2 years yesterday - progress report

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

2 years yesterday - progress report

Postby dwl on July 16th, 2004, 12:08 am

I guess that 2 years of twitching almost makes me an old-timer here!

Well, 2 years ago yesterday I started twitching in my upper lip. Over the next few weeks it spread everywhere. I googled my symptoms and of course my life fell apart and I was convinced I had als. I saw a neuro who examined me & said that he didn't think it was als but offered an emg for reassurance - it was normal. I believed it for about a week then started worrying again.

I started to get other symptoms - muscle pains, cramping, perceived weakness of my right hand & left leg, my tongue didn't feel right, my swallowing felt strange, I started to notice "atrophy" in my hand muscles.

Neuro #2 agreed with neuro #1 and a second emg at 1 year was normal. I started to relax a bit, but still have irrational moments when I get a bit worried again.

At the moment I have odd twitches pretty much everywhere, every couple of minutes. The most annoying thing is twitching of my tongue for the last 6 months - it twitches in the same place every few minutes and almost gets pulled to one side when it happens. There are also lots of little "flickers" throughout my tongue from time to time.

It's all very annoying but it doesn't rule my life any more. I've realised what is important to me in this life and what isn't. Baby #2 is on the way in November and I like to think he or she will have a dad for a long time to come!

So - believe your neuro, keep away from scary als boards, ignore anecdotal and unsubstantiated medical claims and stick to reliable verifiable sources for your information.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me with their posts over these two years.

David
dwl
Hero
Hero

Postby jcavan4125 on July 16th, 2004, 1:10 pm

Hi David,

Congratulations on 2 years and on baby #2!!!
Joe... "That which does not kill us makes us stronger"! - Nietzsche
jcavan4125
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby garym on July 16th, 2004, 2:10 pm

David,

Great news about baby # 2! Congrats! And wouldn't you know it, you're still here and walking after two years.

You're an inspiration :D .

Gary
garym

Postby Ginlyn on July 17th, 2004, 1:17 am

David,

You are a reassurance to us all.

Funny, my twitching began just like yours. Upper lip, then on with the show!

Here's to a healthy and happy baby!

Ginny
Ginlyn
Saint
Saint

Thanks

Postby Jayel on July 17th, 2004, 10:32 am

David-

Your posts have helped me a great deal over the past 7 months. I am happy to see your "smile" through your message and to know that your outlook remains positive, as it should! Best wishes to you and your family. Remember sleep depravation may increase your symptoms, so you may get a pass on nighttime feeding assistance--NOT!!! :lol:

In all seriousness, the best to you and your growing young family!

God bless,
Jayel
Jayel
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Thanks

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS