Constant twitching

This forum is for posting your personal experiences with BFS: symptoms, doctor visits, fears, etc.

Please use this forum to post give and recieve encoragement and reassurance from sharing the trials and triumphs you have faced.

Moderators: JohnV, Arron, garym

Re: Constant twitching

Postby Yuliasir on November 20th, 2013, 4:32 am

nope, usually mine for example twitch in respond on exertion, and at the same time moving a muscle helps to reduce twitching.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 20th, 2013, 5:04 am

Mine don't stop when I move my limbed etc, I'm twitching all the time weather I've exercised or not, in the day and at night.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 20th, 2013, 5:15 am

that is what called hotspot. Did not have them for long time but some fellows know better about them.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 20th, 2013, 5:20 am

I have odd twitching here and there but have has non stop twitching in the same place of my thighs for nearly 6 months, is this ok?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 20th, 2013, 6:37 am

Amylou,
the answer seems very simple for me:
if you are physically fit and still can use your body as you did it before, and if any clinical inspection or test does not reveal anything suspicious - it is OK meaning it is not ALS or other MND.

and it is NOT OK becasue it affects your spiritual part. It definitely does not harm your body, but it ruins your soul, your mental fintess and generally much of your life. So here is your enemy number 1 :) As for me of course. My idea is that people in whom fear and health preoccupation dominates in their BFS picture (not all BFSers are so upset and obsessed, however wast majority are of course), strongly benefit ususally from concentrating on fears as main trouble and life quality deteriorating factor, not on twitches. usually after certain active work on fears twitches subside to minimal level - it had happened to me, to Chrissi, to Johnnythejet, to SuzyQ, add here anybody who comes once per year to say 'hi another twitching year over' etc.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 20th, 2013, 12:01 pm

Well I've had blood work and a ct and MRI of the brain, they were normal, but as far as I know mnd wouldn't show up on any of these any way. Yes I can still do anything I did before but I know ache and have stiffness, I also have a weak feeling in my left arm but can still use it, it just hurts? X
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 20th, 2013, 12:24 pm

yes, regular bloodwork and static MRI does not show typical patterns for anxiety disorders (one need fMRi maybe to see if there is a shortcut to amygdala causing us to react over emotionlly) but fortunately there are clear behavioral signs and physiological symptomes (mostly from autonomous system and sensory nerves) to indicate stress and anxiety.

You may use one good rule of thumb developed by ALS sufferes (as far as I know) to describe their status: FAILING NOT FEELING. If you feel your hand is weak (as I do right now for example), do simple test for fine motorics - try to pick up small object, turn a page in the book etc. Perceived weakness usually does not prevent us from those elaborate and finely tuned actions (however we think they are simple), but clinically weak fingers would simply not be able to do that.

Clinically weak foot drops. Clenically weak upper leg cannot support the body. You should not jump or walk in sitting postion or walk miles on your tiptoes - just try to stand up on your toes for a second. Doing that? you are fine/ Can put your weight on heels? Fine. That is all. Fail to do this and this failure is constant - well, it is worth to go to doctor.
That is all, Amylou.

My hands FEEL weak becasue I am badly sencitive to cold and becasue I am working with them 12 hours a day. but I can pick up small things so I know their vessels are just spasmed due to cold and they ARE really ice cold right now (bad circualtion I think).

So please use this rule of thumb, never do exhausting selftests (becasue abnormalities are so that they revela at simplest and easiest actions) and look for fears treatment, and I am sure you would feel much better.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 20th, 2013, 12:34 pm

I think sometimes I fixate on things rather than ignore them like others do. Thank you very much for your advice yursilar, I really do appreciate it.
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby Yuliasir on November 20th, 2013, 12:35 pm

ah we all are fixated on our bosies, that is why we here :)) would be really glad if Failing not feeling rule would help you as it helps me and others here.
Yuliasir
Saint
Saint

Postby Amylou29 on November 20th, 2013, 1:42 pm

That rule is great, I wonder how accurate it is?
Amylou29
Selfless giver of time
Selfless giver of time

Postby johnnythejet on November 20th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Amylou29 wrote:That rule is great, I wonder how accurate it is?

That rule is very accurate. Not only is it expressed by victims of ALS themselves, but we have solid feedback from hundreds of neuros and ALS experts over the years. Real victims of ALS experience weakness by their inability to perform a motor function they previously were able to. For instance, an ALS story might go something like this: "One day I tried to unlock the deadbolt lock at my front door and it wouldn't work. I removed and reinserted my key several times but the lock was stuck and would not turn. I thought the lock was broken or I had the wrong key."-----this is very different than what we describe as "weakness". A real ALS victim "feels" normal, yet something doesn't work (failing). A BFS sufferer "feels" weak but we go about our day able to perform the same functions as we did the day before. Night and day.
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Postby Anxious guy on November 20th, 2013, 1:53 pm

I've heard that is the rule too... My legs have felt kinda weak and jelly like for a few days but I can still hop, jump, jog, stand on one foot etc... Squat up and down etc... I can't be weak or I couldn't do that but we do get these feeling as regular people or BFS people.. We as people with health anxiety tend to fixate on everything especially once we are on a heightened state of alert with all the twitching and highly anxiety and stress !
I'm trying to not think too much about my legs feeling that way as its only been a few days, you should try the same and listen to the members advice your getting as they have seen loads of people come and go to this forum with exactly the same issues.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby bubbles on November 20th, 2013, 3:32 pm

yulia and johnny you both are realy ''saints''!
i would be lost without you's and other members here with your reassurance and very informative advice :)
these last few posts have realy made sense to me! i mean my left leg is feeling funny and has been for a while but i can still do all activities of daily living,if it was something sinister i wouldnt be able to...right?
bubbles

Postby Anxious guy on November 20th, 2013, 4:00 pm

The worst thing you can actually do is keep worrying.. You sound like your still very anxious and that's not good.. Try to relax and focus on other stuff rather than symptoms and probable causes... It will help you.
Anxious guy
Hero
Hero

Postby johnnythejet on November 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm

bubbles wrote: i mean my left leg is feeling funny and has been for a while but i can still do all activities of daily living,if it was something sinister i wouldnt be able to...right?

Correct. If you were an actual ALS victim, your story would read more like "Everything feels fine but I can no longer walk and now reside in a wheel chair."
johnnythejet
Saint
Saint

Sponsor

Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences with BFS