BFS & Peripheral Neuropathy

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

BFS & Peripheral Neuropathy

Postby BobDownSouth on September 17th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Hello from Bob Down South!
I last posted about three weeks ago. Since then my feet got worse with tingling & hands started to tingle and have pins and needles pain sensations at times. All symptoms come and go. Last November I saw a foot doctor about possible blisters and burning sensations in my feet. She said I had a form of peripheral neuropathy, no blisters. In the last week the buzzy feeling in my left hand has changed to heightened sensation to touch with tingling mixed in. Now both hands and both feet seem affected. Of course, I'm still twitching all over. I have no loss of motor function but I'm told peripheral neuropathy can be serious. I had blood tests last December maybe a month after the initial diagnosis by the foot doctor who said she sees neuropathy issues almost every day.

I'm going to start with my GP doctor but I wanted to ask if any of you had run into a relationship between BFS (I have been a twicher for over two years) and forms of peripheral neuropathy.

Thanks!
Bob
BobDownSouth
Interested
Interested

Re: BFS & Peripheral Neuropathy

Postby Fasci on September 18th, 2013, 7:48 am

I twitched for almost a year before I started to get the pins and needles in my hands and forearms earlier this year. This quickly turned into a burning (sunburn-like) feeling in my hands, arms, abdomen and chest which convinced me to see a neuro for the first time. I was freaking out leading up to my appt. due to all of my googling of symptoms. I had an EMG and nerve study which all showed up as normal. I was dx'd with BFS and have been doing ok since then (that was 3 months ago). I still have twitches and the weird sensations, but not as intense nor as often. The hardest part is when a new sensation pops up for the first time. I naturally want to google it, but I try to accept that this is BFS and move on.

Stay positive.

Hope this helps.
Fasci

Postby shell67 on September 19th, 2013, 8:38 am

Hi, Bob,

My neuro told me I don't have neuropathy, but I have constant slightly numb and/or tingly sensations in legs and arms -- it was really bad in May, and I was tested for MS, which they ruled out. Also had EMG, which ruled out peripheral nerve damage. No doctor has been able to figure out what's causing my issues, as there doesn't seem to be a pinched nerve in my neck, either (they did a cervical spine MRI). My neuro also told me that 9 out of 10 patients she sees have these weird sensations that never get explained! She also tingles on her left side for no reason. What I find disconcerting is that these weird nerve sensations make my arm/leg "feel" weak -- yet I can do everything I need to do. But that's what gets me freaked out! Do you know what I mean? I have to keep reminding myself that perceived weakness is not the same as "real" weakness. And my GP told me a long time ago that you can rule out ALS when you have any kind of sensory symptoms.

I hope you start to feel better soon!

M
shell67

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to Experiences with BFS