Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby Yuliasir on November 21st, 2013, 1:49 am

That rule is great, I wonder how accurate it is?

Pretty correct, as Johhny said.
This rule is based not only on the real experience of thousands of ALS victims, but also has clear physical grounds.
What had happen in ALS is well known (except the root cause): it involves destruction of central motor neurons and anterior horns in the spine. Both processes lead to inability to use muscles as much as you can not lit the light in your room if the wire in the wall was biten by the rat. No contact - no movement - clinical weakness - FAILURE to do something.

In our case we practically do not know what has happening really. But taking light bulb analogy, it might be voltage a bit low (tiredness), or probably you did not wipe your bulb for 10 years and the light is a bit dim (long term stress), or maybe you got some medical drops in your eyes and cannot see the bulb properly (certain changes in the brain preception, also suggested as part of our syndrome) - but the bulb itself is working and current runs from the switch ot the bulb. That is FEELING of weakness, not failing. and that is why the rule is pretty solid.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 27th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Hi, I'm back with yet another question. I've been thinking about what you've all said and it really has helped ALOT! I would just like to ask, when I first started twitching it was just the twitching, but as I've said over the last few months I've been having sore thighs etc, how come that's come later? Is that a normal pattern for bfs? Thanks xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 27th, 2013, 1:05 pm

well, if we will think about what is tqitches, we can see that this is a kind of involuntary workout (actually many wondebelts sold in the TV stores are based on that prinicple - they stimulate your muscles to twitch by e-shocks) so no wonder after certain period of that activity you start to have soreness casued by well known lactic acid effect. Same as after any workout.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 27th, 2013, 1:32 pm

But my calves aren't sore or my eye when that twitches, but thinking about it my thigh twitches are pretty constant where the others seem to come and go, it's comforting to know others have it too xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Anxious guy on November 27th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Prob because you thigh is more sensitive to it or just because your calves are used to it?
My tricep feels achey but only the type of ache that's there if I think about it too much ... It's been twitching on and off for over a month now..
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Yuliasir on November 27th, 2013, 1:57 pm

it depends on my point of view on the overall sige of muscles, on the circulatory conditions and intensity of twitches. I had that soreness only in buks muscles like bicep or tigh (once), and twitches were rather pulling. hardly I can imagine lactate irritation in eyelid muscle... probably becasue it is relatively thin and easily gives all lactic acid away...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 27th, 2013, 2:08 pm

I'm just going to ask this as it's what I'm worrying about. I am on my feet every day but have been for years, I have a dog that I walk, again, for years, I read on lots of websites that I know I shouldn't of looked on but too late I have, that sore muscles are a symptom of early als along with twitching. I'm struggling to understand how 2 completely different illnesses can cause the same symptoms? Xx
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 27th, 2013, 3:50 pm

I'm struggling to understand how 2 completely different illnesses can cause the same symptoms?

Really? How it could be that flu and allergy causes running nose, how it could be that people cough due to GERD, pneumonia and TB? Symptomes itself mean nothing. It is clearly demonstrated for example in House MD show - that is why differential diagnosis exists.
look, all symptomes and signs are divided in two major groups - non-specific and specific for certain disease. Moreover, specific symptomes need to be combined, like stars in constellation, in order to make so called clinical picture, clear as stars in the sky.
For ALS specific signs are well known - clinical weakness and changes in reflexes plus changes on EMG. They HAVE to be combined, have development pattern in order to reflect specific denervation process, like Moon phases reveals true spheric form of Earth. Clinical weakness itself exists in local neuronal trauma, in Stroke etc. Reflex changes may indicate brain ishemia due to mini-stroke. And finally EMG changes might also reflect some other processes (traumas for example). And only combination of all three symptomes make diagnosis of ALS, not of local trauma or brain damage.

Signs like pain in the muscles or twitches are non-specific, they just indicate hyperexcitability without pointing to its reason.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on November 27th, 2013, 3:53 pm

Very well explained Yuliasir !! :-)
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Amylou29 on December 1st, 2013, 7:48 am

Thank you yuliasir, you explain things in a way I can understand. I know that bfs can cause muscle soreness/stiffness and I've had this again now for 5 days, I'm just wondering if it's 'normal' to have it for this long. I didn't sleep well last night and I noticed how much I twitch throughout the night, does any one else experience this? Thank you x
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on December 1st, 2013, 9:37 am

I only can tell you that I have sudden muscle pains episodes in which practically sometimes I can not move without a strong word for several days :( Pains start suddenly and leave gradually so I suppose it is kind of fybromyalgia or so...
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on December 1st, 2013, 10:30 am

Mine are soreness like I've been for a run ( but I haven't) do yours last for several days too? X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Anxious guy on December 1st, 2013, 10:44 am

My tricep is constant every few seconds and now after a month of twitching solid with only a week break I between its got achey and kinda sore for the past day or so..
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby Amylou29 on December 1st, 2013, 11:54 am

Do you twitch through the night too? Both if my legs are non stop and have been for nearly 7 months!
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby shell67 on December 9th, 2013, 9:51 am

Amy,

Just curious -- have you found any relief for your sore thighs?

Michele
shell67

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS