EMG tomorrow morming and said the he can give me the results as he performs it, which is good because the waiting will kill me. They said the two week follow-up appt. is standard practice just to see how I'm feeling answering any more questions, etc.

Still very nervous.

As always thanks for listening.
-Mike
mike3456

Postby amy_twitch on September 28th, 2004, 2:48 pm

This is all great news! Don't over-worry. It's a nasty pattern. I have to re-direct you to Arron's 'BFS in a nutshell' post because it points out the very true notion that it's not good to keep 'testing' your strength by walking on toes and heels, etc...It only makes you more stiff and sore.

Your back herniation is interesting. I've seen quite a few people here post about herniation and bulging discs. I also just had a thoracic x-ray yesterday to check on my spine (I've had lots of mid-back pain lately--probably from lifting my kids so much). My doctor said that any sort of irritation in the spine can cause a whole host of symptoms.

No reason to stress! Try to stop testing your legs and take lots of ibuprofen to off-set any inflammation that might be going on in that area.

Can't wait to hear about the EMG tomorrow!

Amy
amy_twitch
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on September 28th, 2004, 9:04 pm

I get aching in my calves too. Sometimes I feel like they're going to cramp up, but they don't. I think a lot of people get that (even one's w/out bfs) so try not to focus on that. You'll feel so much better tomorrow after the emg that you won't care about that Weak feeling anymore. I'm glad you'll get the good news right away!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Debbs on September 28th, 2004, 9:24 pm

Hi Mike,

Thinking about you and just wondering how you went with the EMG ?

Deb (oopsie its the 29th here in Australia and you havent been yet...lol sorry)
Debbs

Postby mike3456 on September 28th, 2004, 11:40 pm

Thanks for the replies. Tomorrow morning is the EMG. I just want to get it over with...I'm still somewhat nervous, but I think the Zoloft is starting to kick in and I'm not having any major anxiety. Thanks for the words of support.
-Mike
mike3456

Postby Debbs on September 29th, 2004, 2:04 am

Hey Mike,

I think everyone gets nervous and anxious about going to see a doctor even if its just your local GP, so you sound all so normal to me. I understand about the "weak leg thing" I also suffered with that some time ago, my left leg would often buckle and I found it difficult to walk down stairs without them shaking and going rubbery on me, not a nice feeling but they were just symptoms and nothing more, anxiety will do it to ya everythime its just part and parcel with the BFS syndrome. I pray that you will get thru tomorrow and I fully know that your emg will be normal, to tell you not to worry is ridiculous because we are all human and its a normal response, just trust your neuro when he tells you its all okay, listen to him he is the expert and do whatever he tells you to do regarding any meds ect, he does have your best interests at heart. I look forward to hearing your good news Mike, take care and chin up and keep smiling your going to be just fine, and you have a great future ahead of you.

Deb
Debbs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS