good GP visit and clean mri today

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

good GP visit and clean mri today

Postby whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 2:34 pm

I saw my GP again today for a "zoloft check" and all went well. He asked if I'd heard from the mri I had last Friday night yet and I said I hadn't. He said to wait a minute and he'd make a phone call and have the results faxed over immediately. He said that if anything bad had shown up I'd have been notified by now. So after about 10 mins he came back in and said CLEAN MRI! He even showed me the radiologist's report. He said that radiologists show no mercy when analyzing an image and when THEY say it's clean it's clean. I asked if there were any signs of my migraine and he said the report mentions nothing. So ms has been ruled out just as he and the neuro PA suspected all along.

As for zoloft, he wants me to stay on it for at least the next 3 months and I think that's a good idea.

He also reassured me that my twitching was benign but that having the emg will definitely help put the anxiety to bed. He also commented that I absolutely did the right thing by requesting the further neuro testing (recall the neuro PA left that option up to me after performing a normal neuro exam on me). With anxiety, peace of mind is half the battle.

Today went a LONG way towards helping me overcome my anxiety. Now, if I can find out why my left shin has been numb (not tingling, but numb like a really long lasting carpet burn) from just below the knee to about half way down to my sock I'll be happy. :) I actually did some pin pricking last night and I can definitely feel the pin! I think it's somehow related to the power walking I did after not walking for nearly a week just after starting the zoloft. Suggestions?
Last edited by whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby puggriffey on September 24th, 2004, 2:45 pm

Yes - DEFINITELY the walking...I had that, and two good sessions of physical therapy LITERALLY cleared it up.

Congrats on the good news...EMG will be similarly good.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby whatnext on September 24th, 2004, 6:15 pm

I forgot to mention that I asked my doc his opinion about bfs as a true syndrome with all the accompanying symptoms. He said the official word is "we don't really know for sure" but he's at least heard of it.

I also asked him about having an occasional beer or glass of wine while on zoloft and he said it's no problem. He said it's well documented that alcohol doesn't interfere with zoloft. I only asked because the patient insert specifically said not to do it.
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Barb916 on September 24th, 2004, 8:07 pm

Congrats on your good news!

Barb
Barb916
Hero
Hero

Postby mike3456 on September 24th, 2004, 10:51 pm

whatnext, i was waiting on your update...that's great news. I have to sweat out waiting for my MRI results now and then the EMG on Wed. I was wondering about alcohol myself tonight, as my anxiety shot up for a while when I got home (on day 3 of Zoloft) and didn't want to take Diazepam. So I had a beer (XX). It was all I needed...I'm OK now. :wink:
-Mike
mike3456

Postby LeeNC on September 25th, 2004, 8:48 am

Zoloft and alcohol.

You won't hear a professional say it, but I can: Go ahead and have a beer...or two! Myself, I like both beer and wine - but not together. From personal experience, I can say Zoloft does fine with margaritas too.

I've been on Zoloft for 3 months now, and have enjoyed a drink on a regular basis, just like before Zoloft. I can't say it helps BFS, but it does have that nice temporary relaxing effect, same as always.

As Whatnext noted, the fine print for Zoloft says there is no biochemical reaction between Zoloft and alcohol. I think the reason we're cautioned against alcohol is simply due to liability. In some people, Zoloft causes drowsiness. (Hah, wish I were one of those people sometimes.)

--LeeNC
LeeNC
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS