Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby Amylou29 on September 19th, 2013, 12:43 am

Mine are my thighs and it worries me as I don't think it's a popular place for bfs, most people seem to say their calves
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby emmie.s on September 19th, 2013, 3:33 am

Amylou location really doesn't matter when it comes to hotspots. The second time I dealt with BFS (i had it in 2006 and it went away) my thigh was a hotspot. Dont be surprised when next month its someplace new. As for the muscle fatigue and cramps, I too suffered from cramp-like feelings all over my legs. You'll find that so many of us share your exact same symptoms, and its all benign.
Take care, deal with your anxiety and stay away from other sites and doctor Google.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby shell67 on September 19th, 2013, 8:30 am

Amylou,

I asked two different neuros about types of fasciculations, location, etc. (I'm fortunate enough to have an old pal who's a practicing neuro in Westchester, who I pepper with questions on occasion). I was concerned as to whether one type was more sinister than another, as I seem to have one persistent twitch in my left arm that vibrates constantly and has been on-going for weeks. I asked both of them:

"Should I be concerned if one vibrates constantly?"
"No."
"Should I be concerned if it seems primarily isolated to one limb?"
"No."
"Should I be concerned if it goes on for months?"
"No."

Both said that twitches without muscle weakness/wasting mean nothing. And that means real weakness -- not aching, tired, weak feelings. I've had all kinds of symptoms -- numb feelings in all limbs, achiness in all limbs -- I even felt like I was having trouble walking the other day because the weird nerve sensation in my left leg made my foot feel awkward. If I didn't *know* in my heart that all of these symptoms mean nothing -- and are probably a direct result of my anxiety -- I'd go crazy. But in spite of all these crazy symptoms, both neuros have assured me numerous times that I don't have to worry about ALS. And neither do you!

M
shell67

Postby Amylou29 on September 19th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Thanks both for all of your help and advice, I really do appreciate it. I've had the twitching all over but thighs especially sine June and they're still going strong. I'm learning that it's ok to have all of these different thing going on, thanks again
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Englishtwitcher on September 19th, 2013, 4:48 pm

My left thigh and knee twitch more than anywhere else at the moment and that gives me lots of anxiety. It sounds weird but when the right leg twitches it actually makes me happy since it makes me feel more "normal"!!!

I have twitches in the oddest places, including my abdomen, shoulders, foot arches, lips and arms. I think as long as you can still do everything as normal you are fine - that's what I tell myself. I must look so strange sometimes as I hope onto my heels and walk around on them in the local supermarket aisle. My husband gets really embarrassed!!
Englishtwitcher
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Aviationrocks1 on September 20th, 2013, 11:04 am

I had all those bood tests done...completely normal. Still BFS (although I still have unrealistic worries at times). I just read the start to your thread and you basically told my story. You're going to be just fine :)
Aviationrocks1

Postby Amylou29 on September 20th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Thank you everyone, you're all such kind helpful people x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 21st, 2013, 9:42 am

Does any one else have pain like they've been for a run the day before but haven't done any exercise in there upper legs ( thighs ) would just like to know I'm not alone on this one x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby emmie.s on September 22nd, 2013, 8:05 am

Dear we ALL get those sorts of pains everywhere, not just with BFS but I think in general. Sometimes I feel achy in my calves although I did no exercise, other days I can work out hard and surprisingly not be sore the next day. I'm certain you've experienced it before the twitching began but now you're hyper vigilant about your body so you notice things more.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Postby marvan on September 22nd, 2013, 8:42 am

I do, but I feel like the unexplained soreness feels a bit different than the normal soreness from exercise. Exercise soreness is more symetrical and usually follows a typical schedule (I.e more sore the next day and fades over the following day or two) and I went through a bout of what I would call bfs soreness in my right calve this week. I also have sore thighs, but that is due to running and follows the more typical pattern.
marvan

Postby Amylou29 on September 22nd, 2013, 10:24 am

I've been having fasciculations since June and have had sore leg muscles for the last 6weeks or so, i just want to know this is bfs and not some thing else, the soreness doesn't seem to ease off x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 22nd, 2013, 3:25 pm

Another question, some times when my thighs are twitching and I shake or move them the twitching carries on, is this ok?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby RGB on September 22nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

I guess this question stems from the 'internet-wisdom' that benign twitches disappear when the muscle is used. All I can say is that neither of the two consultants I met with had any interest in this, for them it had no diagnostic value at all. I prefer to believe the experts rather than some random person on the internet (apart from a random person on the internet called 'RGB' who is a genius and never wrong :) ).

Mine sometimes disappear, sometime don't. Others will soon be along with exactly the same experience.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 23rd, 2013, 12:34 am

Thanks for your reply RGB, it made me laugh. Can you shed any light on the sore muscle situation?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Aviationrocks1 on September 23rd, 2013, 10:34 am

Neuro #1 told me that fasiculations while using a muscle are just as likely to occur as when not using muscle. Neuro #2 told me that he understands where people get that idea (the internet) but for him, it does not matter. I'm with you on the soreness. Just part of the deal it seems. My calves will be sore for no reason at all, although since I've been running for months, that seems to be getting better. I will also get sore in my hands, wrists and forearms. And if I sit and think about it, it's not a lot of pain and if I wasn't so in tune with all this stuff (so hyper-aware) I probably wouldn't think twice about it. So, this could be completely normal even outside of BFS, although I'm convinced that BFS does play into this. Either way, par for the course. Easier said than done, but try not to worry/ think about it.

Cheers,

Michael
Aviationrocks1

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS