Nightmares

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Nightmares

Postby Xina535 on September 19th, 2014, 3:13 am

Experience to share:

Nightmares!

Lots of them lately....all having to do with the people around me getting diagnosed with A** including teenagers, women my age, priests, and even animals (pets). Very vivid dreams, can remember most if it. Awoke from one just now....

I know having nightmares are more of a symptom/experience of anxiety, but knowing that makes me realize that I DO have extreme anxiety within me, even if I think it's been more stable at certain times. Not true, still tied up in knots. :|
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Re: Nightmares

Postby Yuliasir on September 19th, 2014, 5:29 am

anxiety is practically a state of living, compared to diabetes - chronic condition requiring constant monitoring and attention.

It is practically good that you have nightmares - it measn your mind is trying to process fears you have and sublime it into dreams making what CBT coaches call 'exposure' if I do not mess anything :)

I had them when I was in my previous acute phase - I was dreaming about having rabies. In this phase I have dreams about war...

so it is rathre good - your mind tries to heal istelf.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 19th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Thanks Yulia! I never thought about that before, so thank you!

I can deal with all the nightmares my mind can give me, as long as they stay nightmares in the fantasy world. I feel for those living in these nightmares, I think about them every day. I donated a large sum to the ALS Walk happening in the Twin Cities on Saturday. A few co-workers of mine are walking for the cure. I would be, but my flight to Florida is around the start time. I wish and hope every day for a breakthrough in treatment and cure.
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Little Lost on September 19th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Xina...like yourself I have nightmares, except I dream that I have woken to find I can't move a leg or arm, or a foot drop, or I can't swallow....of course I am still sleeping, but it seems so real that when I do wake, the border between reality and nightmare is still blurred for a while....frightening until your head wakes up and catches up. You know awake but still dreaming. It is so terrifying that it sends me shooting out of bed, shaking all over. Not allowed to talk about ALS/MND in my house ( easier to pretend I got over that fear a long time ago), so I just tell hubby I am fine just a bit of cramp. Hate having to go back to sleep after one of those nightmares so I spend so much of my night alone, staring out of bloody window, wondering how it got to this. I have never been health anxious only ever have the ALS fear. Not every night these dreams but enough.

Stay strong.
Hx
Little Lost
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 19th, 2014, 9:09 pm

Dream interpretation is a subject I have much interest in. Surprise! :) A vast majority of people dream in symbolism, so please don't interpret these dreams literally. It does not sound like you are, but I figured I would throw that out there. Dreams are kind of like having a free therapist living in your head because you can see a symbolic representation of things you are going through in your life. Just as an example from my own personal experiences, I had a dream that was very vivid on the morning of the 15th. I had just watched a documentary the weekend prior that had shaken me up by presenting me with information that was uncomfortable to consider. It had me questioning many things I thought I knew. So in the dream I was in a house with my wife and several friends. Suddenly the house shook violently and seemingly dropped with a loud thud and strong shudder. After checking to see that everyone was OK, we went outside to find that the house was previously on metal stilts and the metal had rusted out, collapsing the foundation so that the house fell to the earth.

The foundation of the house seems like it likely represented the foundation of my (currently under review) beliefs and views which were seemingly collapsing from under me. Interestingly one friend that was in the house with me is going through a similar experience but regarding completely different circumstances. She recently watched a documentary on how livestock animals are treated prior to becoming our food. She was so moved by this that she is on day 3 of being a vegetarian. Although completely different circumstances, it is the same basic situation where foundation beliefs are collapsing out from under her. This is another reason the symbolism seems to be valid in this interpretation.

I actually keep a notebook by the bed stand and write down vivid dreams so that I can read them later and try and interpret the message they have for me. I have been very happy with this and find it very therapeutic. I recommend doing the same if you are interested. Nightmares are definitely not as pleasant as regular dreams, but they can contain some important symbolism regarding emotional issues you are facing. By listening to the messages they are trying to bring you, it may help you to resolve them internally and come to peace with warring aspects of your psyche. Like I said, it's like having a free therapist in your head. Why not make use of them? Best of luck and I hope your dreams take a positive flavor soon!
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Postby German2 on September 20th, 2014, 1:31 am

I find this very interesting and so I want to share my dream experience here to...Since I live in fear about MND I dream about all the things which were so positive in my life. I dream of situations I like to be into..Also I take a a medication which can turn your dreams into a nightmare, I dream in a positive way. And every morning, I wake up, I am waking up in a nightmare...I know this all wasn't true and my life is a mess...Something is hurting, buzzing, not ok..These positive dreams are getting stronger, the more a doctors appointment comes closer...So I hate getting awake in the morning.
German2
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 20th, 2014, 1:49 am

Little lost, sounds like your nightmares are really intense, maybe even night tremors (is that the right word)? I am sorry, I hope they ease up.

Secret agent, I have told myself over and over that I would keep a journal and wrote my dreams down, because if they aren't these nightmares, they are otherwise very strange and vivid. My co-worker bought me a Wonder Woman journal (since she thinks of me as a miracle worker at work), and I wondered what I could do with it, so this is perfect!

German, i know what you mean about hating to wake up. Every morning when my mind adjusts to reality from a sleep state, my first thoughts are, "*sigh* still have this. How am I going to deal today?" But just writing that makes me feel bad, since compared to many, the symptoms and anxiety I have are not comparable. Just wanted to say that I know that feeling.

Will try to sleep now...wonder what it will be this time!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby Xina535 on September 20th, 2014, 1:49 am

Little lost, sounds like your nightmares are really intense, maybe even night tremors (is that the right word)? I am sorry, I hope they ease up.

Secret agent, I have told myself over and over that I would keep a journal and wrote my dreams down, because if they aren't these nightmares, they are otherwise very strange and vivid. My co-worker bought me a Wonder Woman journal (since she thinks of me as a miracle worker at work), and I wondered what I could do with it, so this is perfect!

German, i know what you mean about hating to wake up. Every morning when my mind adjusts to reality from a sleep state, my first thoughts are, "*sigh* still have this. How am I going to deal today?" But just writing that makes me feel bad, since compared to many, the symptoms and anxiety I have are not comparable. Just wanted to say that I know that feeling.

Will try to sleep now...wonder what it will be this time!
Xina535
Saint
Saint

Postby SecretAgentMan on September 20th, 2014, 7:08 am

Wonder Woman, I like it! Keep us posted if you don't mind. Perhaps we can have a 'dream journal' thread where people can write down their interesting dreams and others can chime in with positive interpretations or potential messages.
If your mind is your own worst enemy, why not make friends with it and turn it into your greatest ally? Mental discipline is achievable and there is help available. Learn what works for you, practice, and change your life for the better.
SecretAgentMan
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS