myoclonus

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

myoclonus

Postby speg on September 21st, 2004, 9:28 am

For the past two nights, I have been having horrible myoclonus (jerking of limbs) as I fall asleep. This happens all over my body. Is this BFS? Anxiety? Klonopin withdrawal? Zoloft withdrawal? Pregnancy?

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

:

Postby dont on September 21st, 2004, 9:36 am

For me it happened/happens most when my anxiety is high.

K
dont
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on September 21st, 2004, 9:57 am

This is almost certainly Klonopin withdrawl. I suspect you will get it even worse if/when you go back on Klonopin after a long stretch of being off of it - for me, this was really the primary feature of both my withdrawl during weaning, and then anytime I take one at bedtime now.

My GP and my neuro both said they hear/see THIS specific complaint regarding changes in doses (up/down) of Klonopin much more than any other...lo and behold, for me at least, there was a direct cause and effect. I suspect you will eventually just have a night where this disappears. Hang in there.

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby Stephanie on September 21st, 2004, 12:45 pm

I've had that happen all of my life. I even notice it in my 4 yr old. Pregnancy may make it worse.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby speg on September 23rd, 2004, 4:02 pm

JG -- I think it must be the klonopin. I mean, this just started up three nights ago, when I practically stopped cold-turkey. How long will this last? Thanks for telling me your DR said this was a major withdrawal symtpom!

The only other thing "different" right now is the pregnancy, and I guess only time will tell if that is causing it.

I'm even having it during the day. At times, my leg will just jerk suddenly! I feel edgy and antsy as well, and my hand tremors are worse.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Re: myoclonus

Postby eric on September 24th, 2004, 7:36 am

speg wrote:For the past two nights, I have been having horrible myoclonus (jerking of limbs) as I fall asleep. This happens all over my body. Is this BFS? Anxiety? Klonopin withdrawal? Zoloft withdrawal? Pregnancy?

Peg

I would check lyme disease?
it is possible.
eric
eric
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on September 27th, 2004, 1:52 am

I get this too. It was worse right after I stoped Klonopin. Better now.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on September 27th, 2004, 10:38 am

How long does klonopin withdrawal last?

I regret having gone cold turkey.

I've had the jerks now for a week. I was on 1.5-2 mg of klonopin for two months.

ANNOYING! I could barely sleep last night.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby Ava on September 27th, 2004, 9:32 pm

I feel better now but it's about 2 months since I stopped the klonopin. I would say that my twitching now is about like it was while I was on the klonopin but during the last 2 months it was increased. For me, I wouldn't consider the increase in twitching a withdrawl side effect - its just the normal state of my twitch.

I felt anxious for about 3 days following going off the drug. A little anxious for about 1 week after that and now I feel high vitality and generally good.

Ava
Ava
Hero
Hero

Postby puggriffey on September 28th, 2004, 9:01 am

Speg-

For everyone, it is different. For me, I had about 10 days of feeling very lousy before I felt like myself again. It was the WORST as I was going to sleep and especially when I first woke up...the jerks, as I recall, only seemed to happen at bedtime, but the anxious, tense, jittery feeling in the morning was the worst for me.

Believe it or not, for the myoclonus jerks, I REALLY feel like "immersion" techniques for OCD come in really handy. Basically, this says that if you feel something you fear or don't want to happen, instead of letting your mind go into "please make this stop" mode, you actually try to make your self jerk...you confront the sensation, feeling head on and put your mind to work on making it happen more...of course, most likely you won't be able to (which in and of itself is what you are hoping for, right?), but if you do have a jerk, your mind won't get frustrated or alarmed, it will just slowly come to accept it (as accomplishment)...the theory is, that reengineering of your mindset will alleviate your concerns, and I for one have found that to be true. It is not a cure-all, but it does have some positive benefits.

Nonetheless, I'd say getting over the hump for you should be a matter of days not weeks - hang in there!

JG
puggriffey
Hero
Hero

Postby uber on September 30th, 2004, 12:33 pm

I get nocturnal mycolonus when im anxious too....but then again so does everybody...dont worry about it
uber
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS