Mistaking pulse for a twitch?

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Mistaking pulse for a twitch?

Postby speg on August 4th, 2004, 1:39 pm

Today I was staring at my hands again. (The area between my pinkie and wrist has been twitching/contracting alot lately.) I was starting to feel better cause I read that usually in small muscles like in the hands, weakness almost always presents first. Suddenly, I noticed a very tiny twitch at the base of my thumbs -- I am talking tiny!!! It moved constantly. I finally checked my pulse, and it seems to be a tiny vessel. Then, I looked really hard and found one on the other thumb. Has anyone mistaken a pulse for a twitch? Can pulses be seen in tiny veins?

I know I am being hypervigilant here . . . it also appeared the fleshy area between my thumb and pointer finger is slightly twitching and my fingers are moving as well.

Peg
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby speg on August 4th, 2004, 2:07 pm

THIS IS ABSURD!!!

Now I have a REAL twitch between my pointer finger and thumb on the top of my hand! It's big and I can feel it. I truly believe I got this one because of all that *beep* stuff I read about atrophy, etc.!!!

CAN WE CAUSE CERTAIN AREAS TO TWITCH? POWER OF SUGGESTION?
speg
Hero
Hero

Postby BTS on August 4th, 2004, 2:40 pm

I certainly think staring, obsessing or just having too much "mind-chatter" relating to twitching makes it much worse. Does for me, I think about it too much, it gets worse.

Relax, and enjoy the day...this too, will pass.

Brian
BTS

Postby jasonh_22 on August 4th, 2004, 2:58 pm

I know what youre talking about. Sometimes I will feel a twitch in my ankle that coincides with my pulse perfectly...it will last like a minute or so like that...then go away. BFS is one crazy condition.
jasonh_22

Postby Stephanie on August 4th, 2004, 4:43 pm

My 1st neuro was asked to do an EMG on another Dr at the hospital. He thought he had als because of a twitch on his hand. Turned out it wasn't a twitch but it was a pulse. If a Dr. from a good hospital can make that mistake so can we on some of our twitches.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby maudlin on August 4th, 2004, 10:36 pm

CAN WE CAUSE CERTAIN AREAS TO TWITCH? POWER OF SUGGESTION?

Oh yes we can! For example, I NEVER got abdominal twitches until I read about them here.

In addition, the neurologist I saw last month (a fabulous, patient, very reassuring man who went into a lot of detail with me) was describing to me how he has diagnosed himself with ALS several times since med school. (Disclaimer for anyone nervous: no, he does not have ALS -- he was sharing the paranoia). He mentioned how he would sit and stare at his hand as his thumb visibly twitched.

I came home feeling much reassured, but within an hour of returning to work I felt something in my right thumb. For the next hour, my right thumb visibly twitched on and off. This was my first thumb twitch and my first visible twitch EVER. I was vastly amused as I watched it, but it has never happened to me again.

One of my pet theories about BFS is that we may be more suggestible than the average person. I found out in a mass demonstration way back in university that I seem to be easily hypnotized, which is generally thought to be correlated with being highly suggestible. I'm still curious if anyone here knows whether or not they can be easily hypnotized -- I know there has been at least one post from someone who had some success with hypnosisto treat their symptoms.
maudlin
Interested
Interested

Postby speg on August 5th, 2004, 9:14 am

Well, I think my hand twitch may have been triggered by the fact I read somewhere on this site that atrophy can start in the web space between the thumb and the pointer finger! (I don't visit ALS sites.) I was staring at my web space, noticed my pulse in both thumbs, and then decided it was no big deal. About an hour later, the muscle that joins the thumb and the pointer finger began to twitch BIG TIME. It has not let up in 24 hours! This is my worst twitch yet.

I wonder if it is close enough to my thumb to be classified as benign.
speg
Hero
Hero

ha ha ha

Postby graberc on August 6th, 2004, 10:53 am

SO i'm in with my First Neuro . . .and I'm complaning about the fascilations.

he says he sees no evidence of anything wrong. . .so finally I point to the palm of my hand which, to me, looked like a little fascilation.

He started at it a second, then looked back at me and said "that is your pulse".
graberc

Postby Stephanie on August 7th, 2004, 6:09 pm

My great-uncle had total left hand weakness and severe atrophy in the web space between thumb and forefinger. He never went to the Dr, but he regained function in his hand although the atrophy is still noticable. That was 18 years ago so you can see that even people with definite als symptoms don't always have als. Hope that makes you feel better. If that happened to me like my great-uncle I would freak knowing what I know now!
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby CheckRaise on August 9th, 2004, 12:47 am

Power of Suggestion.. Hilarious.. I think the same thing

I was reading about someone having a twitch in their tongue. I kind of snickered thinking that would be a weird feeling, cause I never had it. I am not kidding.. SECONDS after reading about it my tongue started to twitch, and now does all the time.

Another strange thing: One of my hotspots is my left upper eye lid. It twitches all the time. I can even make it twitch on demand by closing my eye tight and reopening it quickly. However, if I look in a mirror to see the twitches, it will never twitch. HUH?
:roll:
CheckRaise

Postby Stephanie on August 9th, 2004, 9:03 pm

I didn't get tongue twitches until I heard they may be a "bad sign". Then I suddenly got them all the time! Now I know better and they mysteriously went away.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Postby eleven on September 28th, 2004, 11:29 am

yes. you can mistake your pulse for a twitch. i did that a lot when i first started twitching. you can become so tuned-in to your body and all of its sensations that your pulse suddenly seems bounding. everyone has pulsing arteries throughout their bodies - everywhere. (side note: veins do not have a pulse) and yes, a cardiologist told me that lots of people can SEE their arteries pulsing through the skin, especially thin people.

one sure way to check if it's a pulse or a twitch is to simply time it with your carotid artery (located in your neck). if it is in sync, i am betting it's your pulse. also, hold your breath and if the twitch/pulse delays for a second, then it is also most likely your pulse. :wink:
The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow -William Blake
eleven

Postby Stephanie on September 28th, 2004, 9:06 pm

There are even doctors that mistake pulses for twitches. My neuro told me some examples.
Stephanie
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS