Doctor doesn't want to give me valium anymore--frustrated!!

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Doctor doesn't want to give me valium anymore--frustrated!!

Postby lrt6131 on October 11th, 2013, 5:29 pm

So, I have had twitching since Sept 5th. After my neurology visit 2 days ago, he reassured me that my tests conclude BFS related to stress/tension/anxiety. He suggested a longer acting benzo like Klonopin, instead of the usual valium I have been taking which has given me 80% fewer twitches especially decreasing this past week. I only take 2mg twice a day, about 12 hrs apart, which I don't think is very much. He wanted me to get this from my primary doctor who is telling me that he doesn't want to give me Klonopin, states he can't keep me on benzos long term, & wants me to start Lexapro. I just don't want to start an anti-depressant. I would much prefer taking something that I know works for me, & I only take it when I truly need it. I feel so trapped. It is so frustrating when you know what works for you!
lrt6131

Re: Doctor doesn't want to give me valium anymore--frustrate

Postby aztwitchy on October 11th, 2013, 7:07 pm

lrt6131 wrote:So, I have had twitching since Sept 5th. After my neurology visit 2 days ago, he reassured me that my tests conclude BFS related to stress/tension/anxiety. He suggested a longer acting benzo like Klonopin, instead of the usual valium I have been taking which has given me 80% fewer twitches especially decreasing this past week. I only take 2mg twice a day, about 12 hrs apart, which I don't think is very much. He wanted me to get this from my primary doctor who is telling me that he doesn't want to give me Klonopin, states he can't keep me on benzos long term, & wants me to start Lexapro. I just don't want to start an anti-depressant. I would much prefer taking something that I know works for me, & I only take it when I truly need it. I feel so trapped. It is so frustrating when you know what works for you!

my personal experience was SSRI meds like lexapro made things 100 times worse for me....I would advise everyone to tread with caution on those....do a test to see what your serotonin levels are before you start a med like that or you could be asking for trouble.

don't quit any benzo cold turkey...it is dangerous for a doctor to put you into a position where you would have to stop cold turkey...at a minimum they should work to wean you off of benzo drugs. I would take serious issue with my primary or neuro if they put me in that position.

hope you get a plan worked out.
"Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity." ~World Health Organization, 1948
aztwitchy
Hero
Hero

Re: Doctor doesn't want to give me valium anymore--frustrate

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS