Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby RGB on December 9th, 2013, 8:40 pm

Amylou29 wrote:. I know that bfs can cause muscle soreness/stiffness and I've had this again now for 5 days, I'm just wondering if it's 'normal' to have it for this long. I didn't sleep well last night

Not that Yuliasir isn't doing a great job but I would add that tired/anxious people have been known to suffer from sore muscles, even entirely healthy people over the age of 21! My only point is not to be too keen to see everything as a worrying neuromuscular symptom, it may just be 'you for now' which is annoying but of no long term concern.

RGB
My history....Jan '13: Widespread Twitches. May 13': Unremarkable Neuro Exam. Jul '13: Clean EMG. Oct '13: BFS Diagnosis Today's Date: Twitching and Healthy!
RGB
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on December 10th, 2013, 1:39 pm

Nope, no relief, they're still sore. Do you suffer this complaint too?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby dARR on December 11th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Hi Amy,
Just to say again that I have twitched constantly 24/7 (1000s of times per hour all over my legs) for nearly 4 years now. It has never stopped, ever, even for a minute.

I get sore calves and thighs sometimes too.
Really nothing to worry about and like RGB said it is important not to see everything as a worrying symptom!

Hope this finds you well,
Darragh
He who fights with Monsters might take care lest he thereby become a Monster and if you gaze long into the Abyss the Abyss also gazes into you. Fredrich Nietzche, Beyond Good and Evil
dARR
Hero
Hero

Postby shell67 on December 11th, 2013, 6:46 pm

Amy,

My achiness comes and goes. As long as I can walk every day, do yoga, and take care of my three very active boys, then I don't let it get me down. I know it will pass in time. And the same goes for you. Hang in there.

Blessings,

Michele
shell67

Postby Amylou29 on December 12th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Thanks guys, you're all amazing! Xxxxx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on December 14th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Does anyone get spasms in there knee? My left knee twitches lots and now I'm getting pain in it. Also, does any one else have neck and facial twitches? Xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby veryworried123 on December 14th, 2013, 5:47 pm

good post

whats the defination of hyperreflexia?

sometimes i feel like when someone touches my leg or something i flinch or am quick to jerk? is this weird / normal?

also whats this ive been reading about people twiching in their tounge and then having a nero fell their thighs feel that they are twichting and then say they might have als?

wow

thanks
veryworried123
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on December 15th, 2013, 6:38 am

veryworried,
hyperreflexia is an extra powerful response on a stimul. usually when doctor strikes you with a little mallet in a knee, a leg just jerks more or less. If it rahter jumpes, it is hyperreflexia in a simplest explanation.
many fellows here experience it, becasue alone (without sumultaneous loss of certain other reflexes or without pathological reflexes joined) it just tells about central brain hyperecxitation most probably caused by anxiety.

if you feel that somebody touches you while nobody is doing that , and if you also feel hot and cold patches, burning, pins and needles, goosebomps, crawling bags, feeling of raindrops or water running down the skin, wet patches etc. - it is sensory neuropaty, it has two reasons - local damage of so called thin nerves (burning pain, temperature sensing failure etc.) or shuffled sensoric zones in your central brain, when either foregin stumuli are precepted as tactile due to overlapping of related zones in the brain, or existing tactile signals are become more awailable for the processing part of the brain, or because the treshold of sensing is lowered.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on December 15th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Yulliar, is that the same as brisk reflexes? Did you see my question about knee cramping and facial/throat twitches? Xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on December 15th, 2013, 2:55 pm

yes, mostly the same, 'hyperreflexia' is just the scientific word for it.
what I can say you about cramping knee and fasciak or throat fascics? Sometimes I have cramps in knees and ankles. last year I had to buy low hills shoes and quit high heels becasue anlke cramps frightened me as a hell. This winter I bought high heels boots again :))) so they did not make me an invalid, neither will yours do you for sure. I also had an experience of neck twitches - not pleasant but again harmless. I still take my vocal lessons and my signing had improved a lot, which probably would not possible shouldn't I be physically fit in my neck and throat musculature...

A common mistake many new BFSer fall into is to consider every new cramp or twitch, or every new pattern as a threat or evolution or progression of innocent condition into sisnster one. Based on my experience and on experience of many fellows here I can say that BFS in fact has numerous but still limited manifestations. main are: sensory issues (cold/hot patches, skin burning, bugs, touching, wet senstation etc.), twitching (buzzing, worm-like feeling. pulling. bussing. moved fingers, jerks, ratcheting), discrete muscle pain, excersise intolerance, perceived weakness, crapms, neuritis like sympromes (stabbing pain, ulnar/carpal like symptomes, numbness, night numbness), rheumatoid-like symptomes (pains and even swelling of joints, morning stifness), uncertain symptomes like increased joint clicking. That is from the part of neuromuscular system. many of us also have clear stress disorder, acute or chronic obsessive or anxiety disorder, 'hypochondria' or health anxiety. Another important part of symptomes are gut related (from leaky gut to GERD, the last casuing coughing, husky voice and espophagal spasms often taken for bulbar symptomes) and symptomes of certain dysautonimia (wet/dry mouth, frequent urination, dizziness, heart palipations etc.) We also complain for hyperventilation issues (inclreased central sleep apnea episodes, very ehxausitng and even casuing some of fellows use CPAP masks, also feeling of numbness in face, toes and finers, cold fingers, lack of breath, exhausing yawning etc.), but this is anxiety related and usually goes away as anxiety level drops down. Sleep disorders , including episodes of sleep paralysis and hypnagogic hallucinations are very common.Ah, plus skin issues - itching. urticaria, neuraangioedema (alo stress related and autoimmune condition)

big list but this is almost all. you may not expect that you would have, for example, bloody vomiting, or extensive dry cough with light fever, like in TB, or fangs would never grow from your fingers like in Xman :))) so, you may expect a full size circus show with the above list of symptomes and I must confess I had most of them except maybe sensory issues are rather rare for me (however I had also a few of them, some very funny). None of them disabled neither me, nor nobody here, neither will it disable you as I said above. Just try to encompass the idea that you are not dying ( I man right now becasue in general meaning we all are dying more or less) but just sick, most probably from stress and natural predisposition to that way of surviving it, and have high level of health anxiety turning every slight or moderate symptome into big one. Your mind palys a bit of tricky game with you (and with me and with other fellows), but you are not alone.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on December 16th, 2013, 5:19 am

Thank you yuliasir,that helps a lot.what does subtle pain mean?my stiffness is all day most days not just mornings, is this typical for bfs? X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Amylou29 on December 16th, 2013, 5:19 am

Thank you yuliasir,that helps a lot.what does subtle pain mean?my stiffness is all day most days not just mornings, is this typical for bfs? X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on December 16th, 2013, 5:51 am

sorry English is not my native language :))) I meant probably that the pain is not sharp or debilitating and it is often hard to estimate WHERE EXACTLY you have the pain, it is a bit uncertain general feeling of being in pain.
However for muscle pains often the most painful are points where muscles are attacjed to big joints.

all day stiffness is also within the range of presentation. I mean that typical rheumatoid or tunnel syndrom picture includes predominantly morning stiffnes, which then goes a bit easier during a day (especially in case of tunnel trauma) but we can have feeling clumsy and stif for the whole day too, No problem :) main difference is that usually people with RA or tunnel syndrom also experience significant pain and signs of paresis in case of tunnel syndrome (my sister in law can not operate her fingers last year when she had a TS attack, and she was in real pain, this year she is abdolutely OK after several month of treatment).
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on December 20th, 2013, 4:13 am

Hi all, I would like some honest advice from you please. I started twitching in June, in my thighs and calves mainly, it was constant. A couple of months ago I started to twitch all over but mainly in my legs still, I then got stiffness and soreness in both thighs, left one slightly more so. I've been to my GP and he said he was quite sore I had benign fasiculations and that I could have a second opinion but he didn't think I needed one, I wanted to trust and believe him. My mum is a nurse and works with a neuro physiotherapist, she was very kind and gave me a physical examination, the only thing she found was slightly brisk reflexes in my left knee, she could have referred me to a neurologist but didn't. She said if she was me she would go to my GP and ask to be referred to a neurologist put my mind at rest. That was 6 weeks ago, I'm still twitching and my legs are sore and stiff daily especially the more I do, I don't know weather or not to make another appointment with my GP, I've been having slight cramps too. This is driving me mad, I want to know it is bfs but I want to trust what the professionals have told me. Any advice/ experiences would be a huge help. Xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby emmie.s on December 20th, 2013, 5:00 am

I would say that it would give you great peice of mind to write down all of your questions and concerns, and visit a neurologist to get answers. I don't think you need to go as it sounds like classic bfs, but nonetheless I think you ought to so that you can put your mind at ease with the advice of a professional.
emmie.s
Hero
Hero

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS