Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby Protoolsnerd on September 8th, 2013, 5:13 pm

One more little tidbit of info for your. BFS has actually 2 forms . Regular BFS and BFCS which is Benign Fasciculation Cramping Syndrome. Some people get cramping with their BFS and some don't. I do , randomly , but generally just my calves. Other people have had very different experiences that run the gamut , all dif parts of the body , face , all that good stuff. I've been where you are , scared and unsure. It'll be ok, just look at some of the long time twitchers that are fine to this day. Some still twitch some don't . But we're all still here
Protoolsnerd
Interested
Interested

Postby Cobber on September 8th, 2013, 9:26 pm

Just to clarify a point someone mentioned earlier. I think you can twitch constantly in one spot with BFS as well and it doesn't have to be anything too sinister. I'm 7 months into constant left leg twitching all day and night for 7 months (mainly calf and toe twitching). It goes from 20+ twitches per minute to 100+ after I do sport or I'm on my feet a lot. I get slight pain too in the feet and calf after sport. My left calf/ankle is significantly smaller then my right and my left toes cannot raise off the ground (they can push down fine). The diagnosis for me from neuro after testing (MRI's EMG's)is lumbar problems (and I have no back pain, but I did have sciatica 15 yrs ago!! yes 15, not typo) and damaged nerves on my left side. They think I'm fine and I feel fine as well ........as hard as it is I would not read too much into constant localized twitching however for peace of mind it can make good sense to get a diagnosis.
Cobber

Postby Amylou29 on September 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Thanks all for your replies, you're all so helpful. So just to clarify, the stiff/ sore thighs is consistent with bfs? Even after just walking around at work I feel like I've run the marathon the next day. I'm also having a wired pain in my left arm and hand, no weakness, just mild pain, bfs? Thanks all x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Protoolsnerd on September 9th, 2013, 2:11 pm

Yup yup, all very common with BFS and BFCS. hence the addition of the cramping . I like to refer to the feeling as jelly legs or jelly arms. I think it's because of the muscle being fatigued from all the twitching . Just like if you had done a repetitive motion. Nothing you've described sounds out of the norm for BFS. I know it can be scary, we all know how scary it can be. I still deal with the anxiety issues linked with BFS. They are fewer and farther between now, but i still twitch.
Protoolsnerd
Interested
Interested

Postby Amylou29 on September 12th, 2013, 8:51 am

Hi, I'm back again! So, I have this weird feeling of half cramping half stiffness in my right thigh, very sore, normal bfs? Is als a painless disease? Is there any thing that can ease the stiffness/ cramping? I've tried deep heat but it didn't work, thanks all x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 13th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I'm freaking out again, my legs are so stiff and they keep cramping, it's never in my calves always in thighs, I'm so worried about als, I had a clear brain MRI last week but I don't think als shows up on that. I keep getting the pain in my left arm and nearly dropped a cup today, I'm really stressed about this. All I've read is als symptoms are fasciculations, muscle stiffness and cramps. Sorry to put all this I'm just not sure where else to turn and every one has been so helpful here, thank you
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 17th, 2013, 3:53 am

I'm guessing from the lack of responses this isn't such a good thing?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 17th, 2013, 4:15 am

Amy, probably nobody respond because it is completely common.
it is common to have cramps (i do have them right now, light ones, in my hands and legs), common to have pains, and we often are dropping things just because it happens. we are even stumbling and falling (I do becasue I have hypermobile ankles and this year I did a bad pirouette right on my own house doorway...). Everybody do that. Should you can not hold a cup or lift it no matter of effort, that should be worrysome, not that you nearly dropped it becasue of rapid pain which could be casued by thousand things. Weakness is like your fingers just refuse to obey and do not have nothing common with you anymore, not like they are crampy, stiff,numb, tingling or etc.

I am really sure you do not have ALS but I have to remind oyu that one of probably undoubtful features of ALS is that this is so called ascending paralysis at which a person never can have tighs impaiment before having foot paralisis, sane for upper libms - first fingers, thenm rest of the hand, but never first shoulder, then fingers.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on September 18th, 2013, 7:21 am

Thank you so much for replying to me, so am I right in thinking bfs can cause muscle aches and pains can be caused from just bfs rather than the exercise intolerence? My legs are so stiff, thanks again x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on September 18th, 2013, 8:05 am

BFS involves excercise intolerance too. so you can have both tired muscles due to twitches and easily tired muscles in general.

right now my left hand aches in the shoulder joint, my upper back is wobby and my hands are clumsy because ambient temperature is below 25 C which causes my hands to cramp and overall I feell chilly (very easily, my mom is used to call me 'a weakest piglet'). it is all BFS becasue I have that for few years already and still can do my job and even a bit more ;)))
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on September 18th, 2013, 2:06 pm

So why does bfs make your muscles so stiff and sore? Even places where I'm not twitching ache.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 18th, 2013, 2:10 pm

So why does bfs make your muscles so stiff and sore? Even places where I'm not twitching ache. I've read that with als a favourite spot to twitch are the thighs, this does scare me as that's where I seem to twitch constantly. Do you have twitches all the time too and can they be in the same places every day and night? Thank you
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on September 18th, 2013, 2:11 pm

So why does bfs make your muscles so stiff and sore? Even places where I'm not twitching ache. I've read that with als a favourite spot to twitch are the thighs, this does scare me as that's where I seem to twitch constantly. Do you have twitches all the time too and can they be in the same places every day and night? Thank you
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Tasnim on September 18th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I've been twitching and cramping for a few years now, but stiffness and sore muscles (almost only in my legs, some days I can't even walk without support) started only last year. Don't know why, but for me I get super sore the days following a "flare" where my legs twitch like crazy, or a few days after exercise if I did too much. I'm learning it's normal for bfs though.
Tasnim
Interested
Interested

Postby Tasnim on September 18th, 2013, 2:28 pm

My constant twitching areas are toes, arches of my feet and my calves. But I have them all over occasionally, but these areas are most affected.
Tasnim
Interested
Interested

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS