walked a mile today

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

walked a mile today

Postby whatnext on September 10th, 2004, 7:35 pm

Today was the most normal day I've had in about three months. After my neuro consult this morning I had a relatively normal day at work and stayed until 4 pm. I had been leaving early to reduce stress but I actually got some useful things done today. This evening, I resumed my walking for the first time in a week. I took a slightly different route and clocked 0.92 miles in just under 30 mins. I deliberately took my time. All the while, my calves felt as though they were on the verge of cramping but they never actually did. Afterwards, while relaxing, I observed some slight twitching in them. It occurred to me that the feeling of "almost cramping" seemed familiar and it could be that this could be the same sensation that frightened me so much as I described in my very first post here. Hmmm...could that night back in June have been the night bfs officially announced itself to me, with "almost cramping" rather than with twitching? My sinus infection was already in progress at that time but I didn't know it.
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Stephanie on September 10th, 2004, 9:02 pm

I get that "almost cramping" feeling a lot. Glad I'm not the only one.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby Ginlyn on September 10th, 2004, 11:51 pm

Congrats on your mile!!!!! That's great!!!!!!

First a mile, then who knows, right?

Sometimes stretching your calves slight before walking and then after, will alleviate cramping.

Way to go!!

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Postby whatnext on September 11th, 2004, 7:56 am

My target is TWO miles a day, but I won't do that every day of the week. I would like to eventually walk three days a week and go two miles each day. Depending on exactly which cul-de-sacs I include on my route around my subdiv, I can make my route as long as 1.3 miles per lap. Yesterday was a little stressful because I didn't know how I would tolerate the walking since being on the zoloft for only a week and from being frightened about the twitching and all. I'll probably not walk at all tonight becuase I really need to get the grass mowed before the next hurricane remnant blows through. :-)
I will ultimately and completely crush, defeat, anihilate, and eradicate my anxiety so it cannot and will not do the same to me.
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Saturday was great, and some thoughts

Postby whatnext on September 12th, 2004, 10:00 am

After I got my energy yesterday I accomplished a lot! I was able to get out and mow my entire yard (0.35 acre) in just under an hour. Not once did I have to stop due to cramping either! I was tired afterward, but I didn't get a single cramp. I had some slight twitching in my calves, but that was it. Once again I forgot to wear my pedometer to measure the distance I walk while doing my yard. I'm sure it's at least equivalanet to my regular walking distance. I came in and lay down to relax and after about an hour I dozed off. After a very restful night I feel pretty much fine this morning. My calves are tired, but I expected that.

Something else occurred to me yesterday while driving. For those of us who have right sided perceived weakness, consider this. The vast majority of us drive with our right foot and right hand. If we had true clinical weakness on that side, we wouldn't be able to drive! I've yet to hear of anyone on here having caused a traffic accident!

This realization made me realize something else too, and that is that there are reassurances all around us. Part of overcoming anxiety is knowing how and when to recognize them. When we can't do that, we can always come to supportive forums like this for the gentle reminders that we need!
whatnext
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby mike3456 on September 22nd, 2004, 12:50 pm

You make a good point and I've been thinking of that too. I'm trying to reassure myself, as I have a neuro appt. this afternoon (see my last post).

I've noticed another pervasive (nervous) habit I have- leg bouncing. And guess what? I almost always using my right leg. I figure I'm giving that whole leg (esp. my calves) a workout every day (because I'm so anxious). I'm hoping that's what causing my tight/achey/points of pain/and perceived weakness in that leg. The perceived weakness is most likely muscle fatigue from overuse and I'm just sitting! hmmm is there a difference between muscle fatigue and weakness? I do tend notice twitching in that calf probably more than anywhere else.

Anyway, the driving thing got me thinking too. I commute in city traffic a total of 1 hr/per day and we often drive places besides that. I drive an automatic, so it's all my right leg.

Anyway, I'm still nervous about my appt.

Thanks for listening.
-Mike
mike3456

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS