Hurricanes and BFS

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Hurricanes and BFS

Postby thetwitchkid on September 27th, 2004, 9:30 am

Well, I live in Florida and we have just experienced our 4th Hurricane this year. After putting up my hurricane panels (quite heavy sheets of metal) as well as taking them down, using the chain saw to remove downed trees and stacking 50 to 100 lbs. limbs, I realize that my twitching was deminished and I still have decent strength. Maybe because my focus was elsewhere? Just thought I'd share with you that anxiety and OCD about BFS does matter.

Maybe the Hurricanes are God's way of saying don't focus on the un-important things of life?

Have a great day.
thetwitchkid
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby puggriffey on September 27th, 2004, 2:06 pm

After a recent clean EMG (which ironically was done to verify that no nerve impingment from a herniated disc was taking place - I had forgotten there are OTHER uses for the EMG!! :D ), and the accompanying clean MRI's done a few weeks back, I have had a dramatic reduction in stress, tension and symptoms. I have not twitched (noticeably) for days...two weeks ago, I felt like I was rapidly spiraling downward, and convinced something was seriously wrong.

I have absolutely no doubt BFS is a REAL condition (despite what other posters have had to say about it) in other forums, much like a vast number of the most prevalent medical conditions of the day. I also believe strongly that while stress in and of itself does not "trigger" this, I believe the overwhelming majority of symptoms are perpetuated by our minds, our fears and our "makeup", which for most of us is one that spends nearly 24/7 in some way contemplating our health or other stresses. For much the same reason that I ALWAYS stop twitching and feel substantially better when I'm in my neuro's office or the ER, I experience a dramatic reduction in my symptoms when I finally get the miracle of reassurance I must subconsciously crave. In that regard, there is too much evidence that my mind is playing the dominant role in my continuing struggle with BFS.

When I needed it most, this site gave me two very important "lifelines" - the comfort of others experiencing the very same things I was (I'm not alone anymore) and the glimmer of hope that I COULD get through this (normal" people survive). I have now been through the cycle twice, and while I pretty much feel that I may spend the rest of my life twitching, experiencing fatigue, and dealing with small, random physical symptoms (as one does with a "syndrome"), I now know too much to let myself go into that dark place again, and have the tangible proof I need to finally trust my doctors who are ensuring me that I, they, and thousands of medical students can all be subject to the power of the mind. (and yes, Eric, I DID check for lyme too - and I don't have it).

I hope everyone who is out there and struggling finds power and hope in this thread, and I hope those of you out there like me who have seen both sides of this cycle will take the small amount of time it would take to create one of the most powerful, compelling and hopeful threads on this site.

God bless all, and smile a lot today!!!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS